Malice at the Palace 2: Australia vs Philippines

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Malice at the Palace 2: Australia vs Philippines

Postby koberulz on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:51 am

Australia just won its world cup qualifier in the Philippines by default after 9 Filipino players were ejected as the result of a bench-clearing brawl. The game continued 3 vs 5 with two Filipino players intentionally fouling out - and Australia deliberately bricking the resulting free-throws - to get the game called off.

Four Aussies were also ejected, including Milwaukee's Thon Maker.

phpBB [video]

The Philippines were classy during a lengthy referee review of the incident:

https://twitter.com/JohnCasey2880/status/1013771267630030848

https://twitter.com/rickm18/status/1013768593077440513

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/aussie-boomers-vs-philippines-live-coverage-fiba-world-cup-asian-qualifiers/news-story/830fc9afc7d39ad5acc93bd05a3ed7ba
Last edited by koberulz on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Re: Malice at the Palace 2: Australia vs Philippines

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:56 am

Disgraceful scenes with coward punches all over the place. Not surprised to see Andray Blatche in the thick of things.

Opting to continue the game when it was 5v3 was an absolute farce. It shouldn't have come down to a foul out to forfeit situation. Should've been called off half an hour before that.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:06 am

Edited the OP to include a YouTube video of the incident.
koberulz

Postby koberulz on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:07 am

Andrew wrote:Disgraceful scenes with coward punches all over the place.
My favourite one is Romeo punching Maker in the back of the head and then immediately dashing to hide behind Sobey in the corner.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:28 am

Indeed. Cheap shot.

Of course, a lot of those punches reinforced the fact that these guys are basketball players, not boxers. In the aftermath of the chaos, I did enjoy Shane Heal's quip about players deserving bans for throwing such weak punches alone.
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:30 am

koberulz

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:41 am

I see a lot of people saying Kickert started it, and he does share in some responsibility with that elbow he threw. However, it was the cheap foul on Goulding that really started things.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:03 am

I'm pretty happy saying Kicks started it and the Filipino bench emptying escalated it.

The foul on Goulding was worthy of the USF it got, but hardly anything worse.
koberulz

Postby Lean on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:18 am

Ugh, this is disgusting.

I see the Philippine team being banned from FIBA again. I kept on making points on social media that no one on the team should've retaliated, but so many fools were blinded by the false patriotism called "Pinoy Pride."
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:22 am

koberulz wrote:I'm pretty happy saying Kicks started it and the Filipino bench emptying escalated it.

The foul on Goulding was worthy of the USF it got, but hardly anything worse.

Fair call.

A bad look for basketball at the end of the day.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:32 am

Indeed. And it may lead to several players being banned from playing in FIBA.

Some of the Philippine team's coaching staff were reportedly involved in the scuffle as well.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:37 am

The people on the sidelines who got involved, were they just fans, or local pro players? That's when it really started getting ugly, when it wasn't just the players from each team.

I'm definitely expecting some harsh penalties to be handed out.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:41 am

The grey shirt punching Sobey in the image above was on the Philippines bench.
koberulz

Postby Lean on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:44 am

The one who hit Sobey is a member of the team who was not activated to play. I think that happened when Sobey got dropped with a chair on his head. I think Pogoy should have been benched after he was hit in the face first so that he could cool himself down, that incident would have been prevented.

I love how some of my former students respond to my comments saying that I should be shipped to Australia, and I shouldn't have been embarrassed about what happened. :lol:
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby JuicyShaqMeat on Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:17 am

As a Filipino who's crazy in love with basketball, this is exactly why I can never follow the local scene.
Formerly known as experiment626. I make NBA 2K11 patches including jerseys, courts, logos and classic teams.

I'm currently taking a break from modding since August 10, 2018, so I started a 2K11 Association story for the Pistons: Visit here

Also, check out my YouTube channel
JuicyShaqMeat
No to Drugs, Yes to Sports Games

Postby dare on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:37 am

There are reports that Kickert started it during the warm ups, obviously both sides have different stories but the refs could have prevented this to happen. They failed to control this game.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Stress Fracture on Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:16 pm

dare wrote:There are reports that Kickert started it during the warm ups, obviously both sides have different stories but the refs could have prevented this to happen. They failed to control this game.

Racial slurs were also said by some of the Australians.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture
In James I Trust

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:55 pm

Lean wrote:I kept on making points on social media that no one on the team should've retaliated, but so many fools were blinded by the false patriotism called "Pinoy Pride."

I'm seeing a lot of comments on the Basketball Australia Facebook page that Australians should watch their backs, and should've been made to leave the arena in wheelchairs.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:08 pm

Not surprised with how Filipinos behaved on social media. :lol: When Jeff Horn beat Manny Pacquiao last year, Filipinos swarmed Horn's Facebook profile and sent him messages, calling him a cheater.

Again, both sides are at fault. It shouldn't have gotten worse.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:14 pm

Indeed, it was an ugly scene. I still think it's ridiculous that the referees took that long to come to a decision, and that they tried to have them play 5v3. Even if there had been enough for 5v5, there's no way it could've continued with that kind of tension. Next hard foul would've erupted into more chaos.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:09 pm

...and here we go!

phpBB [video]
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:48 pm

Get rekd.
You don't go into a man's house and ruin it without permission like Australia did.

Not yet proven if there was indeed racial taunting by the Aussies during warm-ups so I won't even consider that for now.

The only thing that's true right now is the Australian team had the FIBA approved court decals removed for supposed safety reasons during their practice without permission from the host country or FIBA.

Philippine players took it as an insult. Can't blame them if they mistook someone destroying their homecourt as an insult.
The sponsor decal removed also happens to be a company owned by the team CEO/patron, and he's revered by the teams he sponsors, he's like the godfather of Philippine sports right now for funding most of it.

Australian team officials did apologize for removing the decals but only after the basketbrawl, still too late.

It was just an all around shitshow from everybody.

Australia destroying the decals with no permission or notice given, they might as well have spit on the center circle during a game for what they did.
Philippine players being idiots for that all out brawl.
Home organizers not providing enough security for the venue.
FIBA officials not having control of the game and allowing that farcical game to continue.

Can't wait for the findings of the FIBA investigstion so Lean can have that permanent Australian vacation.
Last edited by shadowgrin on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:07 pm

That Ozzy Man review :lol:

I like how the Filipino players behaved well when Luc Longley was stopping the fight from happening in midcourt and the one behind the basket stand. Clearly the late 90s Bulls team is still popular with Filipinos.
That chair throw only happened because Longley's back was turned.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Lean on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:43 pm

I finally get to meet up with Andrew when I get shipped.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Stress Fracture on Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:13 am

Andrew wrote:Indeed, it was an ugly scene. I still think it's ridiculous that the referees took that long to come to a decision, and that they tried to have them play 5v3. Even if there had been enough for 5v5, there's no way it could've continued with that kind of tension. Next hard foul would've erupted into more chaos.

FIBA rules say that the game shall continue until only one player remains. Bizarre rule, to say the least.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture
In James I Trust

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball