Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:13 am

What's funny is that they were hyping how balanced the scoring was and usually what most announcers talk about is bullshit filler, but when I think about it, it indeed a solid, balanced game where everyone on the team contributed. If they're able to have a balanced attack like that, they'll be winning more games this year for sure.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:56 am

lopez is almost like KAT on the twovles as they are both the best 3pt shooter on the starting 5. even robin lopez is scoring more in the paint than his brother. i agree he should be in the paint more. Is this Walton's gameplan and/or due to lack of spacing?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:49 am

air gordon wrote:lopez is almost like KAT on the twovles as they are both the best 3pt shooter on the starting 5. even robin lopez is scoring more in the paint than his brother. i agree he should be in the paint more. Is this Walton's gameplan and/or due to lack of spacing?

It's a combination of both. They need the lanes for Ball/Ingram and getting Lopez to camp out sort of draws the opposing big out. But in transition it also happens that he stops at the three since he's usually last guy down the court.

It's a weird time in the NBA, bigs becoming the best shooter on a team and all.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:44 am

i think nance's lack of outside shot is a bigger hindrance to the driving lanes than lopez being in the lane

haven't looked at 5 man lineups stats sorry... does lopez-kuzma combo get any run?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:40 am

Yes I agree a lot of times Nance gets the ball at the top of the key or elbow and can't do anything because he can't hit that shot and can't dribble well enough to drive in there.

Lopez doesn't get much run after starting the 1st and 3rd so he doesn't play with kuz much
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:10 am

air gordon wrote:i think nance's lack of outside shot is a bigger hindrance to the driving lanes than lopez being in the lane

haven't looked at 5 man lineups stats sorry... does lopez-kuzma combo get any run?

Agreed, he hesitates a lot on the 17-18 footer, hopefully he either gets more comfortable with that and even extends his range. That'll probably have to wait till he's back from his injury though.

What a heartbreak loss to the Blazers. Was a great game though, the young Lakers are amazingly fun to watch. What an amazing effort on their part on defense. They came back from like 18 points down, as a fan that's all you can ask for; effort.

Real dagger there by Dame to win it. Big shot. Really good game. Get well soon Nance!
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:47 am

Lopez and walton must read this forum hahaha. vintage scoring game for big brook

so randle or kuzma to start? or maybe even dust off deng to see if he's got anything in the tank.

id sacrifice the D and start kuzma
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:30 am

Lopez really got going once Nurkic started going at him. There was a good stretch where they were just trading baskets.

Knowing Luke it really wouldn't surprise me if he started Deng or something like that just to keep the bench mob intact.

Quite the conundrum, you've got Randle who is really playing his ass off and pretty much deserves it, but you want his motor in shorter spurts so it would seem most logical to start Kuz, but then you're missing an integral part of the bench again which would lead to Tyler Ennis probably playing and that's never a good thing.

I'm glad you mentioned the defense, Nance, while not having much of an offensive arsenal, really does a good job defensively. Once he figured out the guard to Nurkic pick and roll, his slide overs and defensive switching became much better.

I'm really digging this team. They try at least.

In Randle's absence, I really wouldn't mind seeing some spot minutes for Thomas Bryant either.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:41 am

Haha we had just got done talking about what Lopez doesn't do and then he goes out and proves us wrong.

Yeah Luke will probably do something dumb like start Deng but Randle is a better fit for the starters so he doesn't have to guard opposing centers
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:09 pm

ball is a bust you should trade him to brooklyn for that russell guy. might have to to throw in a future first
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:29 pm

You shut your whore mouth.

But seriously though, kid is going to be fine. All this talk about his terrible shooting, inability to score blah blah...he'll be fine. He's hardly got any strength to him which affects his finishing ability. His shot is a bit slow, but I think it'll be fine. People are calling him a bust and all for real.

The folks that were gunning for Ingram just moved on to Ball now.
Jackal

Postby Jackal on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:27 pm

Tough loss to Boston, they dug their way out of that 21-point hole but just couldn't regain the lead. Helps having a closer like Irving on the team.

First the rant:
Wtf is up with Walton's rotation? Where did Bogut pop up from suddenly? Randle has been beasting off the bench, he has every right to be first big off the bench. Especially when they just run p&r to abuse Lopez. Randle can switch a lot easier and I found it odd Bogut got spot minutes before him.

Now the compliment:
For all the shit I give Walton for his rotations, I've got to commend him & the coaching staff for instilling the proper way to play basketball over these last few years. They play hard on defense, they try to share the basketball and make the right plays and it's a welcome change as a watcher after Brown, Byron & old Mamba.

I feel Ingram should be a much better defender given his length and I'm still hoping that comes as he progresses. Ball has been pretty damn good on the defensive end as well, I thought he'd be more of a sieve, much like Russell. I'm very excited about these two guys and really hope the Lakers keep them long term.

I know this is way down the line, but I would much prefer Boogie & George is they can manage to sign 2 big time FA's. A line up of Cousins - Kuzma - Ingram - George - Ball seems better to me on paper than ? - Lebron - Ingram - George - Ball. Although, that ball movement with Lebron/Ball though...ugh. Okay sorry, getting way too ahead of myself. Lakers luck with FA's and all those guys might just resign with their respective teams. Oh well, at least we have Ball/Ingram/Kuz to look forward to for the time being, trust the process.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:27 am

Didn't watch the game but looks like they got killed on the defensive boards. I'm sure bogut was put in to help with that and the interior defense. I like Randle but he does have trouble with the taller guys.

Randles okay this year has been awesome and I loved how he managed to get it together after pouting for the first few games. Unfortunately I think all this is doing is building his value to be tossed into a trade to unload Deng. Either that or if by some miracle if someone takes Deng for nothing, randle could be lost if we chase two max FAs and don't get two.

Also, fuck Boston.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby dare on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:26 am

The whole front office is fixated on signing 2 max fa in the offseason when they should be focus on having a great core. I'm hoping to at least sign Paul George, imagine him in the role of KCP with a lot better offense.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby hova- on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:08 am

What I dont understand: how the heck was Lonzo Ball so hyped ?! I did not pay attention as I dont follow NCAA a lot but how the hell can a player with a broken jump shot like his be that hyped?

I mean it is obvious that he has to change his mechanics or he will never be an outside threat. He brings the ball to his left, up to his mouth and then lets it go. Easy to block, tough to get off quickly. FUCKING BROKEN.

It annoys me to see guys in the best league of the world whos jumpshot looks uglier than my own jumper. I dont care how good he is in whatever he is good at, he does not look like a basketball player out there.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby [Q] on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:55 am

I don't know why everyone's so fixated on form. Kevin Martin was a fantastic scorer in the league and Shawn Marion was one of the best all around players for quite a few years. The media would joke about their shots once in a while but not to this level

I didn't watch college last year except the one UCLA tournament win and Ball was like pulling up from 25-30 ft and swishing so I mean he can hit shots
But I mean this IS another level and his shot is probably more likely to get blocked but I think the criticism is mostly because he is a high pick and all the publicity his family gets.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:14 am

What was more bewildering was Mark Jackson praising Lonzo Ball's defense during the Celtics game (though Jackson does have a tendency to say stupid things). He looked absolutely putrid at that end of the floor against Boston. Sure, Kyrie's a difficult player to guard, but he wasn't even getting out of first gear to blow by Ball. On a couple of plays, he practically just casually jogged by him. I guess it's no surprise; as previously noted, Ball couldn't even blow by Kendall Marshall in the Summer League, so his athleticism is a long way from being above average by NBA standards. He did get quite a few blocks, but he was getting beaten a lot, too.

They eventually switched Clarkson onto Irving, but the fact they have to hide Ball defensively doesn't bode well for his acumen at that end of the floor. With his lack of speed and lateral quickness compared to other players at his position, I doubt he's ever going to have the tools to match up with the elite point guards in the league. His instincts can probably get better and he might not get lost as much as he did against the Celtics, but right now, it seems like defense is a huge weakness for him.

Going back to his shooting, it's puzzling how analysts are dismissing his poor field goal percentage as irrelevant. Referring back to Mark Jackson again, he called it "the least of (Luke Walton's) worries". How is shooting 29.5% from the field, 23.1% from three-point range, and 53.8% from the free throw line, not a concern? We're eleven games into the season; that's not just a couple of bad outings at the beginning of the year skewering the numbers. He's absolutely stunk shooting the ball in nine of his games so far. His best efforts have been a game in which he shot 46% (6/13), and 44% (12/27). Apart from that, he's only cracked 30% in a game once. A point guard who shoots like Shaq from the foul line is also a liability. Rajon Rondo's been called out for his poor shooting for years, and rightfully so. I really don't see how Ball's shooting isn't at least of some concern.

He's also still up there in terms of the players who are getting blocked the most, and most of the players on that list who bigs who spend more time in the paint (matched up against other bigs, obviously), and players who take a lot more shots than he does. If nothing else, there's still a lot of room for improvement.

Sure, you could say that of most any rookie, and to that end you might say that people are being too hard on Lonzo Ball, but consider the hype. Consider the trash his father has talked. Consider the dismissal of any and all criticism of him as "hating". When you do that and come into the league with that much hype, you've set the bar very high with some lofty expectations. This is the NBA; you're earning the big bucks and you're positioned as the future star of the franchise to boot, so you're going to be under the microscope. If you don't live up the hype or simply have a horrible game, you're going to be criticised. You don't get to enjoy all the hype, and deflect any criticism when you fall short of it. It's early days, sure, but there are parts of Lonzo's game that look rather suspect.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:31 am

nice hard stance there, Andrew. i had caught the 2nd half on mute so i missed out on the expert analysis haha

early on the ricky rubio like shooting comparisons seem accurate. as you say, room for improvement

sorry Q- the guy's playing in the bright lights of LA. nevermind his family. the criticism should be expected.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:48 am

air gordon wrote:i had caught the 2nd half on mute so i missed out on the expert analysis haha

A wise policy, or perhaps a happy accident? Either way, you wouldn't have been left saying "Wait, what?" nearly as much as I was.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:48 am

Despite Rubio's shitty shooting he was decent on D, Lonzo not so much.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby [Q] on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:49 pm

That's not to say he can't turn it around. Rondo's actually become a decent 3 point shooter after some work and Rubio's improved like you mentioned.

If you compare to rondo's first 12 games, Rondo shot 20/56 (35.7%) on with virtually no 3 pointers attempted. so he shot percentage that on over 50 "higher percentage" 2 pointers and layups etc. Imagine if he had attempted nearly 60 3 pointers as Lonzo... he'd be in the same territory if not worse.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:51 pm

Of course he can turn around. But in the meantime, it has to be a concern, and a fair point of criticism, just as it was with Rondo and Rubio.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:12 pm

What's ball's fg % around the rim?
Jump.
air gordon

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:51 am

0.386, surpsingly better than Rubio's then and now.

EDIT: no, it's not, I was looking at % FGA and not FG%. Ball is worse than any of Rubio's seasons except for one with the same %
Last edited by shadowgrin on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Sauru on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:51 am

hova- wrote:What I dont understand: how the heck was Lonzo Ball so hyped ?! I did not pay attention as I dont follow NCAA a lot but how the hell can a player with a broken jump shot like his be that hyped?

because lavar ball is a motherfucking genius.
Sauru

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball