The Knicks Thread....

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Postby Amphatoast on Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:55 am

knicks just have not been the same since the patrick ewing era :(
Nate is looking great. Nate and Ariza are the future apparently.
Amphatoast

Postby AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy on Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:04 am

Every cloud has a silver lining my friend... urgh, I sound like Dweaver.

Good, good... you're picking up... :D

As for the Knicks, I like what they've done this offseason... But given the East is going from strength to strength, it's still hard for NY to make it deep into the playoffs... although you never can tell with Larry... :!:
AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy

Postby Jeffx on Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:30 am

Nietzschean Pride/DWeaver wrote:
As for the Knicks, I like what they've done this offseason... But given the East is going from strength to strength, it's still hard for NY to make it deep into the playoffs... although you never can tell with Larry... :!:

D, before that can happen, Brown has to get HIS type of players in here(cats who play smart offensively and bring the 'D' every night).
Jeffx

Postby kinokong on Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:07 pm

Jeffx wrote:
Nietzschean Pride/DWeaver wrote:

D, before that can happen, Brown has to get HIS type of players in here(cats who play smart offensively and bring the 'D' every night).

means death to jerome james... a wasted 29 mil... wish dolan could send me half of that....
kinokong

Postby Amphatoast on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:12 am

hmm kinda unusally quite for the knicks this offseason :?:
Amphatoast

Postby maltre on Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:40 pm

Morbid factoid of the day: "Napoleon killed over a thousand people with a cough.In 1799 he was deciding whether to release 1200 Turkish prisoners of war when he coughed and said: 'Ma sacre tough!' (My darned cough!), which sounded to officers like 'Massacrez tour!' (Kill them all!) So they did.

Not that this is On-Topic, but I do think it's 'Massacrez tout!' with a T, not an R.
maltre

Postby cklitsie on Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:29 am

maltre wrote:Not that this is On-Topic, but I do think it's 'Massacrez tout!' with a T, not an R.
It's a little off-topic yeah, but you are absolutely right.

I have nothing to say about the Knicks right now. :oops: Just let the season begin and prove all the haters wrong!
I know the Knicks aren't in the best possible situation right now but we have to stay positive... :wink:
cklitsie

Postby AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy on Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:32 am

Not that this is On-Topic, but I do think it's 'Massacrez tout!' with a T, not an R.

the horrors of 'copy/paste'... :lol:

jeffX was right... it's better to trade for his type of players rather than try and revamp Starbucks, Jamal-content and Q-trey into defense minded players... :|
AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy

Postby Amphatoast on Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:59 pm

so with knicks finally making headlines just before training camp team is shaping out to be..
C- Eddie Curry/ Jerome James
PF- Antino Davis/ Malki Rose/ Channing Frye / Maurice Traylor
SF- Quentin Richardson/ Triva Ariza
SG- Stephon Marbury/ Jamal Crawford/Allan Houston
PG- Anfrenee Hardaway/Nate Robinson

wow knicks no longer a undersized team anymore?
Amphatoast

Postby Jeffx on Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:29 pm

They're still soft defensively, Amp. This squad will drive Brown nuts.
Jeffx

Postby Amphatoast on Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:04 pm

Allan Houston won't retire accordingg to newsday

The word at the end of last season was that Allan Houston was through.

There were rumors that his arthritic knees would cause him to retire. Or the league was going to help the Knicks get rid of him with the so-called "Allan Houston Rule," a one-time provision that allows teams to cut a player and subtract his salary from what they would pay in luxury tax.

So you couldn't blame Houston for seeing some humor in his situation as he talked to a reporter during Knicks media day yesterday. "It is kind of ironic that the rule was named after me, and I'm still here," Houston said. "It's kind of like God is smiling at that one."

God may be smiling, but a lot of Knicks fans are not. It isn't entirely fair, but the six-year, $100-million contract that Houston signed four years ago has come to symbolize everything that is wrong with the salary-bloated, under-performing Knicks.

Houston, who led the Knicks to the NBA Finals in 1999, hasn't been much of a factor since Isiah Thomas took over the team. Knee injuries have limited him to 70 games during the past two seasons. Toward the end of last season, Thomas even went so far as to suggest that Houston should consider retiring.

But two things have helped Houston persevere: His deep religious convictions and his friendship with Knicks owner James Dolan. Houston told Dolan this summer that he still wants to play, and the Knicks surprised everyone by using the Allan Houston rule to get rid of Jerome Williams.

Dolan is basically betting $40 million of his money - that's how much the Knicks would have saved in luxury tax if they had waived him - that Houston will be able to pull a Grant Hill or Antonio McDyess. He is betting that Houston will be this year's feel-good story, that he will be able to return and contribute to the team in a big way.

For Knicks fans, it should be a painless bet, given that it's not their money and that waiving Houston wouldn't have given the team any flexibility under the salary cap. Perhaps it's time to stop blaming Houston because the Knicks overpaid him and start pulling for the guy to come back. Because contrary to rumors that have been floating out there, Houston has no intention of retiring.

"The one thing that I said to the media and to the Knicks and everybody is that I will be back," Houston said. "The thing that was toughest to me is when I go out and the fans that have supported me for nine or 10 years ask me if I'm retiring. I'm thinking, where did this miscommunication come from?

"I don't have to come back, but I really want to. I really want to play and I believe God wants me to. And that's the one thing I've been very adamant about saying. It's been hard."

Just three seasons ago, Houston posted back-to-back 50-point games. He doesn't know if he can be the same player he was before he was injured, but he said his knees feel better than they have in a long while - better than they did last season when he came back and played 20 games.

There still are some things Houston might not be able to do when he starts practice at the College of Charleston in South Carolina with his teammates, and he does not know if he will be ready to go by the start of the season. His mood, however, definitely is upbeat.

So much in Houston's life has changed since his biggest moment as a Knick, since he landed that dagger in Pat Riley's heart with a winning basket in a first-round playoff game against Miami in 1999. Houston, then a newlywed, has three children now. At age 34, he has gained perspective and witnessed both the highs and lows of playing in the NBA.

One thing, however, has remained the same: his belief that he is supposed to be on the court."It has everything to do with the deep feeling and desire I have to still contribute, the feeling that I know that this is still my purpose," Houston said. "I wouldn't have worked this hard for a year and a half if I didn't believe I should be out here."
Amphatoast

Postby Drex on Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:08 pm

That sounds great. If he's healthy, he can still contribute off the bench (Y)
Drex
You bastards!!!

Postby cklitsie on Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:30 pm

Good news Houston is still trying. Does anyone remember the pre-injury Houston when he played like he actually deserved a large contract (not this large though)? I wish he'd return to that form... :mrgreen:
cklitsie

Postby Amphatoast on Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:40 pm

Just a note, since Isiah Thomas has came in, he has done a lot of wheeling and dealing to the point where Houston is the only knick remaining from Layden's mess.

this could be the year things start to go up for the knicks
Amphatoast

Larry Brown Laying Down the Law

Postby Jeffx on Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:55 pm

Jeffx

Postby Amphatoast on Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:06 pm

hahah nice. I wonder which Knick will be the first to complain and bitch and want out?
Amphatoast

Postby Jeffx on Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:07 pm

Amphatoast wrote:hahah nice. I wonder which Knick will be the first to complain and bitch and want out?

I think everyone here knows the answer to THAT question. :wink:
Jeffx

Postby cklitsie on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:52 pm

Jeffx wrote:I think everyone here knows the answer to THAT question. :wink:
Well, actually there are a couple players that come up in my mind after the recent trade. :lol:
cklitsie

Postby Amphatoast on Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:01 am

yeah marbury, james, and even curry are potential candidates
Amphatoast

Postby Amphatoast on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:13 am

i know its preseason but..
Curry led the Knicks with 16 points and four rebounds in 13 minutes. He missed the last 13 regular-season games of last season and the playoffs after he was diagnosed with heart arrhythmia in March. Curry was traded from Chicago to New York in the offseason.

in a win vs NJ.

of course this came up
Before the game, Curry talked with reporters about the unexpected death of Atlanta Hawks' center Jason Collier, and how he felt about his own heart issues. Curry officially joined the Knicks Oct. 7 after a team of doctors hired by the club cleared him to play. An NBA cardiologist also reviewed the test results.

"I had so many doctors look at everything about my heart to make sure I'm 100 percent ready to come on this court," Curry said. "I really feel the doctors did a good job of evaluating my situation and making a good diagnosis that I'm finally able to play."
Amphatoast

Postby cklitsie on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:20 am

I agree with Curry.
It's a tragic thing that happened to Jason Collier and I'm sorry for his family, but why is Curry getting almost more attention than Collier? :? Curry got cleared by doctors, basically any random person could get a heart-attack tonight. :?

Again, RIP Jason Collier.
cklitsie

Postby Doobie on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:48 am

I'm watching Knicks Basketball again , feels good to see a game , even though we're losing . Knicks have like 18 TO's already . Sloppy game . they are passing the ball but a little too much . Curry is looking real good though.
New York Knicks
Doobie
didn't do it.

Postby Malfa on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:12 am

Amphatoast wrote:so with knicks finally making headlines just before training camp team is shaping out to be..
C- Eddie Curry/ Jerome James
PF- Antino Davis/ Malki Rose/ Channing Frye / Maurice Traylor
SF- Quentin Richardson/ Triva Ariza
SG- Stephon Marbury/ Jamal Crawford/Allan Houston
PG- Anfrenee Hardaway/Nate Robinson

wow knicks no longer a undersized team anymore?

You suck at spelling. :D
Malfa

Postby Amphatoast on Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:57 pm

who cares, point is they know who i am talking about. Do you want me to spell all the names correctly for you?
Amphatoast

Postby BOSS on Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:16 pm

Ye man, I know wha he talkin bout and iz all good. People here don't care if they miss spell shit so ye.

By the way Amphatoast, check out the "NLSC Triad Thread" in General Forums.
BOSS

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball