Knicks trade Porzingis to Mavericks

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Knicks trade Porzingis to Mavericks

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:29 pm

Mavericks make trade for Knicks' Kristaps Porzingis

The deal, which was made official on Thursday afternoon, includes seven players in total. The Mavericks will receive Porzingis, Tin Hardaway Jr., Trey Burke and Courtney Lee. The Knicks will receive Dennis Smith Jr., DeAndre Jordan and Wesley Matthews, along with two future first round draft picks.

Obviously, a great move for the Mavericks. Porzingas is coming off a major injury, but there's no question that he's extremely talented. They've also shed the players who were trying to freeze out Luka Doncic, which sets them on a much better path as far as rebuilding is concerned.

As for the Knicks...well, I guess their hand was somewhat forced since Porzingas had indicated to them that he wanted out, but still. GM Scott Perry may be "confident (it) improves the franchise", but I'm not sure if many Knicks fans will be buying that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Knicks trade Porzingas to Mavericks

Postby Phil89 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:35 pm

The only way this is a good move for the Knicks is if they already know that one or more of Durant, Kawhi, Kyrie, Klay, Kemba, Cousins or Butler wants to join them next season.

Otherwise they have just traded the face of their franchise for speculative cap space.

Mavs look like big winners in this trade, but they only have 2 first round picks in the next 5 drafts now. Bit of a risky strategy if Doncic and Porzingis don't make them a playoff contender.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:09 pm

They could possibly have over $70 million in cap space next year, which would give them a shot at two max players. The trade makes sense in that respect, but it's putting a lot of faith in being able to land one or two of those big names. It's giving up a proven talent for the possibility of bringing in a superstar; all well and good if it comes to be, but it remains to be seen.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby volsey on Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:45 pm

Wow, honestly good deal for both teams. Dallas is looking like they could be a fun team to watch. Knicks, well, too bad they had to ship the bigman out.
volsey

Postby Murat on Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:14 pm

How does Porzingis' legs doing? If they are fucked up so bad, maybe Knicks is a winner in this deal as they unloaded 2 big useless contracts. Yes, THJ scores well, but not worth the contract. Courtney Lee was a bit rusty. Also Trey Burke was playing well compared to his previous NBA stints.

There are rumors that DeAndre Jordan would make a buyout, which makes Knicks big rotation pretty much same before the trade.

Maybe Knicks plans to pick a star from draft and acquire some superstars in FA. For that goal, this trade is valid. However in 2010 Knicks made similar moves to acquire LeBron, then watched him fire up the East with Miami Heat. They could only sign Raymond Felton as "replacement".

On the other side, Dallas traded the players that could not perfectly fit with the next big European thing Doncic.

This seems like a win-win trade.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mp3 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:31 pm

Iam lost for words honestly I am but after taking the night to take it all in I am happy that the Knicks didn't drag this out, KP said he wasn't happy and would rather be traded but this has been boiling since KP missed that exit meeting, he wasn't to happy when we traded his best mate Willy to the Hornets and I honestly believe that he had no plan on resigning with the knicks.

Looking bad on it his body language hasn't been that great either and his comments about not winning games are a little tough when your best player isn't playing and you have loads of injuries in what everyone knew was a rebuilding year anyway but going back to the front office, if it was clear that KP didn't want to be there then you have no choice but to trade him, think we could of done better than DSJ and 3 draft picks as Jordan and Mathews might be waived but looking how much cap space we have and our 1st round pick hopefully we can land two big name free agents and of course we got rid of Brick layer Timmy too.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby air gordon on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:23 am

volsey wrote:Wow, honestly good deal for both teams. Dallas is looking like they could be a fun team to watch. Knicks, well, too bad they had to ship the bigman out.

i agree. those Dallas picks are unprotected. good on KP/knicks organization avoiding this turning into a Anthony Davis type situation.

DSJ does have his warts but that athleticism and being freed of hard ass carlisle/ put in situation where he is the PG does give reasons for some optimism
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:14 am

the Knicks get to (kinda) undo their mistake of Frank over DSJ lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:38 am

As more info is coming to light it appears that KP went straight into the meeting wanting out, the meeting was said to be just 5 minutes long... WTF ?!?! He really must of gone off
mp3

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:14 am

mp3 wrote:As more info is coming to light it appears that KP went straight into the meeting wanting out, the meeting was said to be just 5 minutes long... WTF ?!?! He really must of gone off

Honestly, good move by the Knicks... I truly believe that.

The cap space they will have in the offseason will be massive, and if they can swing and score a homerun on two big names, and get Zion, all will be forgotten and the Knicks will be praised again. Porzingis being 7'3" coming off of an ACL injury like that, who knows what Dallas is getting. Yes, at full health he's an all-star, but his health status will need to be monitored for some time.

If they swing and score KD and Kyrie (Absolutely possible), or KD and another all-star, they will have won this trade and the fans will be happy again (Or should I say... finally).
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Murat on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:18 am

Fans would be happy again since Linsanity. Hope it turns out well.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:32 am

The NBA has a lot to look forward to in the coming years if Luka/Kristaps become a tandem, the Dubs break up, etc.
[Hyperize]

Re: Knicks trade Porzingis to Mavericks

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:19 pm

It does remain to be seen how Porzingas will play following his knee injury. Sports medicine has come a long way and we've seen players bounce back after injuries, but that's often taken some time, and plenty of careers have been derailed permanently or prematurely ended.

As far as Porzingas wanting out, I've seen suggestions that the situation with Phil Jackson a couple of years back really soured him on the organisation. He was booed on Draft day as well, so maybe he never truly felt embraced by the fans. Given how dysfunctional the front office is, it's not surprising that a player would want out. After all, he'd be even more aware of it than the rest of us, and dealing with it on a regular basis.

With that being said, that Tweet he posted probably was somewhat ill-advised to say the least. Thanking the fans and the organisation first and foremost as you move on tends to be the classy move and the done thing, especially amid reports that you were asking to be traded. It is what it is and he's entitled to express himself as he wishes - freedom of speech and all that - but if you don't handle a situation as well as you could, you can expect to cop some flak.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Knicks trade Porzingis to Mavericks

Postby mp3 on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:32 am

Knicks fans boo every player drafted in the lottery, it's stupid but it's what they do. Not me tho lol

Looking back on situations like how Phil handled the Melo thing the losing even the Kanter thing KP has always had issues with management so if he doesn't want to be there then Iam hurt but I understand and move on, we have a history of sucking I understand he doesn't want to be part of it but I would of liked to see what he, Knox and our draft pick could of done
mp3

Return to NBA & Basketball