NBA Finals 2014: Spurs vs. Heat vol. 2

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

What's gonna happen?

Spurs in 4
3%
Spurs in 5
19%
Spurs in 6
28%
Spurs in 7
9%
Heat in 4
3%
Heat in 5
No votes
Heat in 6
19%
Heat in 7
6%
Greg Popozits pulls a Jason Kidd inadvertently as he forgets his Proactive
3%
NBA gets lazy, just airs last year's finals
9%

Total votes : 32

Re: NBA Finals 2014: Spurs vs. Heat vol. 2

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:36 am

All championships are valid, really; asterisks are overblown, only there to make us feel better about results we don't like. At the end of the day, you play the opponent that shows up, and no matter how many lucky breaks you may get, you've had to put forth a tremendous effort to win a championship.

SoF'nAwesome wrote:I just pointed out to the fact that, I didn't see any of your naturally sorted posts in this thread like you usually do all the other times.

I'm not sure what you're talking about there.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Cpt(K) on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:46 am

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuzges ... rter_sport That is all, paint me whatever color seems appropriate. I don't like either of these teams, but the moment I saw that postseason (especially that one) I'd have to disagree. I would go as far as to say the Lakers don't deserve that 2002 championship. It forever will have an asterisk because of that massive controversy.
Cpt(K)

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:51 am

But as noted in this oral history, there's a lot more to the story. The Kings lost the series, so there's no talk of how they had the benefit of some questionable calls in the pivotal Game 5. With the Game 6 controversies, attention is drawn away from their own shortcomings - missed free throws and whatnot - in Game 7.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:55 am

Andrew wrote:All championships are valid, really; asterisks are overblown, only there to make us feel better about results we don't like. At the end of the day, you play the opponent that shows up, and no matter how many lucky breaks you may get, you've had to put forth a tremendous effort to win a championship.

well no matter how hard i try i can never consider the first ring they won legit, not when the nba handed wade his ring based on his ability to jump on the floor. also like cpt(k) said that game 6 lakers win was just stupid. there have been several cases over the years where you can point and say "the league picked the winner of this game before tip off". the kings, trailblazers, and sun all got fucked hard core in the past. the mavs were rapped by horrible calls against the heat the first time around. they shouldnt of even played that series and just said "fuck you cuban the heat are the champs"
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:00 am

There have been some really controversial games, no doubt, and that does mar the reputation of the league and its officials. All the same, we tend to place to much emphasis on those moments and games. Like I said, we don't talk about the games where bad calls favoured the team that ultimately lost the series. We talk about the calls that officials get wrong, but we don't talk about the ones they get right. We talk about how bad calls screwed over a team, but we don't talk about how teams screw themselves out of winning by failing to make adjustments, missing free throws, getting sloppy, or simply being outplayed.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:08 am

every team at some point has had the benefit of a blown call but some games you just cannot over look. the mavs series was 4 straight games of wade diving on his back and getting call after call and that game 6 lakers/kings game was probably the single worst game i have ever seen
Sauru

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:49 am

The Mavs deserved to lose that 2006 Finals for the simple fact that they allowed Antoine Walker to drive inside instead of shooting his 4-pointers.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Sauru on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:47 am

velvet bliss wrote:The Mavs deserved to lose that 2006 Finals for the simple fact that they allowed Antoine Walker to drive inside instead of shooting his 4-pointers.

but he only scored 2 at a time instead of 4. i thought it was a sound strategy
Sauru

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:10 pm

Sauru wrote:every team at some point has had the benefit of a blown call but some games you just cannot over look. the mavs series was 4 straight games of wade diving on his back and getting call after call and that game 6 lakers/kings game was probably the single worst game i have ever seen

So, Heat won that championship just because of Wade diving and not having any basketball talents whatsoever?
Last edited by SoF'nAwesome on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Sauru on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:14 pm

SoF'nAwesome wrote:
Sauru wrote:every team at some point has had the benefit of a blown call but some games you just cannot over look. the mavs series was 4 straight games of wade diving on his back and getting call after call and that game 6 lakers/kings game was probably the single worst game i have ever seen

So, Heat won that championship just because of Wade diving and having any basketball talents whatsoever?

those finals were horrible, worst finals i have ever watched. those finals are actually when i started to hate the heat, i actually liked them before that but watching the nba hand them the championship set me off. wade should of won an oscar not a ring
Sauru

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:19 pm

I agree with the diving performance to some extent, but you are totally underplaying them as a team.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:23 pm

I have to admit, I was happy to see the Heat win in 2006, as I was glad to see Zo and GP get their rings. I wish it could have been "cleaner", but Wade and the Heat figured out that the games were going to be called that way and took full advantage. The Mavericks failed to make adjustments and committed other blunders that cost them games that were still very winnable.

I don't disagree that there was some controversy in the officiating in that series, or that the changes in officiating that led to flopping at both ends of the court becoming more of an issue were a bad thing for the league, but the Mavs still had a chance to win that series, and faltered. I was glad to see them get revenge in 2011, however.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Mandich on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:53 pm

I haven't been online as of late, but I just can't let this go this easy.

sauru wrote:i just want to say congrats to the spurs for being the second best team in the nba again this season. 6 games from now you all can join me if you wish

NovU wrote:Nuf said.

Can we shut this thread down now please? Thank you.

stereoxide wrote:No "class" can stop unstoppable Bron Bron get his threepeat. Might as well cancel this faux series and just give the title to them. Heat are destined to win not one, not two, not three as our hero LeBron assured.

Here's a toast to you, kind gentlemen....FUCK YOU! (god I wish I was on the forums at the time)
Mandich
Muffin Button

Postby _Steve_ on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:07 am

Even if God does, I do not...
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby Mandich on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:32 am

_Steve_ wrote:Even if God does, I do not...

That's okay by me. I'm still gonna speak my mind, irky or not.
Mandich
Muffin Button

Postby _Steve_ on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:30 am

Better use your mind before speaking. ;)
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby NovU on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:37 am

Don't call lord's name in vain, you insolent europeans.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Mandich on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:03 am

_Steve_ wrote:Better use your mind before speaking. ;)

Well, for someone telling me to use my mind(and I've already clarified that I'm an idiot, like a hundred times) you should've realized that I was just fooling around with the guys who never gave anyone other then the Heat a shot at the title. Oh and I'm quite fond of the Spurs, but clearly you don't know that.

Even if God does, I do not...

Again, fine by me. But you should read my statement again, H-town dude.

I wrote:(god I wish I was on the forums at the time)
Mandich
Muffin Button

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat May 18, 2019 5:44 am

sorry for the bump... but it's priceless :

sticky-fingers

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball