Klay Thompson to miss season with Achilles tear

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Klay Thompson to miss season with Achilles tear

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:23 pm

Golden State Warriors' Klay Thompson suffers season-ending Achilles tear

Golden State Warriors star guard Klay Thompson has suffered a season-ending tear to his right Achilles tendon.

The injury occurred during a workout Wednesday in Southern California, the team announced. He had an MRI on Thursday morning.

Based on the type of tear, Thompson has been told to expect that he will make a full recovery, a source told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Thompson's agent, Greg Lawrence, told ESPN that his client is expected to be fully recovered for the start of the 2021-22 season.

Horrible luck coming off the ACL tear in his left knee. The prognosis could be worse, but that's another year off his career, and another season where the Warriors will be without his services.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Klay Thompson to miss season with Achilles tear

Postby Phil89 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:18 pm

I can't imagine how deflating it must be for him to suffer another serious injury just as he was getting back from the first one. That is terrible luck.

In related news, the Warriors traded for Kelly Oubre today. Which I guess means that they don't intend to tank this season after the Klay news?
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Re: Klay Thompson to miss season with Achilles tear

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm

I don't think it's in their nature to tank. It really only came about last year because Curry went down with an injury, and even then it wasn't so much tanking as they simply weren't good enough to be as competitive as they normally are.

In regards to Klay's injury, my mind flashed back to that doctor who recommended that he shouldn't play for a couple of years, based on the fact that most players try to get back as soon as possible and it's a very delicate injury. Obviously it's his Achilles this time and on his other leg, but it's all part of the same mechanism. Injure a knee, an ankle, or whatever, and the way you favour it can result in stress, strains, and serious injuries to something else.

It could well just be bad luck, but I do wonder if perhaps he wasn't quite ready for a full scrimmage just yet, coming off that knee injury. It might be fine, but the way he's running or jumping might not be, resulting in the Achilles tear.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball