Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Jackal on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:51 pm

air gordon wrote:whoa a Pop coached team scored and gave up that much

Aldridge had a field day. He ate up the Laker bigs. Zubac looked like a child against him.

The Lakers need to address their back up 5 and defense. That will enable them to run again. They were good at defense last year but have been terrible so far. Seems Randle was the tone-setter in that regard from this small sample size.

Doesn't help the team added Rondo/Stevenson/Lebron who aren't really known as defenders at this point in their careers. :|

Good on Luke for calling out the bullshit against Josh Hart. Dude just drives, drives, drives and 0 free throws.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:27 am

They still have the same problem as last year at the end of close games: no good free throw shooters. I always cringed when they out Ingram on the line in the 4th last year. At this point KCP is the best shooter at around 79 percent. As much shit as I talk about him, I want him shooting free throws. Remember those Phoenix teams? They were so hard to beat because at the end of the game, Nash was an automatic two points so you could never make up ground against them

Yeah it was kind of disturbing to see zubac in the game with no injuries to big men, but that could be just a depth issue with Kuz getting pulled over to the 3 with Ingram out. Either way, I like Lonzo to start over that prick rondo

I really hope that at the end of the day they realize what they had with Randle and bring that dude back. He's wasting away playing 23 minutes a game in new Orleans. He would work well in this small ball "position-less" system.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:12 am

You gotta stop making it sound like Randle walking was all on the Lakers.

“Julius Randle has made it clear that I don’t think he really wants to be back there, so are you putting money into a guy that doesn’t really want to be back there.”

It sucks he’s not part of the team anymore, but that’s because that’s how he wanted it. Let’s not change the narrative.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:53 am

Q- Lmao don't be that bitter ex gf

Randle has been great on the undefeated Pels
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:01 am

Yes I am sad and bitter lol

Cue the Wolverine looking at the picture meme
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:29 am

haha

nice to get the PHX suns aka the slump buster girl on the sched
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Sir Lancelot almost netting a trip dub. :shock:

phpBB [video]

He's kind of like Artest Jr. in his unconventionality and as an irritant/head case.
[Hyperize]

Postby Jackal on Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:51 am

Lonzo's defense is some other level shit. So glad he's doing better shooting the ball. People shitting on him and Fultz got old quick. Give them a chance, sheesh.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:34 am

He doesn't play much, but Javale is a huge part of the success right now. He's always diving to the rim, looking to get easy dunks unlike other centers that camp outside for 3. He's active on defense, blocking shots and you really can't ask for more from him.

LANCE MAKE EM DANCE! He's playing like his all-star form from Indiana, and seems to be working well as backup PG to Lonzo. Do we even need Rondo at this point? lol

Also, another thing to consider: Ingram as 6th man when he comes back instead of Kuz. Kuz excels when Lebron & Lonzo are setting him up so he doesn't have to create his own shot. Ingram needs the ball in his hands and that's tough with Lebron and a PG in the starting lineup so he winds up standing around waiting a lot. He can be the man off the bench and beat up on the other teams' reserves.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:21 pm

What an embarrassing showing against the Mavs. Once they get a healthy lead, they'd let up and let them back into it. I saw them blowing the lead coming from a mile away, especially with missed free throws when it came down to a free throw shooting contest, only to be saved by Matthews's JR Smith moment not knowing time and score. Hell, he fouled intentionally because he didn't think there was any way Lakers could blow that lead
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:14 pm

Luke needs to play Ball more and Rondo less. The fourth quarter 9 minute mark or so line up was really bad with Lebron Rondo Lance I think, they just passed it on the perimeter and no one was cutting to the basket.

It's still early so I'll write it off as learning moments. Certainly dodged a bullet. Should have also left Brandon on Luka, let him learn to play with the fouls so he can stop committing them later on in the season. His length basically kept him scoreless the first half.

The Mavs always seem to have one guy who balls out against the Lakers; usually Barea but god damn Maxi Kleber was something else this game. Really nice effort by that dude.
Jackal

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:07 am

Apparently Tyson Chandler is on his way; exactly what they need, though by the time they assemble the God-squad he might not be very effective (if he even comes back).
[Hyperize]

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:11 am

So when will Lakers fans finally realize and accept that Luke Walton is not that good of a coach? Or should they keep ignoring it?
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby [Q] on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:34 am

I think it'll take time to figure things out. Players are still learning how to play with LeBron and are still fighting each other for minutes. Luke still trying to figure out rotations. Wonder how long it'll take him to realize he needs to start Hart and bring Ingram off the bench.

Don't forget it took that Miami team like half a season before they started clicking
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:15 am

That Heat team had 3 superstars at their peak.

This Lakers team has a LeBron still in his prime but likely on the decline, young players that have no option but to adjust their game for their future HoF teammate and possibly alter their development, and some old players that look statistically good at the moment because the team is either playing trash or is trash for them to pad stats.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:30 am

These are not because of coaching, this is an effort issue.

Look at his body language, look at how he is just standing straight up on so many possessions.

phpBB [video]

Same effort in Portland.

phpBB [video]

All the stats in the world don't hide glaring no effort plays, and they have been happening all season. This isn't a fatigue issue, it's happening at the beginning of games (Him getting burned in the first quarters), in the middle, and in the end. This was also an issue last year, but seems to be even worse this year.

When your leader is giving this type of effort, and displaying these mannerisms, it trickles down to the other players. Do you think the other players find LeBron motivating/inspiring when he's giving that type of effort? The reason the Raptors play hard defense, is because the best player on the team (Kawhi) gives all his effort on both ends, and is a great defender/high effort defender. And when he is out, they have Ibaka, Siakam and Lowry who are leading by example on that end.

The Lakers problems don't just stem from LeBron, but he certainly doesn't help with those no-effort plays. Dribbling down to the end of the shot clock so often doesn't do anything to help players get into a rhythm, either. Other issues I see with the Lakers is Hart deserves more time, Ingram needs the ball earlier in the shot clock to create more, and depth wise they need a backup center who can be a defensive paint presence. Tyson Chandler can still play, but he just doesn't get the reps with the Suns because of the youth movement. Him coming in off the bench to provide them with defense/rebounding and leadership could certainly help that second unit flourish more (And really the whole team all around).

The low effort defensively on close-outs and drives to the hoop is a killer. They need to play with effort, a lot of times it seems like they don't even want to be there (Including LeBron). The first thing talked about in this thread probably should have been the terrible defensive effort, not whether Walton should be fired or not. The players need to be held accountable at times, and yes LeBron as well.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:39 am

Bench Ingram for Hart? What are you on? If anyone needs to be benched it should be your boy Kuzma. Kid is basically a taller version of Jordan Clarkson. A defensive sieve.

Lebron looks old. He plays with no passion. Is this LeCoast? I didn't watch him regularly enough to know the difference but that turnaround hitting murderous Lebron vs Toronto seems like a thing of the past. Doesn't play defense, looks like he's just going through the motions on O and seems human. That's saying something. He seems...beatable? It's weird.

Firing Luke won't solve anything. Who would they hire? Lue? Please. The team just needs to do the simple shit before letting go of their head coach. This same team with Brook Lopez and Julius Randle played some amazing defense last year. Now they can't seem to guard all of a sudden. Missed rotations, matador defense is a trend of all the games, even the ones they've won.

Ball needs to play more than Rondo. Rondo is shit at defense. Lebron needs to actually defend instead of swiping at the ball. Kuzma needs to try, dude just bounces off of people.

When they're engaged, it looks good. McGee manages to cover up a lot of missed rotations/matador defense drives; that's why he's leading the league in blocks but dude can only do so much.

The Raptors murdered them, that game wasn't close. They hit shots, they waltzed to the paint and they packed the paint on the offensive side. They are long, defensive and unselfish. That team is gonna win the East with Kawhi.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:31 am

dissension amongst the laker nation...

only 10 games in and what is this? chapter 2 of the laker soap opera? the fight was popcorn worthy. this one not so much
Jump.
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:52 am

To be fair, they're asking Kuz to guard bigger guys that he might not be used to be guarding. And let's just say he's not really known for defense in the first place haha. I agree Ball needs to start, but Rondo is pushing hard right now not to lose his minutes, especially after Ball played well during the suspension.

I also agree something is off about LeBron. To be honest I didn't watch a whole lot of Cavs games in the past couple years, so I still picture a Miami LeBron and perhaps he doesn't play the same way he used to. He does complain a lot but it's like Shaq he's so strong he's getting hacked all the time.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:00 pm

It's a long season. A few wins in a row should calm people down. Irving "finally" had his blow up game against Denver. Too bad celts lost that one though
Jump.
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:12 pm

SMH the Lakers are not goig to make the playoffs. They should be tryin for Zion at this point
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:22 pm

They still have a shot at Anthony Davis. True, you may end up losing Lonzo and some other members of the young core, but you'll also be rid of LaVar and his toxicity. Also, you'd have Anthony Davis.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:30 am

LeBron James has always been one of my favourite players to watch but lately with trying to force the Lakers to trade there future for AD then coming back and sitting away from his teammates, watching last night and seeing Kuz's face when LeBron was on there case, he just smiled and walked away followed by LeBron standing in the key for 10 seconds daring Simmons to shoot the 3, why are the refs calling that? The refs are becoming just as much of a joke as LeBron calling himself the goat
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby tacitus kilgore on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:41 am

I liked Miami LeBron the most. I found him to be a better person when he accepted being the bad guy. Now he has to walk this tight rope of a hero chasing Jordan and a mercenary trading soldiers for even better soldiers.
tacitus kilgore

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:04 pm

mp3 wrote:LeBron standing in the key for 10 seconds daring Simmons to shoot the 3, why are the refs (not) calling that

It's not a violation if the defender camping in the paint is actively guarding any player within arms length. You raise your hand near a player or get close to any player near the paint, that's actively guarding.

That is also why the NBA is mostly 4-1 offense now, so defenders camping in the paint can't 'cheat' on defense like that.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball