Vince may play in the allstar!

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Vince may play in the allstar!

Postby emadhn15 on Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:29 pm

According to this, Vince may play in the allstar game if he is fully recovered! Well,,, that is some how of a relief! I guess :roll:

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/news_story.asp?ID ... ubName=nba
emadhn15

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:33 pm

Could be good news for the Raptors, a sign that his rehab is going well.
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Big Answer on Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:51 pm

Hope he'll play, just think in tha show it will bring!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go for it Vince!!! :wink:
Big Answer

Postby Boyk on Sat Jan 18, 2003 4:35 am

alrite this guy is 100% lazy or cant hack tough defence or something
hes too hurt to play a real nba game but hes gonna go and play in a all-star game, which practically means nothing and risk injury again.
he has to playa game where no one plays defence............yer great player!! :roll: :roll:
Thanks to TEH G.O.A.T for Sig
Formerly known as Laddas
Watch out for Kobe,Melo n the Lakers!
Boyk

Postby TheBob on Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:36 am

If he had the choice he'd be playing now but his doctors won't let him, therefore I doubt those same doctors would let him play in the all-star game unless he was 100%.
TheBob

Postby Wall St. Peon on Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:19 am

Laddas_KB8 wrote:alrite this guy is 100% lazy or cant hack tough defence or something
hes too hurt to play a real nba game but hes gonna go and play in a all-star game, which practically means nothing and risk injury again.
he has to playa game where no one plays defence............yer great player!!

Yeah, I bet he fakes all those knee surgeries, too. He probably doesn't know how to dribble, he fakes it all. And the dunking? He has little rockets in his shoes so he can jump so high. The shooting? They make the hoop bigger for him. The dribbling? He travels all the time, but they don't call it.

He just wants to play basketball. If the first opportunity he gets is the All-Star game, so be it. It's probably less of a risk of injury than a real game because no defense is being played...that's how Vince has gotten hurt, because people foul him hard.
Shane
Wall St. Peon

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:24 pm

And as Vince himself pointed out, he would not be required to play as many minutes as he would for the Raptors. A relatively brief appearance to appease/recognise the fans might be a good way for him to prepare for the all-important second half of the season (though the Raptors are 9 games out of 8th place in the East as it stands today, so a run at the playoffs would have to be a very good one).
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby raptor15 on Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:56 pm

Well, I think these hopes are uncalled for. Here is a news article:

The word the surgeon used was done. As in finished. As in over. As in Vince Carter's career.

"There is serious risk that he is done," said Dr. Robert Gordon, the well-regarded Toronto orthopedic surgeon. "It's very sad."

The word the Raptors used was nonsense.

"His career is not in jeopardy," said Glen Grunwald, the general manager. "I don't want to respond to a doctor who is treating people without knowing what he's talking about. We've consulted with the best doctors. The people who have examined Vince would disagree with (what he's saying)."

SHUT HIM DOWN

And so the story goes on.

Vince Carter isn't playing. The Raptors say he will be back before this season is over. Dr. Gordon said the team "should definitely shut him down for the year. He has an injury that has a healing time of three to six months. You have to rehab it in order to get better.

"It needs four to five hours a day for that kind of rehab. This is bad luck for Vince, bad luck for the team, and I'd hate to be the insurance company that has his contract."

With Carter, it seems, nothing ever is cut and dried. Rarely is anything completely clear. Last Friday, he was practising, hoping to play, figuring to be on the court by Sunday at the latest. Later that same day, he was told to stop practising, sent for another opinion with Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, and then told to give it a rest for the time being.

The only thing more battered than Carter's knees these days is the Raptors medical staff. And both are in need of regular evaluation.

The concern that Gordon sees is for Carter's right knee, the second knee he injured this season. At first, it was believed the original left knee injury that kept Carter out of games last season, sent him to surgery and brought him back for camp, was the more severe of the two injuries.

Gordon believes the opposite.

"He has a partial tear, from reading the report of Dr. (Doug) Richards. He could tear his whole tendon off the patella. If he did that, he would be done. The risk of tendon tear is going to be there. To do what Vince does, you need incredible force. You can go across the knee with such strength, you can rip (the tendon) off."

Grunwald, for his part, wishes Gordon would shut his mouth. In fact, he would welcome it. He questions the ethics of a doctor offering medical opinions on a patient of which he has not treated. "If he's got something to say, why doesn't he call me?" said Grunwald. "He hasn't treated Vince, hasn't seen the MRIs, how can he know what's going on?"

But Gordon maintains he is very familiar with the kind of injury. "I see kids with this injury almost every day," he said.

And he offers a unique perspective on Carter's absence from Raptors games.

In fact, Gordon goes against conventional wisdom, dispelling the popular notion that Carter can't play with pain and has sat out longer than his injuries have dictated.

"If this is indeed his injury, he is far from a dog," said Gordon. "In fact, he's a bulldog. I don't care if you're Suzy Q, Arnold Schwarzenegger or Vince Cater, if you've got that injury, you're not playing.

"This is a bad injury and he's not dogging it. This is a bad problem. You have to be shut down and do serious rehab to get it back. This is hard and intense rehab. And from everything I hear, he's doing it."

There is little doubt in Gordon's mind that Carter shouldn't play again this season. Why risk it? "The risk is you tear the whole tendon off. Then what do you have?" Gordon said.

NOT IN DOUBT

Grunwald is steadfast that Carter's career is not in doubt and reacts with uncharacteristic anger when asked to comment on outside medical opinions. Carter will be back. He will be healthy. He will play for the Raptors again -- he just may not fly as high.

With Vince Carter, there always are questions, always doubts: His life and his career has turned into a round table waiting to happen. Gentleman, start your opinions.

He either will be back or never play again. He either is brave or a coward. Nothing about him ever is apparent. It all depends upon whose view you seek.

Hmm. Very interesting. Possibly career ending. :( bad!
raptor15

Postby TheBob on Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:20 pm

No, not possibly career ending....thats just one crazy doctor's opinion. No one else has come up with that opinion and the Raptors say it's complete bullshit.
TheBob

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:34 pm

While I wouldn't normally dismiss the words of an experienced medical professional, his words are coming despite not having treated Carter or even seen his test results, so it's merely speculation. Still, if indeed his assumption is correct, it's bad news. I think that we should believe the guys who are actually treating Vince Carter though.
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Ugur on Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:22 am

i hope he would be fully revovered and play in all-star.
also i dont think his career is in danger.
one more thing ,i heard rumours about Carter-Miles+İlgauskas trade.
is that possible ?
Ugur

Postby Boyk on Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:35 am

it would be good to see vince in the all-star game, coz he is one of the most exciting players when he is playin like the rela vince
but all i was trying to point out was, look at what happened to penny, he came off an injury and then got injure a week later and was out for the whole season.
Thanks to TEH G.O.A.T for Sig
Formerly known as Laddas
Watch out for Kobe,Melo n the Lakers!
Boyk

Postby Rens on Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:33 am

Vince is such a pussy trying to get back 2 months after his injury while there stands 3-6 months for it...
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:56 am

one more thing ,i heard rumours about Carter-Miles+İlgauskas trade.
is that possible ?

I believe those rumours were dispelled, they were apparently published by a not-so-reputable newspaper.

Vince is such a pussy trying to get back 2 months after his injury while there stands 3-6 months for it...

Yes, I too think this should show that Vince does have the determination to return to the court, but is this another case of a thin line between bravado and stupidity? Vince and the Raptors could be so anxious to prove the injury is not as serious as that doctor is saying, they could go against the advice of the team doctors (who still want him to sit for a while) and rush his return, causing further and more serious injury. No doubt it's killing Vince to be on the sidelines watching the Raptors rack up a losing record, but right now getting healthy is more important than risking re-injury just to shut a few people up - because you know those people will keep talking if the injury re-occurs due to an early return.
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball