2019-2020 Season Daily Discussion

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: 2019-2020 Season Daily Discussion

Postby Jeffx on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:02 am

Not feeling this year's Finals. For me, it has nothing to do with social justice messages....there's no 'juice' in this match-up. Even at full strength, I felt Miami would lose in 5. I watched a little of Game 3, but that was it.

However, most of my right-leaning friends are turned off to the NBA, especially Lebron...they were done once they saw BLM on the court and on player jerseys. Even some of my family members, who aren't politically conservative, have shut the NBA off (like my brother, an ex-cop). They feel it's too much.

Mark Cuban and Ted Cruz going at it on Twitter about the tv ratings;

https://deadline.com/2020/10/ted-cruz-m ... 234592211/
Jeffx

Re: 2019-2020 Season Daily Discussion

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:32 am

The funny thing is that the NBA championing progressive causes is hardly a new development. I suppose things are pretty tense these days, but still.

My lack of interest definitely has nothing to do with the political and social commentary. I'm all for letting the players speak out, and for the league to champion causes; I'm not bothered by their stance at all. The quality of basketball just hasn't been that good. I've felt that way for some years now, but the pick-up atmosphere and quality of play in the Bubble, to say nothing of a one-sided Finals series, doesn't do it for me. Beyond my usual gripes with the contemporary style of play, the realities of 2020 and the shutdown/restart have had an affect on everything. As soon as all that happened, it wasn't ever going to be a golden year for sports, or most things. At the risk of sounding trite, it is what it is.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball