Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:03 am

Let's see you use your hand with constant injury in your index finger in your dominant hand that's the equivalent of Brandon Roy's current non existent knees which can't be surgically repaired because it's so messed up that there's nothing to repair on.
I doubt you could even brush your teeth much less play basketball.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby stereoxide on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:56 pm

Kobe becoming a pass-jacker is worse than him being a shot jacker. 8 turnovers? Well at least they got the win. That's what matters right now right?
stereoxide

Postby NovU on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:19 pm

At least the team has seen some success when he's sharing the ball. And I think it's a positive sign that he's trying. If he learns to protect the possession better, that'll be a bonus, though I have doubts as it's never been his strength.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Jackal on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:11 am

I'm quite certain I don't like Dwight Howard. Just seeing the game between the Clips & Lakers and you see how much of a leader Chris Paul is and you see Dwight just sitting there with a distant stare on his face & smiling and giggling and as a fan I wonder does he even care? They aren't even in the playoff race and he's got no emotions about it seemingly. Shaq would be fuming at this time, his drive to be better than every big man in the league was amazing.

This guy...he was pretty athletic and a physical specimen but his drive? He's a baby. :|
Jackal

Postby NovU on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:10 am

Seems like it's not only you but nearly entire Dwight's welcome has worn out in LA. Yet I'm surprised that there aren't trade rumours on him yet. There's great chance he might just walk this offseason.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:16 am

The possibility of him being traded has been brought up a few times recently. It would seem that any discussions involving him haven't been particularly serious though, at least from the Lakers' end. Presumably they're confident that they can keep him and everything will work itself when he gets healthy and the more time the team spends playing together...possibly a little too optimistic on both counts.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Bruce on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:55 pm

If the Lakers would ever trade Howard, I hope the Lakers get quality player, high first round picks and dump salary in the process. Simply put, milk the trade for everything it's worth.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:55 pm

Easier said than done, even considering the player Howard is capable of being when he's healthy. Banged up, not having his best season and being a free agent who can walk at the end of the season, most teams aren't going to be lining up to give the Lakers everything they've got.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Bruce on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Among those rumored to have the option to sign Dwight outright, none of them can give Dwight the full max money he can command this off-season. If Dwight considers to take a paycut and walks and the Lakers get 0 return for Dwight, there is always the $19M+ expiring contract of Gasol. The current situation of the NBA as it is where many teams cut and trade all-star caliber players to save on tax means the Lakers won't be left without options. I believe more teams will find Pau's bloated contract appealing to make a big splash in the free agent market in 2014. If the 2013 off season and trade deadline are unkind to the Lakers, then with only Nash with a guaranteed contract in 2014, the Lakers can rebuild from scratch. Whether Jim Buss can follow through with this remains to be seen, we can only hope that Jim can carry on Jerry's legacy.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:40 pm

The good: The Lakers are back at .500 after defeating the Hornets, thanks to an impressive clutch performance by Kobe Bryant that saw a successful fourth quarter rally. Following losses by both teams today, the Rockets and Jazz are now only one and a half and two games ahead of the Lakers respectively. Their schedule for the rest of March has a lot of road games, but not a lot of quality opponents.

The bad: It took a huge fourth quarter performance by Kobe Bryant and a complete collapse by the Hornets for the Lakers to overcome a double digit deficit and defeat the team with the fourth worst record in the league. As Jon Barry noted on commentary during the Bulls/Spurs game, it's not a particularly encouraging sign when wins over Dallas and New Orleans are cause for celebration. While their schedule for the rest of March isn't the toughest, the amount of road games has potential for disaster as they've lost quite a few winnable games on the road and came very close in New Orleans today.

The ugly: The loss to the Thunder in Oklahoma City is a reminder that outside of a couple of good wins here and there, the Lakers have not done well against the West's top teams this year. Since those are the teams they're likely to be facing in the first round should they make the Playoffs and they won't have homecourt advantage as a low seed, they may not end up making much more than a token postseason appearance which is well below expectations and franchise standards.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Bruce on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:23 pm

a good summation of what has transpired in the last month in the Lakers trip back to relevance.

Kudos though to Kobe for using the passing of Jerry Buss as fuel to get back to old form and the bench for starting to increase their contribution.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby NovU on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:23 pm

That was the biggest collapse by any team I've seen this season LIVE. 0-20 run in the last 6:22 of the fourth quarter by the Hornets. Not to mention them being up 20+ points in 3rd or something. It was as if they wanted to lose. How many airballs were put up? Even their own fans were chanting for the Lakers. The fuck seriously.

The Lakers didn't really impress me tonight really. Nearly everything about them looked ugly tonight. It's just that the Hornets were the ugliest ever.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Another great performance by Kobe for yet another great comeback victory, but similar to the win over the Hornets, the fact they needed that kind of performance to beat the Toronto Raptors in Los Angeles is itself not so great.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:33 pm

He's been great lately. Is shooting over 50% and getting to the lane like crazy, 16, 14, 12 times in last three games. His turnovers are still problem but has nice assists as well.

Let's not forget Dwight's been huge in recent run as well. He's rebounding and blocking the shots very very well. And he's protecting the paint alone, actually only one that plays any kind of defense.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Bruce on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:44 pm

I don't know if there is any truth about Kobe telling the press that he'd have a talk with Howard prior to his first game back, but Howard's old team did help by sending him to the line 39 times en route to a 39pt 16rb performance. But if it was really true, imagine what Dwight could be if he had Kobe's mindset towards basketball. Kobe had his "amnesty that" game against Dallas and now Dwight can have his "nobody wants" game against his old team.

NovU wrote:He's been great lately. Is shooting over 50% and getting to the lane like crazy, 16, 14, 12 times in last three games. His turnovers are still problem but has nice assists as well.

Even if it was against a couple of bottom feeders, I have never seen Kobe perform this well in clutch. Even in the years where Kobe was playing with Shaq, I could not remeber a time he stringed this many clutch shots.

Besides Dwight, I think Meeks has also been great as of late. So much so that he has been played more in the 4th qtr over Clark.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby NovU on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:35 am

LoL. Nice. I always enjoy this speculative theories on how Kobe's mindset is greater than other players'. Please more.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:57 am

His competitive mindset is surely better than any of the Heat players.

You're just annoyed that no one sucks the Heat mindlessly as you do and want the passion Laker fans show to be adored on the Heat.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby NovU on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:22 am

LoLololl, maybe. You guys are right then. Kobe's talk with Howard was the reason for Dwight having a great game against his former team!
Bruce wrote:I don't know if there is any truth about Kobe telling the press that he'd have a talk with Howard prior to his first game back, but Howard's old team did help by sending him to the line 39 times en route to a 39pt 16rb performance. But if it was really true, imagine what Dwight could be if he had Kobe's mindset towards basketball.

And you and I both know I am more annoyed how everything good has to do with Kobe and never is the case with anything bad.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:15 am

HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby JBoom_LALALAND on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Damn, they lost to the Hawks. The game-tying shot was off this time.
KOBE: CHASING PERFECTION
JBoom_LALALAND
TheJBoom

Postby dare on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:51 am

dare
True kings have rings

Postby stereoxide on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:31 pm

Time for Dwight to really step up. Gasol is like weeks from returning and the their 8th seed can be lost anytime.
stereoxide

Postby NovU on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Half a game behind the Rockets for 7th seed. 2 games behind for 6th. 2-0 w/o Kobe. LoL. Why aren't the Lakers fans excited.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby stereoxide on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:52 pm

They are expected to win this one with or without Kobe. They are expected to beat sub-par teams even with this lineup. They have an all-star in Dwight, but Jamison showed brilliance in this games.
stereoxide

Postby NovU on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:18 pm

Sounds quite confident for a guy who was worried about losing 8th seed just two games ago.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball