The Knicks Thread....

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: The Knicks Thread....

Postby Jeffx on Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:52 am

Spike Lee needs to give it a rest. For 20 years, Spike didn't say s*** about Dolan while he was turning the Knicks into the laughingstock of the NBA. Now he's flapping his gums because he was inconvenienced? Weak, weak, weak. He's the fool for continuing to spent his money for a garbage product.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/288 ... msg-season
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:16 am

It seems like it was much ado about nothing, especially given the initial reports of him being banned/thrown out of the building. Sounds like Knicks staff handled the situation poorly, which is on brand, but not as malicious as it was made out to be.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:57 pm

Elton Brand???? C'mon, plus he's still under contract.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/knic ... er-report/
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:11 pm

Brand might be OK, but either way it's a moot point since as you noted, he's not available. He could be available in the not too distant future depending on how things go in Philadelphia, but as that isn't a given, it's odd that he'd be one of the top candidates on their list. Then again, this being the Knicks, maybe not.

Is there anyone you'd like to see them pursue, current contractual obligations aside?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:52 pm

Andrew wrote:Is there anyone you'd like to see them pursue, current contractual obligations aside?

This list is interesting;

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/bask ... story.html
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:05 pm

Andrae Patterson, there's a name from the past. I remember him riding the bench for the Timberwolves in NBA Live 2000/2001...and real life, for that matter. Kind of strange to see all those names of players I remember from my teenage years now in front office and coaching positions. That overwhelming thought that yes, several years have gone by!

Anyway, sounds like they've got some feasible options.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:47 am

Andrew wrote:Andrae Patterson, there's a name from the past. I remember him riding the bench for the Timberwolves in NBA Live 2000/2001...and real life, for that matter. Kind of strange to see all those names of players I remember from my teenage years now in front office and coaching positions. That overwhelming thought that yes, several years have gone by!

Anyway, sounds like they've got some feasible options.

I'll be happy if the Knicks can someone like the Bulls just did.

But as you know Andrew. the problem with the Knicks is Dolan, the toxic culture he created, and all the yes-men in his ear. They'll try to undermine whoever Rose hires as GM.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:48 am

If only he could take a step back, let good people be brought in, and allow them to do their job. In time, they could rehabilitate that culture and image, if he butted out. He'd just be the guy who signs the cheques. As you alluded to though, he doesn't seem to have the capacity to do that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:50 am

In some rare positive news when it comes to the Knicks, probably due to the popularity of the MJ doc, MSG will be airing Linsanity games this week.

It was one of the biggest highlights of the last two decades for the Knicks, but it has been largely ignored by them. Lin left as a free agent after that season and has received little acknowledgment from the team or the station since.

He went on to become the first player with at least 20 points and seven assists in each of his first five starts since the Elias Sports Bureau began charting starts in 1970.

This is really interesting because the Knicks seemed to have simply forgotten pretty much the only highlight for the team in this millennium and he legitimately saved them in the cable conflict that they were having at the time.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:08 am

Seems like it's been intentionally ignored and downplayed, given his departure shortly afterwards.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:22 am

Andrew wrote:Seems like it's been intentionally ignored and downplayed, given his departure shortly afterwards.

That's because he pissed off James Dolan...you know how that works.

From the New York Daily News:

The decision was both financial and emotional since Garden chairman James Dolan was upset over Lin restructuring his deal with Houston last week to include a third year salary of $14.9 million. Dolan, according to sources, felt he was deceived by the 23-year-old Lin.

More Knick Follies;
Charles Oakley's Criticism of Patrick Ewing Reveals Eternal Pain of 1990s Knicks

https://1053thefan.radio.com/articles/r ... ernal-pain

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/video/tik ... ick-ewing/
Jeffx

Postby [Q] on Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:13 pm

And the Knicks encouraged him to find himself a deal because they were going to match any regular contract
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:20 pm

I remember that, the whole "poison pill" clause. Clearly poisoned the relationship, but you can't blame Lin for looking out for his best interests and financial security, nor for Dolan's pettiness.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri May 01, 2020 9:35 am

Lin on wanting the Rockets to lower the offer so the Knicks would be able to match and he could go back to New York:
“I’m not sure if I’ve ever even said this publicly because, in my mind, like you said, I’m looking forward. And I think, I’m not sure if I said this publicly, but I don’t have any regrets. Because really, to me, I didn’t really have a decision like I only have one contract. I was only offered one contract. We couldn’t get anything from any other team. And so, I had to go find a contract from somebody. And I remember when Houston gave the offer, I promise you, I had just finished a workout and got into my car and got the phone call from my agent and I said to him, ‘can you tell Houston to lower the offer, this is too much. Can you tell someone to lower the offer’, because I wanted to go back to New York and I wanted New York to match. The time there, with the fans, everything. It was so special. I was like, I need to go back to New York. That’s where my heart is. So, I call my agent and said ‘hey, find a way to get out of Houston. Give me a less good of a contract so that New York will match it’ and he said, ‘we can’t, this is Houston’s final offer and we’ve been talking to them for a week, two weeks, three weeks, this is it. We’re at the end and this is the only offer that you got, you have to sign it.’ So I remember signing it, and again, this is no disrespect to Houston. At that time, I didn’t know anything about the organization or the city. I just knew New York. So, I actually was trying really hard. I was like, man, we have to find a way to make this contract, like bring down the money, bring down the years, whatever we need to do, make it easier. So that it’s not a poison pill. And that’s honestly where my heart was at the time and obviously it didn’t happen, but in my mind, I was like, ‘all right, well, I still hope that New York matches and there’s still a chance.’ But it was a long 72 hours.”

lol a rare sight to have an athlete want a lower offer

They also reunited a bunch of the players that actually liked him on the team
phpBB [video]
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri May 01, 2020 11:56 am

That really is an insane - or Linsane, if you will - situation. That he only had one offer, and that they wouldn't lower it, knowing he wanted to go back to the Knicks via them matching. A shame he hadn't been with the Knicks long enough to have Bird Rights.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sat May 02, 2020 2:26 am

Here the Knicks go again with their stupid "Savior Complex"....the definition of insanity;

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/288 ... ng-culture
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Wed May 06, 2020 8:01 pm

It's tough because I've always loved Linsanity and what it brought to the city, the game vs Kobe was one of the greatest underdog games I've ever watched live on tv and the run was amazing.

But, the team with Lin, Melo and Stat was never going to be able to exist together.

In hindsight I would of loved to of seen a team with Stat and Lin running plays like the Suns used too but I also loved what Melo brought to the city and getting us back into the playoffs, the Knicks were never going to trade Melo, as much as the city loved the Linsanity moment they were mainly team Melo he was a clear superstar.

Again in hindsight and this is something that at the time helped me get over the fact we didn't bring Lin back was that teams started scouting for Lin, they knew his strengths and weaknesses and before the injury teams had his number and like it or not teams were exposing him, that been said Lin was adapting the the defence but wasn't giving you Linsanity numbers and therefore wasn't going to live up to the huge contract (at the time) that he was going to get then you look at all the injuries that have followed him since leaving the Knicks too so iam just greatful for the memories he gave us and move on.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Leander on Thu May 07, 2020 9:12 am

Hi!

I was a huge Knicks fan in the 90s and had to rely on CNN teletext to check scores (without internet or a TV channel with live NBA games back then). I got up in the morning to check the scores and the Knicks had lost game 6 against the Rockets...then game 7.

Now I checked out some box scores and two things are bothering me. Why did Ewing perform so bad on the offensive side? Just 36% FG...because of Olajuwon's good defense? And what bothers me more: Why wasn't John Starks substituted after shooting brick after brick? He went 2 for 18 (1!), missing all 11 of his 3PT attempts. Why? Why? Why? The Knicks already had Hubert Davis, a brilliant shooter. Why didn't he get more minutes, but just 4? Even if Starks was a good defender, he should have stopped attempting so many shots. If nothing goes in, just pass the ball to players who aren't cold...or sub him out, sub Davis in.

One year later my heart was again broken by Reggie Miller's points in the last seconds.
Leander

Postby mp3 on Thu May 07, 2020 9:47 am

Ditto mate!

I had a full vhs tape of 5 mins a day highlights from CNN then later added a tape full of "This week in the nba" from the same channel presented by Alex English, then In 93 I discovered the German sports channel "DSF" which showed 2 live games per week and two 30 minute shows that featured the best of the weeks games edited into about 5 minutes per game...

It was like heaven till I found Pontel video lol

As for Rockets Vs Knicks, The Knicks worked so hard to get to the finals the were just gassed when they got there.

Dream played amazing defence throughout and my guy Starks well sadly he choked when we needed him.
mp3

Postby Leander on Fri May 08, 2020 5:41 am

mp3 wrote:then In 93 I discovered the German sports channel "DSF" which showed 2 live games per week and two 30 minute shows that featured the best of the weeks games edited into about 5 minutes per game....

DSF - Mittendrin statt nur dabei. :D

Really? I can only remember short summaries with some plays, but neither full games nor live ones.

Maybe it was 90s basketball. Today Starks would have been subbed out.
Leander

Postby Andrew on Fri May 08, 2020 11:35 am

I don't know about that. As long as he kept chucking threes, he'd probably be left in. Just look at the Rockets and Celtics in Game 7 of their respective Conference Finals in 2018.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri May 08, 2020 6:07 pm

Yeah live game on a wed and Sunday, and game highlights twice a week, I don't speak German but that was my source of NBA for many years.

I stopped using it in 98 when I moved out my dad's house but I used to go back to tape things but come to think of it there was a few times I'd record but no NBA on there so maybe they lost the rights to show or something.

The UK started showing the nba in 96 and I also discovered Pontel video so it's crazy looking back how much access I had.
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Tue May 12, 2020 9:02 am

mp3 wrote:Ditto mate!

I had a full vhs tape of 5 mins a day highlights from CNN then later added a tape full of "This week in the nba" from the same channel presented by Alex English, then In 93 I discovered the German sports channel "DSF" which showed 2 live games per week and two 30 minute shows that featured the best of the weeks games edited into about 5 minutes per game...

It was like heaven till I found Pontel video lol

As for Rockets Vs Knicks, The Knicks worked so hard to get to the finals the were just gassed when they got there.

Dream played amazing defence throughout and my guy Starks well sadly he choked when we needed him.

As I said at the time, Riley's stubbornness cost the Knicks a title. It was obvious it wasn't Starks' night - Riley should have taken him out and put Ro Blackman in.
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Wed May 20, 2020 5:26 am

Yeah he just chucked away like he was playing in today's league.

Knicks are making some smart front office moves of late, has to start at the top.

Dolan isn't going anywhere put real Knicks fans know that he doesn't interfere like he did since before Phil came and went, sure he makes the headlines but people in the know say he lets the front office do there job with a few limits unlike before
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed May 20, 2020 12:13 pm

Looking at the changes that the Bulls have made recently, it really demonstrates how a complete overhaul in staff and culture is needed before there's a chance at turning things around. As you said, it has to start at the top.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball