Lakers Unveil New Jerseys

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Lakers Unveil New Jerseys

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:07 pm

Story @ SportsLogos.net.

The shape of the collar and jersey in general returns to a more traditional basketball cut, with that the Lakers return to two colour striping around the sleeves and collar.

The stripes up the sides have been removed entirely on the golds and whites, again less clutter and much more clean; the purple uniform adds a black stripe up the side (why?!) flanked with two thin gold and white stripes.

The retro-inspired look for the gold and white jerseys is fine, but the black looks really out of place on the purple jersey.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Lakers Unveil New Jerseys

Postby [Q] on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:48 pm

No, just no to the purple one. The stripe looks odd, especially with it being the only jersey with it. The gold numbers looks weird. Should be white numbers.

Luckily the purple ones are the statement jerseys so I guess we won't see them much, as evidenced by last year.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Breems on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:05 pm

Got a rush of nostalgia looking at those. I think I need to see the purple one on someone before I decide on it. Looks odd in that picture.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:33 pm

Lonzo in the Statement jersey.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 pm

:lol: What's the point of adding a black stripe on the side of the purple jerseys? I'd totally get it if it's gold with white outlines, and if the two other jerseys have the same elements on the side of their jerseys. It's like the designer left the layer of the stripes for the purple jerseys in Photoshop and forgot to remove it from the other jerseys.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Breems on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:13 am

Yeah, doesn't look much better on. It's not awful or blinding but definitely an eyesore.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:10 am

If nothing else, it feels out of place when the other jerseys don't have something similar.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby PeacemanNOT on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:54 am

I noticed something with the new Lakers jerseys, they've actually fixed the back of the jersey so it doesn't cut off on the back. Maybe they fixed all the other jerseys in the league too. It was a huge complaint that people had, here's some examples of the fix:

Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby Lean on Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:07 pm

That sleeve trim cut at the back definitely irked me because the sleeves felt incomplete. I think Nike went with that template so that longer names can be written on the back without arching it the way Kareem's name was arched.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:21 pm

I think that's an error by the manufacturer. Or it's how they made the swingman (not authentic) jerseys.

All the pictures the Lakers posted show the trim cut off as usual
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby PeacemanNOT on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:11 pm

[Q] wrote:I think that's an error by the manufacturer. Or it's how they made the swingman (not authentic) jerseys.

All the pictures the Lakers posted show the trim cut off as usual

Yeah on second look seems like you're right. Altough with the statement jerseys I'm not entirely sure. I can't find an angle looking at the back of the jersey.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby [Q] on Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:38 am

I think you do have stripes going down the back but not in the black area under the arm
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:07 am

Screw Nike and the Lakers for allowing this bullshit they've pulled with the jerseys. As everyone mentioned; the black stripe is atrocious.

What's even more fucked is Nike has basically made the yellow (not even gold) their away jerseys, whites their home jerseys and the purple an alternate. If I recall correctly I read somewhere they wore the purple jerseys 8 times total last year.

The whole move to Nike has been a failure for me. Stupid idea to have icon/statement/whatever else they've branded the jerseys as. They haven't gotten the yellow right either and the fact the Lakers are just like any other team with a must-wear white jersey when that jersey was specific for Chick just makes me dislike Nike jerseys even more.

Also; it's been a year and I still don't like the advertising patches. The jerseys used to be so clean. Fuck Wish too.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:06 am

Yeah it's annoying that they just completely ignored that we were the only team who wore a non white color at home and said fuck you
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:51 am

I'm also disappointed in how the Nike jerseys have turned out on the whole, not to mention the new designations. I was glad to see the end of sleeved jerseys, but Nike nevertheless had a "hold my beer" moment with their ideas.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:29 pm

Things would have been a lot easier if they just refer to them as home and away, with the home ones being the light jerseys and the away ones the dark jerseys. This whole icon/association/city/statement shit is just... shit.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:54 pm

Absolutely. The lack of consistency also bothers me, since teams are free to decide which ones they want to designate as their primary home and away uniforms. It's just felt like an overzealous attempt for Nike and Adam Silver to put their stamp on the league with a big "innovative" change that was wholly unnecessary.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball