Jimmy Butler requests trade

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Jimmy Butler requests trade

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:41 am

With the season tipping off next week, he's either going to have to suck it up and play while the Timberwolves find a willing trade partner (and probably take cents on the dollar because teams are growing leery of him), or maybe Thibs does the unthinkable and benches him/banishes him from the team until a deal can be made. At this juncture, it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up sitting out.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby cavs4872 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:27 am

Did he request a trade from the Bulls in the first place, or did they blow it up? Like what is the difference between Minnesota and Miami talent-wise? They're both mid-tier.

Either way, I've never really thought much of the guy, and the fact his Wikipedia page says he's a fan of country music lets me know he's not my type of guy. :lol:
cavs4872
All I Do is Ball

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:46 am

The Bulls were blowing up the roster, but the relationship had been strained in the lead up to the deal being made. I can't remember him asking for a trade from Chicago; in fact if I recall correctly, there was a bit of a flap because they said they weren't trading him, and then started shopping him around (and ultimately pulled the trigger on the deal with Minnesota).
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:50 pm

cavs4872 wrote:Butler literally becoming one of those Playground noobs, putting the mic on and yelling at his teammates.

But unlike the trash ass noobs in playground Butler dominated that practice session on both ends carrying his noob squad to a win, even locking down the Wolves 7-foot franchise player.

If you're that good, you're allowed to yell at the starters for being trash.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby air gordon on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:49 am

butler apparently has to show up to the games or he'll start losing money/ can effect future contracts. doesn't seem like Butler would fake injury while he waits the situation out
Derrick is a legend, no matter what. I don’t like how you explained that
Jabari Parker in response to a reporter asking him to comment on Derrick Rose's "fall from grace"
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:16 am

He's also openly inviting Timberwolves fans to boo him.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby cavs4872 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:00 am

There's the potential this creates some odd dysfunction that helps them do better than usual.
cavs4872
All I Do is Ball

Postby [Q] on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:54 am

Looks like Thibs' plan worked. The "oh darn, we ran out of time looking for a trade for you" excuse actually worked, especially when they reneged on an agreement with Miami lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Wolves need to keep Thibs for at least one more season just for pissing off Pat Riley. Thibs did good there.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:29 pm

KG chimes in, doesn't mince words when it comes to Glen Taylor.

“I totally understand him,” Garnett said of Butler. “I totally get it. And he’s dealing with Glen, who doesn’t know s— about basketball.

“He knows how to make money, but he don’t know anything about basketball.”

While he blasted Taylor Tuesday, that doesn’t mean he let Butler off the hook for belittling his teammates and airing dirty laundry in public.

“I understand what he’s trying to do,” Garnett said. “Just the way he’s going about it might not be the best way to me.

“I feel him. I understand him. I know he’s passionate. But just the way he’s doing it, I’m not feeling that.”

He also referred to Butler as an “A-minus player in our league,” a guy who can make a team better, but not a “super superstar.” He sympathized with the position of the Timberwolves and the idea that they’re not getting enough in return in trade talks for Butler.

He obviously has an axe to grind when it comes to Glen Taylor, and given his past remarks, it's not surprising. Given Thibs seems to have been given carte blanche to call the shots here, though, it seems like this is more about KG's grudge than a relevant appraisal of how the front office is handling the situation. It doesn't mean he's necessarily wrong, and I'd say he's got a valid point about Butler as well, but still.

In fact, this whole situation is a series of people who have a valid point and understandable motivations, but are still handling things badly. Butler's criticism of Towns and Wiggins isn't inaccurate, but he's still being rather petulant and not showing a lot of leadership. Thibs has a valid point about not wanting to lose Butler for less than fair market value (or at all, if he can help it), but he's playing with fire sabotaging the trade of a disgruntled star player, and not building a great reputation with opposing front offices in the process. KG has a valid point about Butler and may well be right about owner Glen Taylor, but also seems to be using the situation to fire off a salvo related to a long-standing grudge. It just goes to show that having a point and being a jerk (or at least a bit childish) aren't mutually exclusive, and that one doesn't cancel out the other.

Looks like I was wrong about Butler sitting out or being benched, but I have to imagine he's gone by the deadline unless there's some drastic/miraculous turn of events that leaves everyone feeling happy and on the same page.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby spiderxx7 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:40 am

I would love to see him in Miami or NY.
spiderxx7
Friendly neighborhood

Postby Jackie Kong on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:24 am

It seems like Butler informed TWolves he wont play for them again. I didn't know players could do that. Something similar might have happened with Leonard in San Antonio though.
Jackie Kong

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:27 pm

They can, though not without facing some kind of repercussions (forfeiting pay at the very least). It's not a great way of handling your business, and while it will force the Timberwolves' hand, his reputation may be damaged beyond repair at this point. For all his talents, he's not a leader nor a franchise player.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball