The defense overall is terrible this year - On the league, not the players

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: The defense overall is terrible this year - On the league, not the players

Postby [Q] on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:51 am

The pace being up makes sense. I've seen quite a few games especially the Lakers games where it's like 7 seconds or less where both teams are just trying to score as quickly as possible, even if it means turning the ball over
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 13289
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: The defense overall is terrible this year - On the league, not the players

Postby debiler on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:10 pm

[Q] wrote:Oh for sure you got kids that grew up watching Curry jack up 3s and they want to be just like him.


Anybody think that there might be an off chance of some kid, somewhere, growing up thinking: "I'm gonna stop guys like him."

This was always my motivation. I used to play soccer and basketball for most of my life. I always took pride in being a tough mother to beat. I knew there are guys way more creative and skilled than me on the other side of the court. At 5'10'', I'm not gonna stop big guys consistently. I'd be ashamed if I didn't try anyway, though. But lately, whenever I fight for position or cut my opponent off on his way to the rim, they'll call foul on me. That's what really bugs me about the NBA lately: kids learning just one dimension of the game, taking dumb shots, gambling on D, waiting for somebody to blow the whistle if you touch them. I'm turning 39 tomorrow, btw. It's ridiculous: gramps stops a guy half his age from getting to the hoop by playing smart, focused and experienced defense - and they call foul when they plow through my chest shoulder first and miss the layup. They even dare call me out for fouling intentionally. They tell me I have no skills because I don't jack up 3s in peoples' faces and I don't ankle break my defender instead of passing it to my wide open teammate. It's disrespectful not only towards me, but towards the game. Appreciate the game, you sissies.

Rant over. I just realized - I'm that old guy now.
Confucius say: "Man go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger."
User avatar
debiler
 
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:35 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Re: The defense overall is terrible this year - On the league, not the players

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:40 pm

Possibly. Right now, it seems everyone's trying to emulate him and what the Warriors are doing, but they're tough to beat at their own game. Eventually, someone who's adept at scoring in the post is going to recognise that the soft defense and soft foul calls would let a traditional big be a monster down low, and we're going to see another mini-revolution where teams realise they've been so focused on the perimeter, they've forgotten about the interior. If Shaq were in his prime and playing today, he'd been even more ridiculously dominant.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator
 
Posts: 106055
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: The defense overall is terrible this year - On the league, not the players

Postby debiler on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:58 pm

Andrew wrote:If Shaq were in his prime and playing today, he'd been even more ridiculously dominant.


Yeah, and he'd foul out after 10 minutes, because people would just crash into him all the time.
Confucius say: "Man go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger."
User avatar
debiler
 
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:35 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Re: The defense overall is terrible this year - On the league, not the players

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:07 pm

With the way they're favouring offensive players these days, he might get some of the calls he didn't when he played because he absorbed so much punishment because of his size.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator
 
Posts: 106055
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: The defense overall is terrible this year - On the league, not the players

Postby debiler on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:42 pm

Andrew wrote:With the way they're favouring offensive players these days, he might get some of the calls he didn't when he played because he absorbed so much punishment because of his size.

I bet we'd see even more of his coast-to-coast runs. Man, I loved Shaq. Nowadays, my opinion of him is a bit warped because of the way he presents himself on TNT from time to time. Then again, the man used to bully people on the court, too. Why would that change?
Confucius say: "Man go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger."
User avatar
debiler
 
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:35 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Re: The defense overall is terrible this year - On the league, not the players

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:51 pm

Hell of a player. Forgettable analyst.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator
 
Posts: 106055
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: The defense overall is terrible this year - On the league, not the players

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:07 am

debiler wrote:
[Q] wrote:Oh for sure you got kids that grew up watching Curry jack up 3s and they want to be just like him.


Anybody think that there might be an off chance of some kid, somewhere, growing up thinking: "I'm gonna stop guys like him."

This was always my motivation. I used to play soccer and basketball for most of my life. I always took pride in being a tough mother to beat. I knew there are guys way more creative and skilled than me on the other side of the court. At 5'10'', I'm not gonna stop big guys consistently. I'd be ashamed if I didn't try anyway, though. But lately, whenever I fight for position or cut my opponent off on his way to the rim, they'll call foul on me. That's what really bugs me about the NBA lately: kids learning just one dimension of the game, taking dumb shots, gambling on D, waiting for somebody to blow the whistle if you touch them. I'm turning 39 tomorrow, btw. It's ridiculous: gramps stops a guy half his age from getting to the hoop by playing smart, focused and experienced defense - and they call foul when they plow through my chest shoulder first and miss the layup. They even dare call me out for fouling intentionally. They tell me I have no skills because I don't jack up 3s in peoples' faces and I don't ankle break my defender instead of passing it to my wide open teammate. It's disrespectful not only towards me, but towards the game. Appreciate the game, you sissies.

Rant over. I just realized - I'm that old guy now.

Man, i don't play much anymore, but when I do the thing that I always have is my defense. My shot may be off but I'll never forget my love for playing good defense.
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 13289
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: The defense overall is terrible this year - On the league, not the players

Postby air gordon on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:32 am

D- sounds like you need to find another gym or league to play in. much love for the gramps/defense
Derrick is a legend, no matter what. I don’t like how you explained that
Jabari Parker in response to a reporter asking him to comment on Derrick Rose's "fall from grace"
User avatar
air gordon
 
Posts: 7606
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:06 pm
Location: windy city

Re: The defense overall is terrible this year - On the league, not the players

Postby debiler on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:41 am

Yeah, sometimes I feel like a milky white half-size Charles Oakley out there...
Confucius say: "Man go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger."
User avatar
debiler
 
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:35 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests