2020 Playoffs: (1) Lakers vs (4) Rockets

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

How is this series ending?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:28 am

Lakers in 4
No votes
Lakers in 5
No votes
Lakers in 6
75%
Lakers in 7
No votes
Rockets in 4
No votes
Rockets in 5
No votes
Rockets in 6
No votes
Rockets in 7
No votes
Lamrock was too slow on making this topic
25%
Dwight and McGee leave the bubble due to lack of playing time
No votes

Total votes : 4

2020 Playoffs: (1) Lakers vs (4) Rockets

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:28 am

Lakers had a bit of a rest and got to watch the Rockets go to game 7. The Rockets small ball might not necessarily work as the Lakers can play AD at the 5 in a small lineup. Thoughts?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: 2020 Playoffs: (1) Lakers vs (4) Rockets

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:01 am

I'm going with the Lakers in 6, assuming the Rockets put up the best fight they can. Could be over in five, but I think the Rockets will at least avoid the sweep.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:16 am

AD PLEASE PLAY THE 5 PLEASE. Lakers in 5 if so
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Lamrock on Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:59 am

He got me. That fucking [Q] boomed me. He's so fast

Anyway give me the Lakers in 6. When the Rockets had a 2-0 lead, I was actually leaning towards picking them to win this series but since then they've looked bad and the Lakers continue to be more well rested. Rockets take a couple games with hot shooting and good defensive, but LeBron and AD steamroll them the rest of the way.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:42 pm

That's pretty much how I see it unfolding, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:28 pm

So look, the series isn't officially over and the Rockets aren't eliminated yet, but can we finally put to rest the idea that D'Antoni's style and an analytrics-driven gameplan wherein open layups and midrange shots are passed up for missed threes and turnovers, is in any way a formula for success in the Playoffs?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:15 am

They actually played really well in the first round and game 1 when they stayed committed to the defensive end. Unfortunately the Lakers made an adjustment and Davis is just way too good and it's hampered the effectiveness of the lineup and Tucker specifically. They either needed to make a lineup adjustment or a backup plan but they just kinda went all in on Tucker at center.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:42 am

Indeed, and for all the talk of positionless basketball and everything, not having size to counter size is going to cause these problems. LeBron, AD, and Kuzma are feasting inside.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:02 am

[Q] wrote:They actually played really well in the first round and game 1 when they stayed committed to the defensive end. Unfortunately the Lakers made an adjustment and Davis is just way too good and it's hampered the effectiveness of the lineup and Tucker specifically. They either needed to make a lineup adjustment or a backup plan but they just kinda went all in on Tucker at center.

Dude, when has D'Antoni ever had a backup plan? We've seen this with him for years.

I've been reading comments from Rockets fans on social media - some feel Houston should've kept Capela....who knows?
Jeffx

Postby [Q] on Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:53 am

Andrew wrote:Indeed, and for all the talk of positionless basketball and everything, not having size to counter size is going to cause these problems. LeBron, AD, and Kuzma are feasting inside.

Especially when LeBron has the ball, the other Lakers are cutting easily into the lane
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:00 am

Jeffx wrote:
[Q] wrote:They actually played really well in the first round and game 1 when they stayed committed to the defensive end. Unfortunately the Lakers made an adjustment and Davis is just way too good and it's hampered the effectiveness of the lineup and Tucker specifically. They either needed to make a lineup adjustment or a backup plan but they just kinda went all in on Tucker at center.

Dude, when has D'Antoni ever had a backup plan? We've seen this with him for years.

I've been reading comments from Rockets fans on social media - some feel Houston should've kept Capela....who knows?

Covington has been good so I don't know if keeping Capela would have helped. I don't think he played a single game for Atlanta due to injury?

They should have signed some sort of mobile big man instead of all these small ball guys they weren't going to play. If they didn't want to play Chandler they could've signed like a Larry Sanders or someone like that to mix up their lineup and be less predictable
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby debiler on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:17 pm

Andrew wrote:So look, the series isn't officially over and the Rockets aren't eliminated yet, but can we finally put to rest the idea that D'Antoni's style and an analytrics-driven gameplan wherein open layups and midrange shots are passed up for missed threes and turnovers, is in any way a formula for success in the Playoffs?

I didn't expect anything else. I know D'Antoni tries to think outside the box and keeps finding new ways to play the game. But at some point, you just have to admit that these ways don't work in competitive games at the highest level. I've said it last year, the year before that and the year before that, and I'm getting tired of the Rockets giving him chance after chance. I mean, he did actually have an alternative gameplan of sorts this year, which quite surprised me. Maybe in 10 years, he'll actually make it to the finals.

As always, glad the Rockets are out. This is basketball, not the shooting gallery.
Confucius say: "Man go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger."
debiler

Postby Kevin on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:36 pm

That was easy. I was right but somehow I guess I voted Lakers in 6 in the poll? Lol.

Crazy stat: Rockets never led since Game 3 what
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Lamrock on Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:55 pm

Andrew wrote:So look, the series isn't officially over and the Rockets aren't eliminated yet, but can we finally put to rest the idea that D'Antoni's style and an analytrics-driven gameplan wherein open layups and midrange shots are passed up for missed threes and turnovers, is in any way a formula for success in the Playoffs?

I don't think this is the final referendum on this style of play. Houston's starting lineup isn't much smaller than the Warriors' original death lineup. The Lakers are just the far more talented team. Moreyball had them a game away from beating one of the best teams of all-time in the 2018 Warriors. They regressed in 2019 and they made the terrible decision to trade for Westbrook. In a last ditch effort to salvage their season they traded away their center to make Westbrook playable. The Rockets looked great at times but didn't have the energy to keep it up for long. Losing House also hurt.

Houston was never going far in the playoffs this season, they just didn't have the guys. At least they tried something different.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:24 pm

That wasn't the only lineup that the Warriors would run with, though. Also, almost doesn't cut it. They threw away that game in 2018 because the "threes are worth more than twos" mentality saw them miss over twenty threes in a row, squandering a lead because they wouldn't change tactics despite them clearly not working as long as they couldn't buy a bucket from range. The Lakers are a more talented team, but they also have size that the Rockets couldn't counteract.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball