Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby NovU on Tue May 30, 2017 8:59 am

How about the worst case? Austin Daye and Adam Morrison on steroid off the top of my head imo
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Jackal on Wed May 31, 2017 3:52 am

He's already way better than those guys, how can they be the worst case scenario? Worst case he becomes a Jeff Green type player. Flashes of excellence, potential to be a franchise player but ultimately decent at a few things but doesn't really excel at anything in particular. Forgettable is the word I suppose. Statistically they aren't too far off from each others' first season.

Those two guys are fuckin scrubs. :?
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Wed May 31, 2017 7:25 am

Highlight vids are great. The key is to stay strong in your convictions, mislead or not

Jeff green has some remarkable highlight reel dunks. In transition he is a force. I bet he would be great on Gsw

I have no clue about daye Whats his story?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Wed May 31, 2017 7:37 am

That's why I like to think he's the worst case scenario comparison. Green was awesome as a third/fourth best player on the Thunder team. Ingram could become that if it's the worst case.

What I recall about Austin Daye is Ben had a hardon for him and was praising him to the moon and back. Got traded without making much noise on the Pistons (with old Prince ahead of him) and didn't do much on the Spurs either. The Spurs quit on you and it's almost certain to me you won't be much in the league.

Sure enough he fizzled out of the league without anything noteworthy. I just don't see that happening to Ingram.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Wed May 31, 2017 8:41 am

Daye is another example of someone dominating in high school against inferior competition but is only so so against other talented players
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Wed May 31, 2017 12:14 pm

Jackal, that's why I added Daye and Adam "on steroid".

Daye was long and had soft touch. But no good consistency in his shot at all. Also couldn't absorb contact. Sounds familiar...
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Jackal on Wed May 31, 2017 9:21 pm

Still an odd comparison. Daye and Morisson had questionable athletic abilities, seemed to shy away from contact and lacked explosiveness. Also I'm fairly certain you don't watch Laker games. Ingram does pretty well with contact despite being lanky as fuck.

Brandon Ingram - AK47 off of steroids.

Anyways, we'll have to see what kind of player he turns out to be. Hopefully at least serviceable and at the most a franchise player.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:24 am

If you had the choice between Simmons or Ingram, who would you rather have??!
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:01 am

Probably Simmons, he's been described as a generational talent. I'm really intrigued to see him on the court; from the articles he's being made out to be a Lebron-esque player with a worse jump shot.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:40 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUuz1E9AEI-/ :shock:

He's in the final year of his deal since he missed his rookie year with the broken leg. I'm hoping for big things from him this year. Hopefully with the weight loss, he plays less out-of-control "bully ball" and with more technique this year
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:43 pm

Impressive dedication to fitness there. Hopefully for the Lakers, he puts the same amount of work into his game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:18 pm

Reminds me of Bosh who showed up bulked up for the season start. But unfortunately he couldn't keep up and by mid season he was back to his old skinny self.

Excited to see new Randle in shape nonetheless. (Y)
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Bruce on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:04 pm

the reason I dislike Randle is that when he pushed the ball or get touches around the rim, it feels as though he has mitts on his hands.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Jackal on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:40 am

NovU wrote:Reminds me of Bosh who showed up bulked up for the season start. But unfortunately he couldn't keep up and by mid season he was back to his old skinny self.

Excited to see new Randle in shape nonetheless. (Y)

Interesting to note that the previous seasons' trainer was let go by the Lakers and a new guy (Gunner something) has been hired to train the guys now.

This isn't Gunner's work, it's Randle's own guy but the previous trainer is partially to blame if Randle was in that shape in the first place. But I had mentioned him being lethargic and taking plays off on the defensive end so I'm looking forward to how the new trainer implements and upholds his new regiment and how the players respond to it.

In other news: Clarkson deals are being actively pursued. I'm all right with it as long as Deng or Mozzie are included in whatever trade is accepted. Otherwise I think he's a solid 6th man on a very friendly contract. If the team takes one of Deng or Moz though...
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:54 am

Are you talking about Gary vitti?

Clarkson is a great 6th man for a tanking team but I think he's a starting 2 guard on a lot of teams, or at least the bad teams
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:54 am

That would've been Gary Vitti, yeah. He had a long tenure with the Lakers.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:38 am

Shame on you guys for not knowing Gary retired the same year as Kobe. That was his last game as a Laker too.

Nah, they replaced Tim DeFranseco with Gunnar Peterson.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news ... 017/05/24/

Vitti was the head trainer, this is one of the guys that worked under him. Basically the head guy for strength and conditioning. (And now that's Peterson's task.)

Marco Nuñez has taken over Vitti's position, he worked under Vitti for the longest while and could be seen tending to a lot of Kobe injuries with Vitti. So he's the head trainer now.
Jackal

Postby NovU on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:17 am

I hear Lonzo Ball is a surefire first pick as he has been clearly head and shoulder above his competition. Despite the weakness and let downs in college, his numbers were way too good to ignore. Sure, he comes with baggage, his dad, but is that really too big of a worry, some other dads have been idiots in the past, just never happened to make it Lavar big on media.

Kinda excited for the Lakers. If Lonzo is the real deal... think about the future of this team.
1) Ball
2) Russell
3) Ingram
4) Randle
5) who cares

So many high picks
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby air gordon on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:55 am

I heard a rather interesting Ball comparison on dunked on podcast. On the cast they were discussing not many players of ball's usg translated into Star player type. Ricky Rubio's name came up

Thoughts?

Prolly the UCLA team afforded Ball more spacing than the current Lakers squad does. Maybe this allowed him to play more the oriented vs looking more for his own shot?
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Sauru on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:56 am

all i know is if ball wants to have a all star level career he is going to need to fix that shot or he is going to be getting blocked a lot.
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:18 pm

It'll be interesting to see how he does in the NBA. His shot looks weird as fuck and I'm not sure if he's a PG or a SG. A Lonzo DLo backcourt is going to be pretty atrocious on the defensive end if Ball is anything like Russel in the trend of tweener guard.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:23 pm

Ball is more of a willing passer/distributor so I tihnk it could still work with them two but I'd prefer Clarkson than Russell at the 2
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:29 pm

air gordon wrote:On the cast they were discussing not many players of ball's usg translated into Star player type.

Interesting point. But I have to think comparison wasn't entirely fair. Did they take account of his unseen level of stats? College numbers are often deceiving but most players come from the same playground of college so stats still mean a little.

How Lonzo Ball stacks up against past top passing NBA prospects

ORtg of 131.3
TS% .673
PER 24.7 at 18.1 usg%.

Unreal though it's only college numbers and how his game translates into NBA ball remains to be seen. But we know this kid played smart and was very selective in shot attempts.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby air gordon on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:28 am

Yeah it wasn't a box him in type comparison. Merely complimentary of his bball IQ and low usg

Obviously it's not an accurate comparison with his alley oops

Good discussion on whether or not he is just limited to going to his left for a dribble jumper
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Still seeing some reports here and there that the Lakers aren't taking Lonzo. Still misdirection, or is it possible they've had misgivings about drafting him?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball