danny fortson

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

danny fortson

Postby mp3 on Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:46 pm

can someone please tell me why danny fortson has been benched this year, he averaged 11.70rpg last year and the year before was averaging 16.30rpg until he was hit by injury.this year only 13.1mpg with 4.30rpg, what happened? what did he do wrong? and if he is in the dog house why wasn't he traded.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:34 pm

The emergence of Troy Murphy and the continued steady play of Jamison (who seems to prefer the PF spot) has meant less minutes for Fortson. I read a couple of articles that offered trade possibilities that included Fortson, but I guess the Warriors weren't satisfied with the various scenarios and have elected to keep him around, at least until this offseason.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:42 pm

i heard that they were trying to offload dampier, that might have made some time for him. his talent is been wasted, but the warriors are playing great now so you know what they say, if it aint broken dont fix it. lets hope we see better things for him next year
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:49 pm

Do you think the Warriors would play Fortson at centre though? I remember he played centre earlier in his career, and started in the middle for Denver in his rookie season. There's even more big men in the West these days though, and Fortson, while he has bulk, does not have the height of a natural centre.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:23 pm

i would play him at centre against some of the smaller teams from the east, like you said he lacks height and centre skills and has never been able to block a shot unlike Adonal Foyle (2.34bpg) who has been filling the back up c/pf role. ive just checked troy's numbers and you are right he is playing good and has a bright future. also ive just ordered a warriors pontel vid so i will able to jugde for myself, thanks for your insight :wink:
mp3

Postby Gaucho on Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:29 am

Take out his rebounding ability and he was a liability for the Warriors, as he struggled on D, while in O he had really bad hands and almost no moves. Sadly the Warriors can't put a man there just to rebound, we led or were amoung league leading rebounding in the past years, and I guess u know our records in those seasons :P We need to keep improving our FG % and D if we want to achieve nything. And having 1 less option to shoot the ball (Troy has pretty good jumper) wouldn't help, besides we r among league leaders in reb without Danny (Murphy avg over 10 rebs and 10 pts)
Nyway I'd like to see him playing for a Warriors team that can finally pull some wins, maybe that would encourage him and perform better.
Not til we r out of playoffs race though :P
Gaucho

Postby benji on Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:22 am

Andrew wrote:started in the middle for Denver in his rookie season.

Tony Battie/Dean Garrett?

Fortson doesn't work hard and doesn't play any defense...I think that's what ticked off Musselhead...also, he has the tendancy to put his stats first...unlike say Wallace or Duncan who get their boards in the flow of the game, Fortson would often leave his man to be in position for another rebound...I remember when he'd leave two people for Antoine Walker to guard and as we all know, Walker doesn't really guard one guy...let alone two...
benji

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:24 pm

I believe it was only for the last couple of months of the season...it could have been his second year in Denver actually. I remember reading an article back in 1998 about it. Either way, his height would most likely be a disadvantage at the centre position.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby MaD_hAND1e on Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:23 pm

Gaucho wrote:Take out his rebounding ability and he was a liability for the Warriors, as he struggled on D, while in O he had really bad hands and almost no moves. Sadly the Warriors can't put a man there just to rebound, we led or were amoung league leading rebounding in the past years, and I guess u know our records in those seasons :P We need to keep improving our FG % and D if we want to achieve nything. And having 1 less option to shoot the ball (Troy has pretty good jumper) wouldn't help, besides we r among league leaders in reb without Danny (Murphy avg over 10 rebs and 10 pts)
Nyway I'd like to see him playing for a Warriors team that can finally pull some wins, maybe that would encourage him and perform better.
Not til we r out of playoffs race though :P

wtf? when he started for the warriors in 2001, he averaged 16.7 ppg plus the 16 rebounds. how the hell do u get 16 ppg with no moves....?
MaD_hAND1e

Postby Rens on Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:30 pm

Fortson used to play SF for the Nuggets, not C. But when you list the positions like PG, SG, SF, PF, C, then SF is in the middle ;)
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby Drex on Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:06 am

LOL, but still in the middle :D :wink: :P
Drex
You bastards!!!

Postby Gaucho on Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:56 am

wtf? when he started for the warriors in 2001, he averaged 16.7 ppg plus the 16 rebounds. how the hell do u get 16 ppg with no moves....?

It was only 6 games, and the points mostly came after offensive rebounds. He can hit a lil jumper from the side, but not from too far.
Gaucho

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:42 am

Dan Gadzuric wrote:Fortson used to play SF for the Nuggets, not C. But when you list the positions like PG, SG, SF, PF, C, then SF is in the middle ;)

:lol:

I swear I remember reading an article about one of the teams he played for trying him at centre... (a "scratching head" smiley is definitely needed here :wink:)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:20 pm

danny has played centre before

http://www.s-t.com/daily/03-00/03-06-00/d03sp093.htm

thats all i could find before i fall asleep ( its 2.10am! )

i have seen it in the stats from some mag, when he was at denver, i will have to dig them out and scan them

www.hoopstuff.co.uk

Last edited by mp3 on Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:28 pm

Thanks mp3. :) I knew I had read it somewhere, and that it had only been for a brief period of time.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball