The Glove

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

The Glove

Postby GloveGuy on Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:57 am

Has anyone noticed how well Gary Payton's doing this year. He's the only guard who averages a double double. The guy's ranked third in double-doubles(12) above Tim Duncan, and equal to Nowitzki. He's first in assists by a long shot(10, 2 more than 2nd ranked). He's 9th in scoring(22). How is this guy able to do all this in a night. He might not dominate day-in and day-out but he has the complete game. He can post up other gaurds, drive the lane, penetrate really well, pass, shoot mid-range and beyong the arc. Not to mention his defense. Yeah he might only average 1.5 p/ game but he's still one of the, if not the best guard defender in the league. All you guys talk about Kobe and T-Mac. What about my man GP, one of the few guys to make Jordan seem like just another player on the court. And how dare y'all say that Jason Kidd is the best PG in the league. I'd like to see him carry the Sonics on his back.
GloveGuy

Postby :digerati: on Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:13 pm

Bah, Kidd's overrated, Payton was more deserving of MVP last year than Kidd (but not more than Duncan ;))

I don't see why we should expect any less of Gary, he's only done this for how many years? And now he's playing more as a team player than even back in '96, yet still racking up the points (clearly because he's a much better shooter than Kidd)

Though it's debatable who's the best PG in the league, one thing I've learned over the years is, never underestimate Gary Payton. Even if he has been regulated to the status of "that other, older PG from the Bay Area" by most people.
:digerati:

Postby Defel on Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:57 pm

I would have to say that Gary Payton is the most graceful player on offense. He moves like he's dancing...Going side to side, jab-stepping, doing step-backs...Sometimes, it looks like he's slowly and methodically hypnotizing his defender. And then he'll suddenly pull up for a jumper or make a lightining-quick drive on the baseline and lay it in.
Defel

Postby mana on Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:58 pm

A true professional that gives u 100% night in and night out. Many have compared AI as a little man with big heart and playthrough injuries. GP has been playing like this for 13 years, unless it's serious injuries, GP would never miss a game and play like a 25 years ago every night. Never blame anything regarding to injuries, off night. Imagine a 30+ man running the floor every night for 13 years along with the recent HYPED, miller, bibby etc and still outshine them. Never back down from anything, carrying the Sonic as a leader regardless without a star nor stuck with Kemp/Baker. A 6-4 PG lead the Sonic in assist, 3pt, point, steals and mins. Can do anything both end of the floor as any of your overhyped 2 guards in this leguae except dunking. Oneof the few players left in the leaguae capable of domainting the game without dunking instead take to the hoops and kiss it off the glass over the baby 7 footer.

Missed only 5 games and played a total of 965 games.

And at 34, Payton hasn't slowed so much as a step. He was one of 41 players to play 82 games last season. Only eight played at least 79 games each of the previous two seasons. Payton, Stockton, Mark Jackson and 23-year-old Baron Davis were the point guards on that list of eight.

He is one of those players you don't want to match up with every game.
A true warrior.

:Pity most young PG today have already overlooked that:
mana

Postby Clinton on Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:23 pm

Gary would have a championship now, if Kemp stayed in town. I have always been a Kemp fan and if the Sonics would have given him the contract he deserved his career wouldn't have gone downhill. Payton and Kemp would have won the title the year Jordan retired. They were always the best tandem in the NBA.
Clinton

Return to NBA & Basketball