Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby NovU on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Another poor shooting performance by Lonzo but triple double and win that came with game high 29+ plus minus is extremely promising. Imagine when he gets his shooting right, oh boy. But shooting talent is not something you can vastly improve unless you are born with it. MCW for example... That is also I find him interesting, how Lonzo will develop his game, either to cover his weakness or to actually improve on shooting.

Great to see the Lakers fighting for the PO spot. It has been awhile for the Lakers.

Kuzma on the other hand is also excellent. How high do you guys think is his ceiling tho?
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:49 pm

He has shooting talent, look at his shooting percentages in college. He's shooting 47% from the line, which is the same distance in college that he shot a MUCH higher percentage (67%). He also shot 5.4 threes a game in college and shot over 40%, granted not the same distance, but it's safe to say he can shoot. I think it's a combination of nerves and just overall adjusting to the NBA game. I think he can be exploited more in the NBA by just a better talent base, but he CAN shoot. I look at Kevin Martin as a good example of a player with an unorthodox shot that succeeded, Lonzos release isn't as quick (and I think alot of it has to do with his feet), but maybe he can develop a quicker release with a different base.

And shooting talent isn't necessarily something you are born with, it's repetition and overall practice. I wouldn't be able to pick up the ball for the first time ever and just shoot and hit shots because I was "born with it". I would have to develop a form, practice it, practice it in different situations, etc.

The problem with his game is he can only pull from one side of the floor (unless he is wide open), and hes not confident getting to the hoop yet.

Also, numerous players have improved there shots or forms in order to achieve a better shooting percentage or overall just be more effective. Andre Drummond is a great example with his free throws, he completely changed his free throw style, practiced it, and became a much better free throw shooter.

Great pace by him in this game though, he was all over the place. Great energy and hustle. That was a Westbrook type triple double, where he was flying around the floor just basically getting his hands dirty. He had a couple nice drives to the hoop, and the one handed tip in on the alley oop showed nice touch. He also had a few hockey assists when he was leading fastbreaks.

Kuzma is crafty, so many different ways he can score. His ceiling as a player is a tough one. I've watched a number of Lakers games, and hes impressed me in every one. He certainly has the potential to be a multiple time all star. I like his intensity, and confidence. He has a great opportunity to shine this season with a team that's so young.

I want to watch him more this season to come up with a possible player ceiling comparison.

Another thing to keep in mind with this game, Jokic and Mike Malone were ejected in the second quarter, and Millsap exited with a sprained wrist. Yes, the Lakers were up by like 15 or 16 when the ejection happened, and I still think the Lakers win this game, but just something to keep in mind.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am

Keep in mind for what?

Gotta give Corey Brewer a shoutout too. Old fella out there stripping young guys on back to back plays just makes me giddy. Great presence on the team, he's always giving it his all and after years of lackadaisical play, that's super refreshing to see. Glad to see Josh Hart get minutes again too, was hoping for a T. Bryant sighting there at the end, but alas.
Jackal

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:25 am

Just saying the Nuggets weren't at full strength for over half the game. Still a great performance by the young Lakers.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:18 am

Jackal wrote:Keep in mind for what?

Gotta give Corey Brewer a shoutout too. Old fella out there stripping young guys on back to back plays just makes me giddy. Great presence on the team, he's always giving it his all and after years of lackadaisical play, that's super refreshing to see. Glad to see Josh Hart get minutes again too, was hoping for a T. Bryant sighting there at the end, but alas.

I like Bryant way more than zubac but unfortunately looks like he's behind him on the depth chart.

I still cringe at the number of 3s they take. Kuz and Julius I don't mind so much but Lopez pulling up for 3 on a fast break and kcp jacking them up makes me cringe, especially with him barely cracking 30%. I don't like those chances.

There was no reason why they should have lost to phx. I mean Booker was hitting some ridiculous shots but those scrubs ulis and James were dominating
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kevin on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:54 am

[Q], that fucking 2 on 1 fastbreak they had and KCP just pulls up a 3 smh

NovU, I'm trying to be positive and tell myself that some rooks like Lonzo struggle to find their shots on their rookie year but slowly improve as the season goes. Also, I think scoring can be taught unlike getting assists by having great court vision.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby NovU on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:44 pm

I read coach told Lonzo to get smarter at shot selection a couple days ago. Perhaps he's forcing a little bit under pressure.

Kevin wrote:Also, I think scoring can be taught unlike getting assists by having great court vision.

well said kev. Not bad for a med school drop out.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:00 am

I've been mentioning Kevin Martin even before Lonzo had his first NBA game. I agree with Billups, those two should connect.

Martin's shot was super awkward and similar to Balls, but he was a damn good shooter in the NBA.

http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/11/22/chauncey-billups-says-kevin-martin-who-had-a-funky-looking-shot-can-help-lonzo-ball-with-his-video/

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:50 pm

phpBB [video]

Nance should be back after the thanksgiving break, should he be back in the starting line up or should he come off the bench and let Kuzma start?

Interesting tidbit about Ball; he averages 7 assists both on the road and at home. No real advantage at home.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:05 pm

Frustrating to watch Nance take minutes away from kuz. In crunch time kuz was sitting and watching. Should have beaten the clips with no Griffin but too many mental mistakes at the end. And lou williams.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:38 am

That loss is on Walton. He had no business playing Ball over Clarkson and Nance over Kuz in the last few minutes. Also why not have Kus and Randle in there when Randle has been amazing on the defensive end? Lou-Will just drove past Nance like he was BroLo.

Real shame, after Blake went down there was no reason Nance should've been in there instead of Randle and Kuz. That was a very winnable game.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:52 am

Yeah I don't know where they get the idea that Nance is better for defensive purposes but randle after he got his shit together has by far been the best defensive big on the team. He should start next to Lopez. Also Nance doesn't really offer much on offense and they were basically playing 5 on 4 on offense when they needed a bucket

we already had an idea where kuz belongs on the team but with Nance's injury, Randle has shown that Nance is the third best option out of the three
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:12 pm

hey can you guys start to lose a few more games? possibly fall somewhere in the bottom 2-5 of the league? would be really cool of you, thanks
Sauru

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:20 pm

HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby [Q] on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:48 pm

Sauru wrote:hey can you guys start to lose a few more games? possibly fall somewhere in the bottom 2-5 of the league? would be really cool of you, thanks

I wouldn't mind losing the pick, but I'd mind the losing. Was expecting to contend for a playoff spot. You can have the pick. Kuz basically an extra lottery pick this year
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:11 pm

Fuck that. Hope the pick goes to Philly since we're predetermined to lose it anyway. Fuck Boston.
Jackal

Postby Sauru on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:08 pm

Jackal wrote:Fuck that. Hope the pick goes to Philly since we're predetermined to lose it anyway. Fuck Boston.

dear god not philly.
Sauru

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Jackal wrote:Fuck that. Hope the pick goes to Philly since we're predetermined to lose it anyway. Fuck Boston.

Oh yeah I wouldn't mind losing it to Philly. Fuck Boston.

Randle almost won that game for the Lakers at the end of regulation with his defense. He's becoming a great defender before our eyes. With kuz out, there's no point in putting in Nance or Lopez
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:57 am

LOL idiots arguing with me on the Lakers facebook page about how Nance "has a high ceiling" and is a "great defender" and how garbage Randle is. Then the Lakers post an article about how Randle's versatility on defense has been helping the team and that Kuzma is the rookie of the month.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:21 pm

Nance isn't going to be more than he is now I think, this is who he is. Randle has been a beast defensively since like the first three games of this season. I'm so glad he's embraced coming off the bench in shorter spurts, his energy has been so enjoyable to watch.

I hope he remains consistent in his effort for the rest of his career and doesn't become Faried-ish showing up for some games and just phoning it in others after he gets paid.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:09 pm

So what's randle position moving forward?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:54 pm

I think they'll try to move him along with Clarkson in some way to get rid of Deng. FO seems hell bent on having enough cap space for two max FA's and Randle's going to want to get paid.

Edit: Unless you meant the position he plays? He's playing small ball C off the bench, I'm not sure if you meant position with the team or if he's a 4 or 5.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:55 am

both i suppose. you think his best position is as a center/ bum slayer off the bench? there's no shame being a bench players, especially if that player is playing big minutes/in the closing minutes of games
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:01 am

He's good at C when the other team plays small but struggles against bigger dudes that he can't bully. Embiid and Capela had their way and the Lakers get outrebounded by these big guys

Best case scenario is that Nance continues to get showcased and gets packaged to move Deng
That would allow us to hopefully keep randle and Clarkson who both have been excellent over guys with more "potential" in Ingram and Ball. At this point, I'd rather see Ingram moved over Randle

What will probably happen is no takers for Deng, they renounce randle for the space, and get burned by free agents and wind up overpaying decent players
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:47 pm

Randle might just play himself into a big deal whether it's with the Lakers or not. His defense at the end won them the game yet again.

Nice play by lonzo. He could've selfishly took that corner three but dribbled in to draw defenders to set up Ingram.

Nance admittedly has been playing a little better. He's very active to say the least
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball