The Knicks Thread....

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

The Knicks Thread....

Postby Jeffx on Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:21 pm

OK, I know my Knicks are seriously flawed, but at least Isaiah got some youth on this team(I love Sweetney, Ariza & Crawford). I must admit, they're more fun to watch than previous Knick squads. But we need some defensive stoppers and a quality big man in the worst way. I just hope those Sweetney & Thomas for Eddy Curry trade rumors are dead. Isaiah BETTER NOT make that move! We already have ONE underacheiver on this team(Tim Thomas). I wouldn't mind getting rid off his sorry a$$.
Jeffx

Postby J@3 on Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:59 pm

Sweetney and Ariza are looking really good for NY. If Sweetney can get Zack Randolph syndrome (on the court, not off it) next season they'll be in fantastic shape. As far as Ariza goes, once he learns to shoot he'll be great.
J@3

Postby cklitsie on Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:43 pm

-Ariza looks solid on the defense, he just doesn't have a jump shot yet (like Jae said and everybody knows).
-Sweetney lacks mentality IMO, he doesn't seem to try hard enough.
-I kinda like Crawford, but I hate him too. He's good at driving to the hoop, but he doesn't do it at all. Now he only shoots too many threes and takes other bad shots.
-Also I think NY has too many streaky players on their roster, Mohammed, T. Thomas, Sweetney. They're all big talents but they haven't proved themselves yet. Mohammed is playing extremely well right now, but Thomas and Sweetney havent done anything yet.
cklitsie

Postby matmat8 on Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:36 pm

Isiah Thomas did bring some youth to the team but just to have Crawford he traded out all the expiring contracts...
matmat8

Postby Amphatoast on Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:12 am

so many thomas', lets call'em IT, TT, KT lol

-Allan Houston is expected to be back within 7-10days so we will see what he can do. Right now Marbury is our best 3point shooter @ 37% so Houston should be able to help from down there. Once the outside game is there, everything else will be better then I hope.
-We can replace TT with Allan Houston at times to help our offensive game if TT is sucking
-getting rid of TT seems like a ideal thing, cause for his whole career he has been considered a underachiever, even Van Horn is better than him. Not sure but maybe TT ( contract to match carter), KT, and some others for VC and some bums might work..hey raptors were thinking Jalan and VC for Shreef so anything is possible.
Amphatoast

Postby NNpF on Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:17 am

Amphatoast wrote:so many thomas', lets call'em IT, TT, KT lol

-Allan Houston is expected to be back within 7-10days so we will see what he can do. Right now Marbury is our best 3point shooter @ 37% so Houston should be able to help from down there. Once the outside game is there, everything else will be better then I hope.
-We can replace TT with Allan Houston at times to help our offensive game if TT is sucking
-getting rid of TT seems like a ideal thing, cause for his whole career he has been considered a underachiever, even Van Horn is better than him. Not sure but maybe TT ( contract to match carter), KT, and some others for VC and some bums might work..hey raptors were thinking Jalan and VC for Shreef so anything is possible.

If the Knicks land Vince that team will be an absolute mess, trust me. You will have Marbury, Crawford, Houston and Carter in a rotation and those are all guys looking to score 20+ and get their minutes, they are all shoot first players and I just can't see that working out. And Vince is struggling and he needs his fair share of shots sometimes to reach 20. I don't think the Knicks need another scoring guard, they already made a mistake by releasing Anderson, their best defensive player.

The Knicks need a true center who can rebound and score in the paint, they also need a proven defensive player and a healthy Allan Houston.
NNpF

Postby Matthew on Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:04 am

I really like the direction the Knicks are going in. Jamal Crawford was a steal in the offseason.. but there will be a logjam when houston returns. Marbury, Houston, Penny, Crawford... everyone of these guys could and should be starting but JC and Hardaway will have to be comming off the bench. If Isiah can find a way to move Tim Thomas, then Penny could start at small forward.

New York is only a half game back on philly.. The Knicks could easily make a nice run and make the playoffs.
Matthew

Postby NNpF on Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:49 am

TheCambyManVol3 wrote:I really like the direction the Knicks are going in. Jamal Crawford was a steal in the offseason.. but there will be a logjam when houston returns. Marbury, Houston, Penny, Crawford... everyone of these guys could and should be starting but JC and Hardaway will have to be comming off the bench. If Isiah can find a way to move Tim Thomas, then Penny could start at small forward.

New York is only a half game back on philly.. The Knicks could easily make a nice run and make the playoffs.

I thought they wanted Houston coming off the bench for Crawford?
NNpF

Postby Matthew on Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:03 am

I honestly can't see that happening.. Houston is a 100 million dollar man, you dont have a guy comming off the bench earning that much
Matthew

Postby Amphatoast on Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:51 pm

TheCambyManVol3 wrote:I honestly can't see that happening.. Houston is a 100 million dollar man, you dont have a guy comming off the bench earning that much

they said crawford is the starter...money isn't the deciding factor though....it comes down to who can contribute the most..right now JC is showing why he should be the starter and houston should come in when they need some J's to be knocked down.
Amphatoast

Postby Matthew on Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:07 pm

I hope they go in that direction (of starting Crawford) but I'll believe it when I see it..
Matthew

Postby Fresh8 on Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:14 pm

There quite a few guys in the League who earn alot and are benchwarmers!
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Ruff Ryder on Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:39 pm

Sit wrote:There quite a few guys in the League who earn alot and are benchwarmers!

Namely the other 10 guys on the Knicks bench. :D

I just hope those Sweetney & Thomas for Eddy Curry trade rumors are dead. Isaiah BETTER NOT make that move! We already have ONE underacheiver on this team(Tim Thomas). I wouldn't mind getting rid off his sorry a$$.

Took me awhile to get that because I wasn't sure which Thomas you were talking about.

Anyway, I think there's 2 sides to that. #1 is that I know we lose a very streaky overpaid player, and possibly a future star player, but (#2) then you get rid of some cap space, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Curry's contract ends this year. Then we get rid of (what normally would be) a lot of cap and can almost start heading in the right direction, but the only thing is that we have no solid big man anymore.

Anyway, all of the Knicks players think Ariza was a steal in the draft, and thought he could have been a top 5 player, but at least he plays D. Too many shooters come in the L without any D awareness and end up sucking. Defense wins ball games. Don't worry, Ariza's J will come, he just needs to play to his strengths now, like slashing. The Knicks look like they could be decent in the near future, after they free up some cap space.

'Retired'

"You can’t drive a knife into a man’s back nine inches, pull it out six inches, and call it progress."-Malcolm X
Ruff Ryder

Postby cklitsie on Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:41 pm

ruffryder8 wrote:Too many shooters come in the L without any D awareness and end up sucking.
In this draft there aren't much good shooters, mostly big men or athletic swingmen without defense. Ariza is an athletic swingman with defense, so he'll be alright. :wink:

Hopefully the Knicks will go over .500 now and keep going, I don't want to see them losing the the Hawks (next game) in the first place, but I also feel they should do just a little bit better with the talent they have. Let's be realistic, the aren't real title contenders at this point, but if they develop a better team chemistry and all that stuff, the could make a run in the playoffs.
cklitsie

Postby Jeffx on Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:27 pm

How do y'all feel about Vince coming to the Knicks? I say no, because it would mean losing Starbury. To me, Vince sounds like a clubhouse lawyer.

According to an article I read in today's Newsday, Vince shouted something at Isaiah during last night's game. Isaiah smiled and shook his head no - he doesn't want to lose Starbury either.
Jeffx

Postby Amphatoast on Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:11 pm

lol, shook his head saying no haha, i guess that means no vc to ny. We doing good though, currently ontop of the atlantic. We just need a healthy houston and see what he can do and work from there.
Amphatoast

Postby Matthew on Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:27 pm

I'm all for vince to NYK if Stephon isnt dealt. He's about as untradable as any player is in he nba... although the idea of rejuvinated Vince in a Knicks uniform sounds awfully good... but it depends if its the vince from 2001 or the vince who takes less shots than rafer alston..
Matthew

Postby Ataraxia on Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:35 pm

yeh...Starbury has to be kept, hes a unique symbol for New Yorkers and Knicks Fans....born and bred in NY and leading the team, I mean u dont get bigger pride than representing the team u loved since childhood.

I think if Tim Thomas wasnt playing so crap, or Houston wasnt injured n doing well maybe there would be a chance of a Timmy T/Houston + Kurt T + Future Pick for VC maybe.....but I dont think it'll happen now, but then again nobody though Starbury would be given for Mcdyess etc...

never understimate the power of Isiah Thomas. :D

Ariza has alotta potential, hes gonna be a steal pick....I think he'll become a sure shot starter at SF buy next season cause Tim Thomas will be on a diff roster by then.

I really hope the Knicks can comeback to the days of Ewing, LJ, Spree and Houston (y)

The Knicks are the team ive always watched(actually my fav team, first team ive supported since watching the NBA), but sadly they really gone down hill since the "golden era" left. But hopefully Isiah can lead the Knicks uphill again, though im not his biggest fan in terms of how he treats some players and coaches.
Ataraxia

Postby Amphatoast on Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:45 pm

those golden days...we need a big man to accomplish that, days of John Starks were nice too, sigh, the 90s..
Amphatoast

Postby Jeffx on Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:07 pm

Actually, the 'golden years' was the Willis-Clyde-Red Holtzman era. Man those were the days. The 69-70 Knicks was one of the best TEAMS in NBA history. It was a finely-tuned unit. Everybody knew their role and did it well.

Knicks slipped for several years after the 73 championship season, but came back strong from 82-84 when Bernard owned the Garden. During those years, BK was a scoring machine. He singlehandedly took Boston to seven games in the 84 conference finals.

And of course we have the Riley-Van Gundy Knicks that gave us 11 years of great playoff basketball. I'll never forget those classic series against Chicago, Indiana & Miami. If it wasn't for that sissy Charles Smith in 93 & Riley letting Starks shoot us out of a title in 94, I wouldn't be so bitter today. It's been 31 years & counting since I've called my boys champions.
Jeffx

Postby matmat8 on Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:24 pm

How old are you jeffx?

Anyway why not trying to get Abdur-Rahim? Maybe for like T.Thomas/Penny (contract expires)/ a scum and portland gives a scum or a second round pick.
He can be the inside scorer the knicks need AND his contract is expiring next year.
Getting Curry doesn't sound that bad he's doing good coming off the bench for chicago now. A lot of potential he isn't developping on the bulls and he's a big man you can build on.
matmat8

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:49 pm

In principle, Tim Thomas for Shareef isn't such a bad deal for the Knicks but they would then take on the problem Portland currently faces: two power forwards, both worthy of starting and neither suited to the small forward spot.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ataraxia on Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:20 am

I really dont think Reef is capable of all-star worthy numbers, Tim Thomas is one of those players thats gonna just stray and have potential but just end up a OK bench player.

I think Curry is a big risk too, hes got very little motivation and thats not what the Knicks need, they need players that got pride and a real drive to their game and can motivate players around them. I just dont see Curry ever being able to do that cause hes just not got that attribute in him.

The Knicks should make a run at Stro, I think he'd blossom if he gets to play for the Knicks, cause he'll play his natural PF spot and play in the small ball east.
Ataraxia

Postby Ruff Ryder on Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:51 am

Najira wrote:I think if Tim Thomas wasnt playing so crap, or Houston wasnt injured n doing well maybe there would be a chance of a Timmy T/Houston + Kurt T + Future Pick for VC

No way because the salaries are way off.

Andrew wrote:In principle, Tim Thomas for Shareef isn't such a bad deal for the Knicks but they would then take on the problem Portland currently faces: two power forwards, both worthy of starting and neither suited to the small forward spot.

I'm all for that because TOR has interest in Reef apparently so then NY could deal Reef to TOR for VC. :cool:

'Retired'

"You can’t drive a knife into a man’s back nine inches, pull it out six inches, and call it progress."-Malcolm X
Ruff Ryder

Postby Jeffx on Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:02 am

matmat8 wrote:How old are you jeffx?

I don't want Curry. Knicks need physical, blue-collar players to do the dirty work(like Oak used to). I haven't seen that from Curry.
Jeffx

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball