Riley blasts refs again

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Riley blasts refs again

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:40 pm

I was going to call this thread "Pat gets Riled up over officiating", but resisted the temptation. :wink:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=230205014

From playing basketball myself, with games often officiated by individuals who should never be given a whistle and a striped shirt, I admit I'm fairly pro-player/coach, anti-official in these kinds of situations. Still, this caught my eye.

"It's not about you," Stafford shouted at Riley. "Go on TV crying."

Any time we mention crying in that context, we're basically telling someone that we want them to "shut up and stop your bitching", because we are irritated by their complaints. But I think when a person such as a sports official uses those words, they are showing bias. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but when Derrick Stafford said that, it sounded more like "You're a complainer, we're not ever going to be charitable in our calls when you're involved, no matter how much you publically complain." Fair call? In a way, yes, publically blasting an official is not a great strategy in a professional sporting league. An unbiased official? Hardly.

Referees are only human, so they are subject to the same faults that we all are, faults we classify as being human nature. Riley's stance on the officiating is certainly not going to result in a good relationship with NBA referees. But Riley's reaction to what he feels is injustice is also human nature. The only difference is, Riley can be fined for submitting to human nature, officials can't.

Same as the whole Rasheed Wallace business. The league admitted that there was no physical contact, and the suspension (which was the largest for an incident that did not involve physical contact, and more than twice as long as Chris Mills' suspension for his post-game actions which required police assistance) was handed down due to his Sheed's past. I don't know about any other country's legal system, but in Australia, past convictions and charges cannot be used when trying or sentencing an offender. The same should go for pro sports, where players like Sheed are guilty until proven innocent. That's not to say Sheed wasn't in the wrong, but there was never any consideration that the official did anything wrong either. It was alleged that the official responded to Sheed - I'm sure he wasn't pulled aside and told "In the future, don't respond in that way."

I guess it's ironic that Riley would be complaining about not getting calls when the opposing team was the Blazers, a team with an even worse rapport with the officials. I'm surprised the free throw attempts weren't closer for the two teams - along the lines of zero apiece. :wink:
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JJcoolL on Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:56 pm

the lakers will win the championship
JJcoolL

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:07 pm

I don't think I ever disputed or discussed that claim in my post.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JJcoolL on Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:26 pm

but u believe that they won't, don't u mr. gaze?
JJcoolL

Postby Rens on Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:35 pm

Well referees will never be un-biased, and no matter what they do there can always be errors found which they made. Even when people win a game they take shots at the refs (we only won because we were playing so great, but officials were definately trying to hold us back!)
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:35 pm

Gaze? Thanks for the compliment, but I'll never be what Andrew Gaze is to Australian basketball. I doubt I'll ever get the opportunity to play 19 games for a championship winning NBA team either. :)

In another thread I did discuss the Lakers' prospects of winning the 2003 title, but this is not the thread. I created this thread for the discussion of another topic.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Matthew on Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:46 pm

I agree referee's will never be perfect, but I think all anyone really wants is consistancy..
Matthew

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:52 pm

I believe that's what Riley is after - if a call is made at one end, the same call should be made at the other. The only consistency that exists right now seems to be that the Heat attempt far fewer free throws than their opponents. I'm not a Heat fan, but I can understand how Riley feels about officiating blunders.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Matthew on Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:15 pm

Yep definately. I hope Pat gets Lebron James for the last 2 seasons he's had to put up with... and im not a heat fan either...
Matthew

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:31 pm

If Mourning can return to action, that would give them a pretty formidable team...LeBron, Zo, Grant, Butler, Jones...all that's missing is a good point guard (though Best is alright). With those players, maybe Riley won't have to worry about calls deciding the outcome of the game...and tell Steve Javie that it's a pleasure not to give him the satisfaction of watching his team die. :wink:
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby scubilete on Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:31 pm

I said in another thread, Riley was able to get more out of his team, they have good prospects there and a superstar. The problem he has been trying to blame the refs. for everything that his team is going thru and that's not how he should manage the team.

Regarding the PG, they should get Hardaway back, at least that way I don't have to hear his stupid comments about the game showing in ESPN.
scubilete

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:43 am

Tim Hardaway did cross my mind, though they'd probably want a younger PG...and Tim Bug probably doesn't feel too good about the Heat after the dispute that led to his departure back in 2001.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby scubilete on Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:04 am

Yes, I know, I just hope Tim finds another job soon or I'll finish hating him as a Basket Analist.
scubilete

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:56 pm

It seems as though the league is going to actually investigate a referee's conduct, as well as disciplining Pat Riley:

NBA looking into conduct of Riley and Stafford
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball