Larry Hughes - the next Kobe Bryant

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Postby Clinton on Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:01 pm

Hughes is a far better shooter than Stackhouse


No he isn't. Look at their career shooting percentages. Hughes may be shooting better now but I doubt if it will continue for a month, let alone a season.

far better rebounder than Stackhouse


They both are about as good as each other in the rebounding catagory.

far better stealer than Stackhouse.


They are again, about as good as each other.

And if given the shot attempts Stackhouse takes, a far better scorer than Stackhouse.


Larry Hughes would love to get the amount of shots Stack gets. God help the Wiz if he does. When he thinks he can shoot, he will shoot. I think he is being a lot more controlled with MJ on his back all year. Once MJ goes he is going to think he has to step up. That's not going to be good.

And if there is no Stackhouse trade this season, well i'm willing to bet you anything that Stackhouse won't be a Wizard next season, so what will it be?


Your willing to bet on this?? :?
User avatar
Clinton
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:32 pm
Location: Pato son....

Postby unstoppable on Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:47 pm

You seem to be unaware of the following statistics -

Hughes Season Stats:
11.9ppg .480%fg, .385%3pt, .732%ft, 5.4rpg, 2.9apg, 1.29spg, 1.95tpg
Stackhouse Season Stats:
21.5ppg .402%fg, .338%3pt, .873%ft, 4.3rpg, 4.9apg, 0.77spg, 3.09tpg

Last 5 games:
Hughes:
18ppg
.557%fg
10.4rpg
3.6apg

Last 5 games:
Stackhouse:
18.8ppg
.379%fg
2.8rpg
5.2apg

And yes, i'm willing to bet anything in the world that Stackhouse will not be a Wizard next season. Heck, he may not even survive this season.
unstoppable
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:16 pm

Postby :digerati: on Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:20 am

You seem to ignore career stats.

If the Wizards dump Stack, they aren't getting any high-priced free agents.

Stackhouse and Brown will not bag you a superstar, since teams know Stack is probably opting out of his contract and Brown is a waste of space.

The Wizards have to keep Stack for two simple reasons. He's the only guard they have that can actually match up against others. He gives them depth, Dixon and Hughes can't play 48 minutes.
:digerati:
 

Postby unstoppable on Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:28 am

¤ wrote:You seem to ignore career stats.

Well Brickhouse's career has been much the same as this season. While Hughes is a rising star, so his his career stats are supposed to be inferior.

¤ wrote:If the Wizards dump Stack, they aren't getting any high-priced free agents.

Not many teams take those negative approaches to free-agency, especially one with Michael Jordan.

¤ wrote:Stackhouse and Brown will not bag you a superstar, since teams know Stack is probably opting out of his contract and Brown is a waste of space.

That superstar could be a player who is also in the last year of his contract and is worth the max and therefore unaffordable to his team for next season (see Clippers). That team will also know that Stackhouse won't get the max next season from any of the 29 teams and is thus affordable.

¤ wrote:The Wizards have to keep Stack for two simple reasons. He's the only guard they have that can actually match up against others. He gives them depth, Dixon and Hughes can't play 48 minutes.

Hughes is the only guard they have who can match up against others at both ends. Dixon and Hughes can defintely play starters minutes (Hughes already does while Dixon has dominated everytime he has had signficant minutes - check the box scores), and Lue has always played big minutes though off the bench.

Once again i bet any money or anything in the world that Jerry Stackhouse will not be a Wizard next season.
unstoppable
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:16 pm

Postby GloveGuy on Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:56 am

How about MJ's stats for today: 1-9, 2 points, 8 rebounds, 9 assists, 2 steals, and a block. I'd say it was a good game. He stood out in the other statistics when his jumper wasn't falling.
User avatar
GloveGuy
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:55 am
Location: Boston, MA

...

Postby MC Hao on Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:25 am

2 POINTS?! That's the lowest career low! Dang!
Image
User avatar
MC Hao
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:57 pm

Postby unstoppable on Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:29 am

MJ is a highly unselfish basketball player who only cares about winning; this season has shown that.

MJ needed to average around 21ppg this season to retain his career scoring record. Wilt will own that if MJ continues at this pace, but it don't matter to MJ. He could have thrown up 25 shots and got his 15 on an off shooting night.

Beating the Raptors is all that matters.
unstoppable
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:16 pm

Postby :digerati: on Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:07 pm

unstoppable wrote:Well Brickhouse's career has been much the same as this season. While Hughes is a rising star, so his his career stats are supposed to be inferior.

Ah, but, Hughes isn't a rising star. He's a six year player who's looking worse pretty much every season, is injury prone and shoots worse than Stack (at regular FG's, at 3's and at FT's) and thus isn't the scoring threat. Plus he doesn't have the size Stackhouse does.
unstoppable wrote:Not many teams take those negative approaches to free-agency, especially one with Michael Jordan.

Negative? Try realistic. Nobody will want to go to a team that dumps it's best player, has a horrid frontcourt, a twig backcourt with no real PG and has a management that says it doesn't want to pay it's players.
unstoppable wrote:That superstar could be a player who is also in the last year of his contract and is worth the max and therefore unaffordable to his team for next season (see Clippers).

Clippers have no max players and even if they did, they wouldn't be unaffordable. There are only two max FA's next year, Duncan and Kidd. And Stackhouse+Brown will not get you either of them. Hell, Stackhouse+Brown won't even net you Kandi, Brand, Odom or Andre Miller.
unstoppable wrote:That team will also know that Stackhouse won't get the max next season from any of the 29 teams and is thus affordable.

So, some team will trade it's superstar player for Kwame Brown. I highly doubt that.
unstoppable wrote:Hughes is the only guard they have who can match up against others at both ends.

No, he can't. He's only 184lbs.
unstoppable wrote:Dixon and Hughes can defintely play starters minutes (Hughes already does while Dixon has dominated everytime he has had signficant minutes - check the box scores)

Yes, they can play 32-36 minutes a night, but they can't play 48 minutes. Which is what I said.
unstoppable wrote:and Lue has always played big minutes though off the bench.

But he's a FA. They have to renounce him in order to have the maximum amount of cash under the cap to not sign anybody worth it.
unstoppable wrote:Once again i bet any money or anything in the world that Jerry Stackhouse will not be a Wizard next season.

If I recall correctly, Stackhouse was happy to be a Wizard because they were going to give him that extension he desires.
:digerati:
 

Postby unstoppable on Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:58 pm

disagree with everything you just said spinboy. and since i have a life, i won't give a 1000 word essay on why i disagree. all i can say is, i bet you anything in the world that Jerry Stackhouse will not be a Wizard next season. so, what are you willing to bet? (this applies to you too Clinton)
unstoppable
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:16 pm

Postby Nick on Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:06 pm

Me too...i'm in...i bet against you, unstoppable...
I bet that Stack will be a wizard next season...
User avatar
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor
 
Posts: 6536
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 10:01 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Postby :digerati: on Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:19 pm

unstoppable wrote:and since i have a life

Wow! So do I and everyone else that's alive!
unstoppable wrote:i won't give a 1000 word essay on why i disagree.

I don't care?
unstoppable wrote:all i can say is, i bet you anything in the world that Jerry Stackhouse will not be a Wizard next season. so, what are you willing to bet?

Your life? Stack isn't a Wizard next year, you take your life?

But wait...I never said Stack wouldn't be a Wizard next season. I just said it'd be stupid, foolish and useless to make a trade for a player who's the best player on your team and you're just letting him go for nothing.
:digerati:
 

Postby unstoppable on Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:26 pm

i gather 2 things from your post (or whatever you call that):

1. you have never heard the phrase 'get a life'

&

2. you are not so certain that Stackhouse will be a Wizard next season
unstoppable
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:16 pm

Postby Clinton on Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:32 pm

You also wanna bet that Larry Hughes is better then Jerry Stackhouse? :lol:
User avatar
Clinton
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:32 pm
Location: Pato son....

Postby unstoppable on Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:34 pm

Larry Hughes is far better than Jerry Stackhouse, at both SG and PG.
unstoppable
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:16 pm

Postby Clinton on Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:46 pm

:lol: HAHAHA. Nice one. I will agree with you on the point guard bit, only because Hughes is the only one who has played there. On the other hand, in the way of shooting guards Hughes is overrated, erratic, selfish and bad defensively. He may be a great defender against point guards (or so you think) but he has nope hope in hell of guarding guys like Kobe, TMac and Paul Pierce. He isn't big enough to guard them.
User avatar
Clinton
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:32 pm
Location: Pato son....

Postby unstoppable on Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:02 pm

My point about Hughes as a SG will be proven next season when he starts at that position after Stack leaves (or this season if Brickhouse is traded or shoots/bricks himself onto the bench).
unstoppable
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:16 pm

Postby Clinton on Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:03 pm

Hughes as a shooting guard has already been tried. This is how everyone knows how much he sucks at shooting guard because he is too shot friendly. He learnt it fom playing with Iverson.
User avatar
Clinton
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:32 pm
Location: Pato son....

Postby unstoppable on Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:55 pm

Actually he played PG last season.
unstoppable
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:16 pm

Postby Clinton on Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:06 pm

When did I say he didn't play point guard last season?? :?
User avatar
Clinton
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:32 pm
Location: Pato son....

Wiz

Postby streakshooter on Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:27 pm

Actually this topic should not be argued this much.....

whether they stick with stack or go for hughes next season wouldn't matter, washington will still suck big time......

Unless they get rid of Collins who's currently doing a poor job of getting this team's act together despite a fairly competitive line-up and a healthy MJ.....

Or trade stack, hughes or brown or all of them for a legit superstar who can deliver the goods consistently..........
streakshooter
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:15 pm

Postby Boyk on Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:25 am

Clinton wrote:Hughes as a shooting guard has already been tried. This is how everyone knows how much he sucks at shooting guard because he is too shot friendly. He learnt it fom playing with Iverson.


yer it was tried and it was his best season ever.........lol
even though injuries knocked back his 99\00 season, it was still his best season, and where did he play........SG
hes a natural SG straight up, no doubt about it
anyway i think it was also the year where the league was cutdown to 50 games

22.7ppg 5.9rpg 4.1apg 1.9spg and was an iverson type shooter though

but he averaged more assists at sg than he is at pg........wtf!
Image
Thanks to TEH G.O.A.T for Sig
Formerly known as Laddas
Watch out for Kobe,Melo n the Lakers!
User avatar
Boyk
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:51 am
Location: Kalgoorlie, Western Australia

Postby :digerati: on Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:51 am

unstoppable wrote:you have never heard the phrase 'get a life'

Oh, I've heard that ignorant and descriminatory phrase numerous times. What it means, is because someone's life is different from yours, they are dead. You know who else thought that? Adolf Hitler.
unstoppable wrote:2. you are not so certain that Stackhouse will be a Wizard next season

I never said he would or wouldn't be. I simply said it'd be stupid to acquire him and then not keep him.
unstoppable wrote:Larry Hughes is far better than Jerry Stackhouse, at both SG and PG.

Far better? Hardly. It's debatable if he's better, but far better? No.
unstoppable wrote:My point about Hughes as a SG will be proven next season when he starts at that position after Stack leaves (or this season if Brickhouse is traded or shoots/bricks himself onto the bench).

Why would Stackhouse "brick" himself to the bench? He's a proven scorer, he rebounds, distributes the ball and is the only guard with size not named Bryon Russell or Michael Jordan. And he's better than one and a half of them.
unstoppable wrote:Actually he played PG last season.

And failed at it. He's played SG in the past though.
streakshooter wrote:whether they stick with stack or go for hughes next season wouldn't matter, washington will still suck big time......

Yes! Yes! Yes! Even though they'd suck less with Stackhouse.
streakshooter wrote:Or trade stack, hughes or brown or all of them for a legit superstar who can deliver the goods consistently..........

You'd have to trade all of them, along with Dixon and Haywood to get a superstar.
:digerati:
 

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:15 am

Well... this is to Unstoppable.

Firstly, you should realise that the Wiz traded for Stack cause they thought Rip wasn't doin a good job and Stack has a low post presence. They wanted Stack cause they thought he'd help the Wiz win.

Secondly, your argument bout Stack not bein a Wizard next season. You are actually wrong! At first Coach Collins said that if Stack doesn't deliver (as in hog the ball), than he's off the team. HELLO? Stack isn't doin that right now (except for a few times) and Collin's statement backfired and in fact he actually feels the need to keep Stack.

Also, the only reason Larry is in Washington is the fact that he was meant to be backup for Stack. One reason that he's startin' PG is that the other point's aren't showin thier stuff.

Lue should have stayed for a second year of college and Juan is injured... what else is there to do?? It's just an experiment and trust me cause if Stack does play this well and hopefully better.... for the rest of the season he'll be a Wizard next year. Larry will be here too, if he plays better too.

And to your point of Larry bein the next King Kobes- Dream on. At first... yes he could hav been but after his 3rd year... he's been crap. Yeah- also there is no such thing as a next Kobe! K8 IS the only possible next Kobe.

Well... the Wizards rock!
User avatar
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit
 
Posts: 14872
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:19 pm

Postby scubilete on Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:28 am

I really don't know what is all that about Stackhouse leaving the Wiz, maybe Collins said it but don't think he meant it. First of all, I do think they got a lot for Richard who is playing better in Detroit just cause the freedom he feels there to shoot the ball. The only one in the team who should retire is MJ, he wants to make the team better but he's not letting others develop their game, he wants to play more minutes, of course he's the best & I respect that, but when you have in that team 3 first round pick, 2 from last year, one of them first overall pick, means you have young talent. Everyone who believes the Wiz would go far this season with MJ asking for more minutes, those still believe The Jazz are going to win with the Ancients. You could quote, Malone & Stockton are still good, yes, but they are not young, they can't run like they used to 10 years ago, the biggest mistake Wiz would do is to let Stack go, I believe he's the leader of the team because you already know MJ is leaving and this is not the Wiz year, so who are the Wiz going to get to lead the team if Stack leaves?
User avatar
scubilete
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:23 am
Location: Waterland, North Pole

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:55 am

Dude... firstly, I think that MJ should leave cause one reason that Kwame didn't perform is that MJ took the spotlight of Kwame. Everyone knows that one plays better when they are being watched/focussed on. MJ took everyone's attention off Kwame and he didn't feel he could play as well cause he didn't get no support. That's why MJ should go. Or at least settle for his sixth man role.

WHO REACKONS MJ SHOULD START??
User avatar
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit
 
Posts: 14872
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests