Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby air gordon on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:06 am

If dumping moz cost you Russell, imagine what teams will be asking for dengs contract

I think we call can agree the contracts deng and moz are terrible now. Throw out the veteran presence argument
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:23 am

No doubt. A big fuck you from Jimmy Buss. One of Kupchaks biggest mistakes.
Jackal

Postby NovU on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:41 am

Wasn't it the Bulls fans that raged when Ben Gordon and Deng were let go and argued they should have been paid? :lol:
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby air gordon on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:47 am

Wouldnt know about Deng. He was a salary dump to avoid the luxury tax

Hell yeah I wanted Gordon resigned
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:57 am

Congrats fellow Laker fans, our number 2 pick this year is the expected Ball boy.

Hopefully he has tons of success and the Lakers get back to their winning ways sooner rather than later.
Jackal

Postby Sauru on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:11 am

Jackal wrote:Congrats fellow Laker fans, our number 2 pick this year is the expected Ball boy.

Hopefully he has tons of success and the Lakers get back to their winning ways sooner rather than later.

i cant wait til this time next year when all the laker fans are saying "damn i wish we kept russell instead"
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:12 am

You shut your whore mouth.

Hope Ainge trades a bunch of shit for George and he joins the Lakers around this time next year!
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:55 am

NovU wrote:Wasn't it the Bulls fans that raged when Ben Gordon and Deng were let go and argued they should have been paid? :lol:

At the time I wanted them to re-sign Gordon, but I also thought that if the plan was to let him go for nothing, it would've been better to pull the trigger on a trade beforehand. As for Deng, it was time to part ways, but they didn't get much in return. Par for the course with GarPax, sadly.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Who would have thought a few weeks ago that the Lakers would be selecting replacements for Russell, Clarkson, and randle in the draft?? Crazy.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:50 pm

I was never too high on Russell. He was drafted to be next Harden. My ass. Gilbert Arenas fluked big time into a superstar for short period of time, I think he'll fall into similar category at his best.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Lakeshow7 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:36 am

Weak move by Magic and Rob. There wasn't any urgency at all, especially if u can't assure to land in town PG rather than two big fishes in 2018 (I can't believe guys like Lebron will be so excited by a 2017-18-Ball-Brandon-Lopez-30-wins-in-an-optimistic-scenario-team). D'Angelo will be a special player, no doubt about it. His God-gift vision to smash bullet passes reading the game before it happened, his shooting touch and potentially devastating mid range and low post game, using his oversized frame comparing to other point guards, speak for himself. He just needs minutes, possessions and a more chemistry team rather than the no-logic Lakers versions of last years. He played off the ball watching 40 years old Kobe going 4 for 22 in his rookie year and then rounded by ballhogs such as Lou Williams, Nick Young, Jordan Clarkson or NBA 2K9 players like Loul Deng and Timo Mozgov in his sophomore. How many Lakers rookies ever scored 39? How many in their second year were able to go one-on-one against a superstar like Kyrie and drop 40? Who is the best 3 point shooter in franchise history in his rookie year? I Know some people underline his lack of athleticism, his not exceptional defense (euphemism), I feel you guys, but he is just 21, that's pretty normal he has some flaws in his game. He just needs time. He hasn't yet played a real NBA season in a no-joke team, not giving up on tanking after two months of regular season, and surrounded by functional teammates. Deal was made to dump Mozzie insane contract and take another in its last year to free some cap room, but com'on, just wait the next February deadline, try to see if Lonzo and him are pretty compatible (tbh, I had some doubts, but trying in our rebuilding situation wouldn't cost too much) and then pull the trigger in case. But now? No sense move for me guys. Lakers needed patience, work on their young core and develop talents at roster. Not this kind of urgency if u haven't a plan or worse can't make it happen in reality.
"Well, you know what...what we human beings want to do always on this planet is to climb mountains and sometimes I think we forget that we have to come down from the mountain too before we are climbing the next higher one" Falco classy swag answering to Dirl Clark.
Lakeshow7

Postby NovU on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:13 am

Despite existing hype on Russell, there're still too many questions on what type of player he will become. Not much different from Lonzo I might add despite couple years of experience in the league already. Magic's giving up a big thing to allow a bigger thing to flourish. It's not like Russell's presence was entirely interference-free to Lonzo's game that's expected to fit in right away.

I think the move is to accelerate rebuilding process to build a contender rather sooner than later. Healthy Lopez is a nice big. If the Laker somehow ends the season on high note next season, chance of landing marquee free agent will be very high. Keeping Russell wasn't gonna achieve that goal.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:45 am

In hindsight, I think Russell was getting traded whether they had to dump bad contracts or not. That's why they seemingly took less than they should have for a former #2 pick and this was the best offer they got. I think they felt there would've been conflict considering both play the same position and, well, Russell's character issues.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:20 am

So what kind of talent would Russell have netted if it wasn't a salary dump?!

Were his issues that bad that magic/pelinka were eager to do a sell low deal?!
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:12 pm

That's what I can't seem to figure out. His value seemed to be pretty low around the league. I don't get whether teams just don't think he's got it in him or the players pretty much don't want to play with him. I'm not sure what I expected in return for him...I didn't expect him to be traded for sure. I'm not saying it's a bad trade, Lopez is a good stretch C, but damn...dude didn't really get a chance.

I still wish we could've seen how they both played together through the first few months up until the trade deadline. But management must have their own ideas/plans. It's a wait & see situation. I really wish the kid best of luck though, I was pretty high on him.

All aboard the Ball/Ingram train now though.

Edit to avoid double post:

What do you guys think about the "other" Laker picks? Reading Josh Hart is quite capable of scoring and is a good defender as well. Kuzma also reads similar to what Randle/Nance bring in the sense that he can handle the ball in transition and is capable passer.

Potential lineups? Ball-Hart-Ingram-Randle-Lopez to start off so JC can keep coming off the bench? Or do you bench the new kid and slide JC into the starting 5? Can Ball guard PG's in the NBA? Does Nwaba start so he can check the opposing teams PG's? How is Ball's defense?

Also this is purely hypothetical and more because I'm curious: A) Is it possible for the Lakers to try and sign both Cousins & George in 2018 and B) would you want that as a Laker fan? Boogie has had his issues but seems quite close with Randle being from Kentucky and all. Also I read he hired Randle's personal trainer after seeing Randle's progress over the last few weeks. So...possible & would you want it?
Jackal

Postby NovU on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:22 am

Don't the Lakers have to get rid of Deng now in order to have a shot at 2 max players in 2018?

No, Cousins is a shit player. I thank him for stat padding which helped my fantasy league teams, but watching him in actual games was painful. He's a true ball stopper, team spirit killer, a bully that's not interested in playing hard but complaining, and a vastly overrated player (now that we've seen him with AD, I think my verdict is more concrete and sound than before with the Kings).
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby air gordon on Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:30 am

Yeah I think a Deng dump is needed first

Small sample size for the AD cousins combo, don't you think novu?

Im curious to see how AD reacts to playing with cousins but I digress in a lakers thread
Jump.
air gordon

Postby NovU on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:06 am

Gonna admit my opinion on Cousins is mostly from 1 season when I watched a lot of Kings game. Back then Cousins intrigued me, touted as the best skillful big man on a bad team, what better things to watch than a skilled big man getting all the possession to showcase his skillset? Soon I realized he was part of the Kings' problem not solution, not nearly as good as people think he is, and that Isaiah was underrated and Kings were benching him to tank the season. I don't think he's come around much since then.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Bruce on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:26 pm

been watching videos of the Lakers draft crop this off-season.

Kyle Kuzma reminds me of a young Rick Fox. Not elite in terms of athleticism, but is made up for in terms of excellent mechanics.
Josh Hart reminds me of a younger Anthony Morrow. Does not look like he has great lateral quickness, but looks strong and has a jumpshot.
Thomas Bryant reminds me of Terry Mills. Outside shooting big, not a lot of lift, but has enormous length to make up for it.

Seems to me Lakers are doing exactly what Pelinka said. They are building around getting shooters. Most likely they are getting great roll players to make a splash in free agency.

NovU wrote:Don't the Lakers have to get rid of Deng now in order to have a shot at 2 max players in 2018?

Lakers potentially have $60M in cap space in 2018 by renouncing rights for Lopez, Brewer, Black, Randle & Nwaba.

source: http://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/cap/2018/
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Jackal on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:18 am

Source: Jamal Crawford preference is to play for Lakers

Source.

Hmm, not really a fan. He's a chucker in my opinion and getting up there in age. Guess we need someone to fill Nick Young's shoes now that he's gone. Let's see what happens.
Jackal

Postby Sauru on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:42 am

honestly the lakers should only be looking for finishers who do not need the ball in his hands to score. the development of ball should be their primary goal this season and anything that could have an impact on that should be considered a mistake
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:55 am

From what I've read the Lakers are only giving out one year deals which is limiting them a bit, but it's not like they were really banking on anyone to sign long term anyways.

I'm glad they are approaching it like that. 1-year and then GTFO.
Jackal

Postby Sauru on Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:37 pm

best way to do it. magic is banking on his ability and the lure of LA to draw the big free agents in next season. good chance it will work too. this season should be fully about showing off the young players. as much as people want to play in LA the young players need to be good or none of the stars will go there
Sauru

Postby air gordon on Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:18 am

Looking at the roster, they could use some perimeter shooting from the bench

A good sign a veteran wants to get bought out and come to the lakers for a cheap contract
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:15 am

"Come to the Lakers" seems a bit of a stretch. I think he just doesn't want to leave Los Angeles. Read he's close to Ball too so I guess that plays a bit of a role too.

This is more a case of not wanting to move his family at this stage, I think. Absolutely right about the need for perimeter shooting though. Hopefully the rookies coming in have some range as well.
Jackal

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball