Is this it for Manu?

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Will Manu play one more season?

Yes
40%
No
60%
I'm bringing him back in MyLEAGUE
No votes

Total votes : 5

Is this it for Manu?

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:27 am

Definitely could be. As per Woj: After 16 seasons, Spurs' Manu Ginobili seriously considering retirement

San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili, a future Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer, is seriously considering retirement and plans to meet with coach Gregg Popovich in the coming days to discuss his future, league sources told ESPN.

Ginobili, 41, has been working out regularly at the Spurs practice facility and hasn't made a final decision on the coming season, but sources say that he's strongly confronting the possible end to an historic 16-season run with the Spurs that includes four NBA championships.

Popovich is traveling back to San Antonio from Europe, where he recently participated in the league's Basketball Without Borders event in Belgrade. The Spurs are hopeful that Ginobili will want to return for a 17th NBA season and are allowing him to take all the time he needs to make a decision, league sources said.

Ginobili has one year left on his contract, worth $2.5 million.

Come on, one more year! One more year!

In all seriousness, if this is it for Ginobili, that's more than fair enough, and what a fine career he's had! One of the best to ever accept basically being a career sixth man, and to that end, he probably should've won Sixth Man of the Year at least a couple more times during his career. Finishing his career as a Spur only seems appropriate; kind of a shame Tony Parker likely won't now.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Is this it for Manu?

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:03 am

No Timmy, no TP, i guess it's over :(
sticky-fingers

Postby Breems on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:17 am

It's been hard to say goodbye to the Duncan/Parker/Ginobli era. Always loved watching Ginobli weave his way through the defense.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby JuicyShaqMeat on Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:34 pm

I think the Spurs are more than willing to give him the best situation for his overall happiness, given their history of player treatment. With Derozan and Aldridge now leading the charge towards playoff contention, the squad can finally let Manu go.
Thank you Kobe!

Until 2020, I made NBA 2K11 patches including jerseys, courts, logos and classic teams.

My YouTube channel | Pistons Association story - 2K11
JuicyShaqMeat
I want that

Postby koberulz on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:33 am

koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby JuicyShaqMeat on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:48 am

https://www.nba.com/spurs/manu-ginobili ... retirement

MANU GINOBILI ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT
Four-Time NBA Champion Concludes 16-Year Career in San Antonio

Matt Schad, Sr. Digital Developer
Posted: Aug 27, 2018

SAN ANTONIO (August 27, 2018) – San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili today announced that he will retire after a 23-year professional career.

In 16 seasons with the Spurs, Ginobili captured four NBA championships while posting a career winning percentage of .721 (762-295), which is the best winning percentage in NBA history among players who have appeared in at least 1,000 games.

Ginobili, who was selected by San Antonio with the 57th overall pick in the 1999 NBA Draft, appeared in 1,057 career games, averaging 13.3 points, 3.8 assists, 3.5 rebounds and 1.32 steals in 25.4 minutes. He is the Spurs all-time leader in three-pointers made (1,495) and steals (1,392), while ranking third in games played (1,057), fourth in assists (4,001), fourth in free throws made (3,380) and fifth in points (14,043). Ginobili was named to the All-NBA Third Team in both 2008 and 2011 and was a two-time All-Star (2005 and 2011). The 2008 NBA Sixth Man of the Year is the first sixth man, as well as the first South American, to earn All-NBA honors.

The four-time NBA champion appeared in 218 career playoff games, averaging 14.0 points, 4.0 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.34 steals in 27.9 minutes. Ginobili and LeBron James are the only two players in NBA postseason history with at least 3,000 points and 300 three-pointers in the playoffs. One of 10 players ever to appear in over 200 playoff games, he came off the bench 165 times and is the all-time leader in NBA postseason history as a reserve in points (2,014), assists (576), rebounds (635), steals (205), field goals made (630), three-pointers made (226) and free throws made (528). Ginobili and teammate Tony Parker combined to record 132 playoff wins together, which is the most victories by any duo in postseason history.

Ginobili is one of just seven players in NBA history to spend his entire career with one team while playing at least 16 seasons, along with Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, John Havlicek, Reggie Miller, Dirk Nowitzki and John Stockton. He is the first South American and just the second player drafted in the second round or later to appear in at least 1,000 games with one team.

Before signing with the Spurs in the summer of 2002, Ginobili played professionally in Argentina and Italy. He was named the 2001 EuroLeague MVP after leading Virtus Bologna to the EuroLeague Championship. In addition, Ginobili was named the Italian League MVP in both 2000–01 and 2001–02.

Ginobili played for the Argentinian National Team from 1998 to 2016, leading his home country to the gold medal at the 2004 Olympics, a silver medal in the 2002 FIBA World Championship and a bronze medal at the 2008 Olympics. Ginobili is one of only two players in history, along with Bill Bradley, to win a EuroLeague title, an NBA championship and an Olympic gold medal.

He just might be the first Hall of Famer that I watched the entirety of his career from beginning to end. Even though it was upsetting to see "Obi-Wan Ginobili" torch the Pistons back in the '05 finals, he gained my respect through his selflessness in accepting the role of sixth man and dedication in remaining with one team.

Happy retirement, Manu!
Thank you Kobe!

Until 2020, I made NBA 2K11 patches including jerseys, courts, logos and classic teams.

My YouTube channel | Pistons Association story - 2K11
JuicyShaqMeat
I want that

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:44 am

He certainly made his mark; I wasn't aware that he held some of those records and statistical distinctions. Congratulations Manu on a fantastic career! It felt like it was just going to keep on going year after year, but all good things must come to an end.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:02 pm

Tony Parker, go have a last run my friend before the ship fully sinks. :( Great career for Manu, can't wait to see him in the HoF.
I Hate Mondays

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:57 pm

From r/nba, a great tribute by OKC fan : https://www.instagram.com/p/BnD5Kz0nJdd/
sticky-fingers

Postby Axel on Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:41 am

One of the best of his generation. I can't think of any SG's from the 2000s better than him other than Kobe & Wade. He might have played off the bench all the time but he was always in the lineup at crunch time and just made great basketball plays. One of those guys who was always in the right place at the right time, a superb passer, solid defensively, and a good shooter.
Axel

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:42 am

Tracy McGrady (depending on what position we're calling him)?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:52 pm

The other day some fool on Reddit went off on me because I said T-Mac was same or maybe even better than Kobe for a bit back when they were perhaps the best guards in the game. But a lot of people just remember Houston T-Mac. Orlando T-Mac was a bad, bad man.
Jackal

Return to NBA & Basketball