Bob Knight R.I.P.

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Bob Knight R.I.P.

Postby Jeffx on Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:14 pm

Never cared much for the man, but I always respected his coaching knowledge and his impact on the game. Can't take that away from Knight. He was a double-edged sword.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ht-dies-83
Jeffx

Re: Bob Knight R.I.P.

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:28 pm

Yeah I definitely have mixed feelings about him, especially after watching The Last Days of Knight. Indeed, the shrill, foot stamping, apologist responses to that documentary - such as this one - demonstrate just why it was necessary. It's a damn shame that there are people who - even with the benefit of hindsight - can't admit that he was out of line then, and that the student was treated horribly. There's a fine line between passion and ill temper, and he crossed it.

With that being said, he was a great coach in his day and important to the sport of basketball, and he absolutely deserves credit for that. He's also human at the end of the day, with friends and loved ones mourning the loss. It's hard to eulogise someone who courted controversy as he did, but in the grand scheme of things, there have been far worse people in the world, his basketball accomplishments are noteworthy, and he knew his stuff when it came to hoops. It's also a reminder that the older figures of the sport are getting up there in years and are passing away, and we should appreciate their contributions to the game while they're still alive.

All mixed feelings and controversies aside, condolences to his friends and family. RIP coach.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball