Did you know Rodney Rogers scored 9 points in 9 seconds when he was a rookie?

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Did you know Rodney Rogers scored 9 points in 9 seconds when he was a rookie?

Postby dwayne2005 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:49 am

The game was one of the weekly features of NBA Action back in the day, so yes... I saw the half a game or whatever they showed back then. Had the priveledge of not having spoilers. They lost, so it ultimately didn't matter. Of course, if he played the full game like that he'd have finished with 2,880 points... maybe a little less because the clock started after he scored the first basket. Sadly, he turned out to be just an ordinary player. Just got lucky.
dwayne2005

Re: Did you know Rodney Rogers scored 9 points in 9 seconds when he was a rookie?

Postby Lamrock on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:58 pm

dwayne2005 wrote:Sadly, he turned out to be just an ordinary player.

Worse than that, he was paralyzed from the shoulder down in a dirt bike accident a few years back. Couldn't imagine going from being a professional athlete to that.
Lamrock

Postby dwayne2005 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:47 pm

I didn't realize that. It seems a bit insensitive being so petty now. But he has since had children and runs businesses, so he seems to be doing as well as he could.
dwayne2005

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:49 pm

I certainly remember that. It flies under the radar because as noted, they still came up short, but it was still a tremendous effort.

As far as him being an ordinary player...I mean, sure, but he was a solid rotation player for many years, making for a respectably successful career when it's all said and done. He didn't really have any moments to rival that, but it was an exceptional and unusual sequence that is rare for even the best ever to pull off, so there's nothing really unfortunate about it (except perhaps that it didn't result in the win, as it would obviously be a more famous moment if he did). The true misfortune is that he suffered that life-altering injury after his 12-year career had concluded.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball