The Knicks Thread....

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Postby air gordon on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:16 am

then if they will make him a pass first PG, he doesn't exactly have the best teammates to pass to, espeically now that kurt thomas and his excellent mid range jumper is gone.

billups can be a pass first pg because there's rip, prince, and 'sheed

marbs is passing to crawford & qrich (39 & 40 career fg% respectively), career disappointment tim thomas, etc

with that roster, i'd rather have marbs being the 1st option. he did shoot a career best in FG & 3pt% last year
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Amphatoast on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:28 pm

rumors are tim thomas or penny ( both expiring this year) for michael finley. Good move or bad idea? Knicks take more salary hell but get a decent player who will end up else where if released
Amphatoast

Marbury Switching to SG?

Postby Jeffx on Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:49 am

Jeffx

Postby maes on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:15 am

Marbury can shoot like a SG but he can't defend like one.

His ideal role is similar to Billups & Jordan; team offense for 3 quarters, the 4th quarter is all his.
“Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.”
maes

Postby Amphatoast on Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:53 am

they will need a PG thats big and can defend the SG position, but then again marbury is pretty strong and fast. If he works on his D he could be just like iverson basically. The bald version though.
Last edited by Amphatoast on Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amphatoast

Postby kinokong on Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:05 pm

what ppl don't realize is that a real-life franchise isn't like nba live where you send in a trade based on player ratings and wait a couple of days for a reply. in real life, there are outside x-factors such as mentality, toughness, health, etc... also gms want to make sure they get the best end of the deal so they really don't do trades unless it is in their favor but wish it could be like nbalive. in 2005 i shedded the bloated contracts for young talent and watched them use a year to develop and won the nba title in 2007
PPL r a little feisty these days:D
kinokong

Postby cklitsie on Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:57 pm

just_decent wrote:what ppl don't realize is that a real-life franchise isn't like nba live
:o you're kidding right?

ps. for real, who are these 'people' that don't realize this? :?
cklitsie

Postby kinokong on Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:35 pm

ceekay wrote:
just_decent wrote:what ppl don't realize is that a real-life franchise isn't like nba live
:o you're kidding right?

ps. for real, who are these 'people' that don't realize this? :?

it was just an example for those who think a gms job is easy especially in ny where rebuild to the knicks is like telling a granny while your walking down the street to go fuck herself up your ass and flpping her off
kinokong

Postby Amphatoast on Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:43 am

New York Knicks: The New York Post reported Allan Houston isn't expected to be waived before the league's amnesty deadline Monday.

The Post said the team may waive one of four players to take advantage of the one-time league provision that allows teams to reduce their luxury tax liability. The three possible candidates are power forwards Malik Rose, Maurice Taylor and Jerome Williams. Also, the Knicks may waive the contract of Shandon Anderson, bought out last October, The Post said.

If the team waives Houston, it would save $39.8 million in luxury tax, the newspaper said. The provision in its new collective bargaining agreement is informally referred to as "The Allan Houston Rule."

The Knicks would prefer that Houston agree to a medical retirement, which would save them much more than just the luxury tax reduction of the amnesty rule. Houston would get every penny but insurance -- not the Knicks -- would pay 75 percent of Houston's $39.8 million in salary, minus a 20 percent deductible.

Sources close to Houston told The Post that Houston had not yet been informed of the Knicks' decision.

The Knicks can save $18 million if they waive Anderson's pact on Monday. The Knicks would save $18.8 million waiving Taylor, but his contract becomes a big asset next summer when it enters its final year. Rose, in contrast, has three years remaining and the Knicks could be relieved of $19.5 million in luxury tax.

funny.. how the knicks trade for Mo Taylor and Malik Rose and now they want to waive them :?:
Amphatoast

Postby J@3 on Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:52 am

It's quite funny that the "Allan Houston Rule" might not result in Houston actually being part of it :lol: If Malik Rose was on a decent sized contract they could still use him.
J@3

Postby Amphatoast on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:29 am

yeah it also shows that the knicks might have some faith in houston.. would really hurt paying this guy a lot of money seeing him produce else where
Amphatoast

Postby Mentally Hilarious on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:35 am

Amphatoast wrote:yeah it also shows that the knicks might have some faith in houston.. would really hurt paying this guy a lot of money seeing him produce else where

Is it faith counting on his knees giving out forcing him into retirement? Thank god I'm not playing on the Knicks.

Oh, and go Boston.
Mentally Hilarious

Postby Doobie on Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:48 am

i think allan houston should stay. He could become a very good sixth man if he gets the oppurtinity . its not like the knicks will be under the cap for a while anyways.
New York Knicks
Doobie
didn't do it.

Postby John WB on Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:57 am

They definately should use the rule though.

On Shandon Anderson at the very least as mentioned above.
John WB

Postby Doobie on Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:30 am

Yea on Shandon i would understand , but for some odd reason i think one of the only knicks fans that want to actually KEEP houston.
New York Knicks
Doobie
didn't do it.

Postby Mentally Hilarious on Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:42 am

You seem to miss the point.

If they keep Houston, they'll pay him 40 mil over 2 seasons and a dollar-for-dollar luxury tax. So by keeping him they'll pay 80 mil over 2 seasons. If they cut him they'll only pay 40.

And by keeping him, and thereby hoping for him to retire, they would only pay 25% of 40 mil when he infact does retire.

EDIT: And the players who are cut are still payed by their former team, so the salary still counts against the cap until the contract-time is up. The new team that they sign with will pay the normal salary and the difference has to be payed by the former team.

So, if Houston is cut, and then signed by Detroit for 2 mil/year NYK would pay 18 mil, and Detroit 2 mil to make up for a total salary of 20 mil.
Mentally Hilarious

Postby matmat8 on Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:53 pm

As a Knicks fan i'd rather they keep Houston (which they did). They will have to pay him 40 mil anyways and who cares about the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax? I mean i don't give a shit the owner can save some money, it's not going to help the team.

I'd pick Houston over Rose, Williams, Taylor and especially as the knicks roster is full of Pf's...
matmat8

Postby Amphatoast on Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:15 pm

yeah it would be tough cutting someone who you have to pay 40mill to.
Amphatoast

Postby Jeffx on Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:36 am

Here's more Allan Houston stuff. I want him out of here, but looks like Dolan wants him to stay. Just f-n great.

Why did Larry Brown sign up for this torture?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... 8327c.html
Jeffx

Postby Jeffx on Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:31 am

Here's more bad news for Knicks from Mitch Lawrence:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... 8326c.html
Jeffx

Postby J@3 on Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:42 am

Allan Houston said he was only joking yesterday when he called himself an "overpaid, injured athlete,"

It's funny cause it's true.
J@3

Postby Amphatoast on Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:20 am

yeah i just knew Dolan had something to do with Houston staying.. after all he is the one who gave him that contract.

But wow Houston career is near the end. I didn't know he was 34. After this contract I think that will be it for him.

Crawford, after what, 1 year of this guy he appears to be out. Tisk tisk, and they worked so hard to get him from the bulls.
Amphatoast

Postby John WB on Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:25 am

Jae wrote:
Allan Houston said he was only joking yesterday when he called himself an "overpaid, injured athlete,"

It's funny cause it's true.

Yeah, it is. What's odd is why he would joke about that.
John WB

Postby Jeffx on Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:10 am

As a long-time Knick fan, it sickens me seeing what Dolan has done to this franchise(the Rangers too). We're a laughingstock around the league. I've read quotes from other GMs saying, "What is the Knicks plan?"
Jeffx

Postby J@3 on Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:24 am

Jeffx wrote:As a long-time Knick fan, it sickens me seeing what Dolan has done to this franchise(the Rangers too). We're a laughingstock around the league. I've read quotes from other GMs saying, "What is the Knicks plan?"

Every cloud has a silver lining my friend... urgh, I sound like Dweaver.

As bad as things look now, SOMETHING is bound to work out... I mean this isn't the Clippers, one person can't ruin the entire team forever.
J@3

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball