I have a theory (I'm a hoops philospher)

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

I have a theory (I'm a hoops philospher)

Postby madhooper on Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:03 am

Everyone talks about how the Lakers are unstoppable. Teams spend too much time trying to stop him and the other guys really kill you.

Here's my theory

Wilt Chamberlain once scored 100 pts in a game and his team still lost.

What if other teams stop worrying about Shaq (the most he'd score is 70) and stopped everyone else.

You see this all the time. One stat (i.e. Iverson) scores 50 and they still lose.

Theory: ONE MAN CAN'T BEAT YOU THE ENTIRE GAME!

Horry killed SAC!
Kobe killed SAC!
Fisher killed SAC!
even Fox (he looks gay but I want his wife) killed SAC!

not Shaq, regardless of what one player does if only he scores you will probably still win.

Ask M.J. about those early Bulls teams. He'd score tons of points and lose to the Pistons.

Even if Kobe and Shaq for for 35 points each (not likely every game in a 7 game series) scores in the West are in the 60's or low 70's.

This is just a thought.
madhooper

Postby TheBob on Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:53 am

Well teams are already starting to give up on just trying to stop Shaq and are focusing more on Kobe. However, if teams ever do just give up on those two and just try and stop the role players they WILL lose. Those two players take the majority of the shots on their team and will always score the majority of the team's points. Those two players alone CAN and will beat other teams. If you refuse to double either of them it then becomes quite possible for them to both go for 40+. Just add a few garbage layups and open looks by some other teamates and that gives you the W. In my opinion, I really don't think this would work.
TheBob

Postby :digerati: on Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:55 am

Wilt Chamberlain once scored 100 pts in a game and his team still lost.

Actually...his team won...by 22 points...
:digerati:

ok

Postby madhooper on Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:57 am

my bad

but what about my theory?
madhooper

Postby :digerati: on Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:03 am

What about your theory? Old news...I've been advocating that theory for 3 years, as have many others...then again, the same idea has always been around for Jordan, Iverson, etc. yet no one ever really seems to use it...

IMO, my better theory is one I've tried to explain to Pabel numerous times that uses a triangle to cut off Shaq's passing lanes while double teaming him, but also leaves enough time to rotate incase he does manage to pass out...almost any team in the league could use it...and effectively...
:digerati:

Postby mana on Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:22 pm

The same theory or method have been applied in the pervious playoff.
The Bulls used to put Rodman on Malone and cut off his passing angle to the other 4. Instead of actual doubling Malone, 4 others Bulls are standing in a formation with all their hands up high close enough to cut off his passing lane. There was a photograph long time ago of Malone guarding by Rodman but actually surrounded by the others 4 Bulls players in the lane. The Bulls in the entire series vs Jazz never intended to shut him down, Malone would put up his so called MVP numbers while the rest of the Jazz didn't shoot a very high%.

Last year playoff against the Spur, they let Duncan score at will and double him at the 4th quarter and cut off his passing lane result in most of his teammate overreact to it or choke on their jumpers. The early Jazz and Spur both have a domiant foward but no real second scoring option. They relied on passing out double team, screen, in Utah case pick and roll. Letting one's team primary player score at will works as long as you can make sure the rest of their team is shut down completely. The lakers have two primary offensive players, both capable of putting 40+, Shaq can be leave alone but Bryant will still put up big numbers. Leaving Shaq with 40+ point is the only option since it takes more than one player to stop him but no team can be sure that they can shut down Kobe completely without a double team.
mana

Postby VC416 on Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:32 am

HOLLA AT A 1-3-1 ZONE
VC416

Return to NBA & Basketball