RIP Fred McLeod

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

RIP Fred McLeod

Postby cavs4872 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:48 am

Only voice I ever knew for the Cavs (other than Joe Tait of course); died unexpectedly of a heart attack Monday night. My jaw hit the floor. 67 years old and was gearing up for the season. 13 year partnership with Austin Carr as the play-by-play man (22 years with the Pistons previously). :( Class act, as everyone on the Cavs telecast crew is (Austin Carr, Jeff Phelps and Campy Russell).

Was reminded of him while watching this video:

phpBB [video]

Total end of an era for the Cavs: LeBron is gone, will probably never win a championship again, the arena isn't even called the Q anymore...
cavs4872
All I do is ball

Re: RIP Fred McLeod

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:01 pm

Saw that trending the other day. It' probably because my folks are up around that age and I'm hoping to have them around for a while yet, but it still seems too young, especially as he was still active and working. RIP.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: RIP Fred McLeod

Postby cavs4872 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:01 pm

It's truly unfortunate. I really didn't appreciate it the second time LeBron came back. I infamously slept through Game 7 (I'm a labor worker, and that's a late work night). I paid the most attention during the last season when the dysfunction was at its peak and Ty Lue was obsessed with playing Jae Crowder at the 4 so they traded him and eventually would fire Ty.

Like I had to have been paying attention to the title team and watching games here and there, but I can barely remember any of it -- it's very bizarre. I think I had a slight hipster moment when everyone in my house was watching it (even my brother who hates sports) and I was thinking "You guys didn't pay attention during the Christian Eyenga and Semih Erden years!" :lol:

And the circumstance of LeBron coming back to win the title isn't even a once in a lifetime thing, but a once in human existence type of thing.
cavs4872
All I do is ball

Return to NBA & Basketball