Darren Collison Retires

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Darren Collison Retires

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Darren Collison: ‘I have decided to retire from the NBA’

A surprising announcement given that he's only 31 with ten years in the league. It's not unprecedented of course, but considering how long players (stars or otherwise) are sticking around these days, it's unusual.

Sounds like he feels he has another calling, though. As long as he's been careful with his money, I expect he's set for life. Best of luck to him.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Darren Collison Retires

Postby Beefi on Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:39 pm

The whole Jehovah's witness thing really came out of left-field.
Beefi

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:11 pm

You know, I'm surprised this type of thing doesn't happen more often (players leaving the game on their own volition for reasons other than injury, age, etc); good for him.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Q] on Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:25 am

Beefi wrote:The whole Jehovah's witness thing really came out of left-field.

Jeremy Lin has always been open about his religiousness and had often claimed he would've taken a job with the church had he not been in the NBA. I could see him doing something like this too
cavs4872 wrote:You know, I'm surprised this type of thing doesn't happen more often (players leaving the game on their own volition for reasons other than injury, age, etc); good for him.

Might as well make as much money while you still can. It's not like it's a terribly dangerous sport, unlike football where players are constantly retiring now due to concussion concerns. There were a few that retired to join the military
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:48 pm

I think Lin will still keep playing as long as his body doesn’t fall apart completely from his injury issues.
He’s competitive, enough to have a beef with Kobe when they were teammates and to think Kobe hasn’t called him out publicly like he did with Smush Parker, guess Kobe recognizes that Lin does have some skill unlike his opinion of Smush.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby NovU on Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:26 pm

Lin is a good-to-have guy in all essence. Positive locker room presence and a solid back up point guard. If it wasn't for Vanvleet, I am sure Lin would have much noise in the final in more good ways than not.

Speaking of Darren Collison, he was supposed to be a cheap and affordable target for the Lakers. Too bad we won't see a capable PG in the league no more but best of luck to his journey.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:22 pm

[Q] wrote:Might as well make as much money while you still can. It's not like it's a terribly dangerous sport, unlike football where players are constantly retiring now due to concussion concerns. There were a few that retired to join the military

When the military feels like a safer vocation, it's a sign that new and changing concussion policies are a good thing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:19 am

shadowgrin wrote:I think Lin will still keep playing as long as his body doesn’t fall apart completely from his injury issues.
He’s competitive, enough to have a beef with Kobe when they were teammates and to think Kobe hasn’t called him out publicly like he did with Smush Parker, guess Kobe recognizes that Lin does have some skill unlike his opinion of Smush.

Kobe has to respect a guy who dropped 38 pts and 7 asts on him in the dude's 3rd NBA start
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:35 am

Linsanity was a lot of fun while it lasted.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball