Is expansion good for next year?

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Is expansion good for next year?

Postby mkool8 on Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:14 am

I heard that there is going to be a new team in Charlotte. Personally I think there's already too many teams in the league.

Here's an article that sums up my view on this topic: http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/smith_sam/1460677.html
mkool8

Postby BIG GREEN on Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:06 am

I think it would be good..make it an exact 30 teams in the nba...if for no other reason :)
A big fan of the emerald hue and much higher state of being/
Yohance "thug" Bailey on the scene...now known as Big Green/
BIG GREEN

Postby DR. P on Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:13 am

I'm with thug here. I always think expansion is good, but especially from an economic standpoint. That's 15-17 guys that'll be playing in the NBA [for a "modest" salary :D ] instead of bagging groceries. And I'm all for keeping unemployment down.

Best,

P
DR. P

Postby Jowe on Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:51 am

Another expansion team would mean a couple of more guys would get drafted in the.......draft :roll:
Fee Nick's Uns [15-10] says:
i'd suck allen iverson's cock any day -
Fee Nick's Uns [15-10] says:
just so i could say i've met allen iverson
Jowe

Postby :digerati: on Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:02 pm

As much as I'd like to see Charlotte get a team...Expansion is watering down the league, Bird and Magic played in an eaiser league than Wilt and Russell, and Jordan and Hakeem played in an even eaiser one...true, the recent influx of young talent entering earlier has brought the league back up...but I still think 12-15 more roster slots (not 15-17) would just invite more poor tall players with "potential" that never become anything into the league for us to have to stomach watching...
:digerati:

Postby Sedge on Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:03 pm

I think to even it up you would want 32 or 28 teams (7 or 8 in each) but 32 is too many and 28 has been and gone. 30 is better than 29 simply to even out the conferences. Have they talked about re-alignment? You would think that would have to happen. Ideally I'd go with 3 divvys in each of 5 but one would think that probably wouldn't be in thier minds although it would be something for them to think about for symmetry if not anything else.
Sedge

Postby :digerati: on Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:16 pm

they are gonna split it up into 6 divisions...

Postby mkool8 on Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:33 am

From a business standpoint, expansion is a really good idea. But as a fan of the game, I think it hurts it. How many ugly/uncompetetive games have you seen this season? There is not much rivalry anymore, the Knicks and Heat have a good rivalry but it's no longer as intense as before because they haven't faced each other in a while in the playoffs. The Kings and Laker rivalry is great, but their next game is not until Christmas.

If there ware no Grizz, Raptors, Camby, Bibby, and Reef might have played for a playoff team in their rookie year. Because they're going to have an immediate impact in a decent team rather than in a starting franchise.
mkool8

Postby EGarrett on Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:15 am

electroencephalographic wrote:As much as I'd like to see Charlotte get a team...Expansion is watering down the league, Bird and Magic played in an eaiser league than Wilt and Russell, and Jordan and Hakeem played in an even eaiser one...true, the recent influx of young talent entering earlier has brought the league back up...but I still think 12-15 more roster slots (not 15-17) would just invite more poor tall players with "potential" that never become anything into the league for us to have to stomach watching...

In 1965 there were 14 teams in the league (I might be off by one or two). The world population was roughly 3 billion people. Today there are 29 teams in the league...and the world's population is roughly 6 billion people. More of the world's countries are sending players to compete for roster spots in the league also...so is the league really watered down?
EGarrett

Postby mkool8 on Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:55 am

In a way the league is a little bit watered down. Now, the casual NBA fans no longer watch games, they wait for the playoffs to start. Even I'm having a hard time watching today's games. Some are just boring, maybe there is a stretch when it's exciting, but usually it doesn't last as long as a quarter. And, a lot of players in the league right now who are starting that are not supposed to. I'm not going to cite any specific players. You know who they are. I just can't help but cringe when I see players miss wide open jumpers, or even worse wide open layups.
mkool8

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:34 pm

On the league is watered down discussion...

As much as I love highlight reels, spectacular dunks and great plays, I think a lot of younger players today are trying to mark their mark on the game as showmen, rather than competitors. Either that or they are one dimensional, talented in one facet of the game but they haven't been well-schooled in all facets of the game...especially fundamentals.

It all comes back to the "Potential pays off" idea. Moses Malone jumped from high school and was a perennial All-Star who ranks among the career leaders in various categories. Shawn Kemp came out of junior college, raw but with potential, and had a few good seasons as the Reignman. Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant are the latest potential stars to become stars. That's why guys who shouldn't be picked so high in the draft or shouldn't be starting are getting picked first overall or start most of their team's games - the idea that guys with potential, if given the minutes, will produce.

As far as expansion goes, we know how expansion teams go their first couple of seasons. A mix of unproven players with potential and some veterans who have worn out their welcome elsewhere, or want to recapture their glory days by going to a new team that needs a leader - not only in terms of maturity, but also statistically.

I'm not in favour of reorganising the divisions (into 6) though. Since division leaders are ranked 1st and 2nd in their respective conference ie. the leader of the Pacific and Midwest divisions will always be 1st and 2nd in the West, the leader of the Central and Atlantic divisions will always be 1st and 2nd in the East, some weaker teams are going to get high playoff seedings - at least if my understanding about the rules is correct.

To me, it seems easier to keep the four divisions, with a 15th team added to the West (meaning one of the Central teams will have to move west, if a new team is going to be in Charlotte).
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:18 pm

I'm with mkool - please, no more expansion! That plus too many games is killing the league. If anything, the NBA should eliminate some teams(I always thought it was a mistake to put teams in Canada). Something has to be done to improve the quality of the game.

The NBA(and NHL) are playoff leagues. Aside from a few marquee matchups, I don't get juiced up for the regular season. Too many mediocre teams playing meaningless games(would anyone here watch Memphis-Cleveland?). Since the league only sees dollar signs, we will see new teams in the future.
Jeffx

Postby CRanga on Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:23 pm

I cannot believe that they are thinking of adding another team to the NBA. I mean, as if the low scores and terrible shooting isn't bad enough, they want to spread what talent there is even further.

The article on ESPN's website discusses this subject fairly well, in my mind contraction is the ONLY solution to the poor play being exhibited in the NBA now.

I say reduce the number of teams to 20, 10 in each conference and no divisions (it only complicates things that don't need to be complicated), and have the top 4 from each conference going to the playoffs.

This will mean that every team in the league should have more talent, scores will increase, the level of play will increase, attendance will increase, and profits will increase. In the long run this will be far more beneficial than simply adding more teams, and may even help David Stern curtail the ratings drop that has been happening for the past few years. Why try and increase enthusiasm for the league and the finances of owners by adding teams when it can be done by subtracting them? This will allow the owners to make their money, because aside from Mark Cuban that's all they really care about, and the fans to get what they truly deserve.

CRanga
CRanga

Postby Rens on Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:19 am

Expansion is good cause there will be 15 less capable veterans sitting in their back yard because teams won't spend money of them in favour of unproven young players who make a lot less.
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby CRanga on Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:55 am

I would prefer 15 veterans who can play the game rather than 15 younhsters who can't. I don't think i'm alone in this either.

CRanga
CRanga

Postby :digerati: on Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:12 pm

I always thought it was a mistake to put teams in Canada

Me too...It is the National Basketball Association...now Stern wants European teams? Nothing says national like teams in other countries...

That's a very very good article by Sam Smith...

Postby VC416 on Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:34 am

NO MORE TEAMS!

look at the NHL, they expanded too much and theres nowhere near enough talent to go around.

29 is a nice number anyway
VC416

Postby Jeffx on Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:40 am

Or look at Major League Baseball...too many teams, man.
Jeffx

Postby mana on Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:59 am

NBA is following the MLB and NHL, lots of teams not enough quality players to go around. Very soon there will be 2-3 NBA teams in very major cities begin with the same cities name but a differnt logos.. By then, there would be over 1000 players in the league but more than half of them couldn't even def a simple pick and roll. Even now most young <have so called high upside> players couldn't even def a pick and run a effective screen without messing up the play.
mana

Postby TheBob on Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:09 am

I think most would agree that expansion at this point is bad for the league. However, there's money to be made by doing it, so chances are that there will be expansion over the next few years. After all, money is what makes the world go around.
TheBob

RE

Postby JOSEPATCHES on Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:28 am

I think that there are a lot of bad players in the actual NBA.One team more?It will be perfect.There aren´t enough superstars players in the world so I guess that every year we will find more bad players in the NBA
JOSEPATCHES

Postby Nick on Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:23 pm

There would be more of a chance to get into the NBA (from a scouts perspective),

An Aussie might even get drafted...that would be cool...

And i like the sound of 30 teams rather than 29...

I like this expeansion :idea:
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Return to NBA & Basketball