Becky Hammon to interview for Bucks' coaching job

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Becky Hammon to interview for Bucks' coaching job

Postby Andrew on Sat May 05, 2018 10:22 pm

Bucks HC Rumors: Spurs' Becky Hammon, James Borrego to Interview for Open Job

San Antonio Spurs assistant Becky Hammon will reportedly interview with the Milwaukee Bucks to fill their head coaching vacancy.

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN reported the update Friday and noted Hammon is set to become the first female to interview to be an NBA head coach.

Fellow Spurs assistant James Borrego is also being added to the Bucks' group of interviewees, per Wojnarowski.

Once she got the Spurs job, I had a feeling she was on track to being the NBA's first female head coach. I didn't think it would be so soon, but she's well-regarded as a coach with a ringing endorsement from Gregg Popovich, so there's a good chance she'll make history with the Bucks.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Becky Hammon to interview for Bucks' coaching job

Postby Jackie Kong on Sun May 06, 2018 12:49 am

Bucks are interviewing lot of people though. I have a feeling they will go with Messina.
Mike Budenholzer is also in the market.
Jackie Kong

Postby [Q] on Sun May 06, 2018 1:26 am

It would be a good first job for her with plenty of individual talent on the team. Beats going to a lottery team not going anywhere and getting fired in 2 years
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Wed May 09, 2018 4:46 am

I agree with this article, in regards to Hammon.

http://www.businessinsider.com/becky-hammon-qualified-to-be-nba-head-coach-2018-5

If these are things required to be a head coach in the NBA, then Hammon is not ready. But it takes a lot of qualifiers to make this argument.

Hammon did play professional basketball as a point guard and at a high level, but because it was in the WNBA and not the NBA, she does not meet the standards. Hammon has served as a head coach for the Spurs' Summer League team — where she won a championship— and during the preseason, but apparently, that is not deemed "meaningful." And why the magic number of "5 years" for assistant coaching experience? Presumably it is because Hammon has four.

The final point also ignores that Hammon's four years were under Gregg Popovich, arguably the best coach in the NBA, and doesn't consider that four years under Pop might be the equivalent of five or ten years under other head coaches.

The excerpt above is taking a shot at some of the reasons why people have said that Hammon is not qualified, and they are quite silly. Including stating that she played in the WNBA, not the NBA... meaning she is not qualified.

Spoelstra never played in the NBA, he never played professionally at all, and look how he turned out? Many instances of coaches who didn't play professionally and turned out just fine. Christ, Brad Stevens never played in the NBA, and look at him?

I think part of all of this is sexism, and I do feel that the male ego is threatened by possibilities like this. I also think that if she becomes a head coach at some point, some drama will surround it. That is just my opinion. I think as a society we are more open to opportunities like Hammon is getting, but still some close minded/macho men out there that are threatened by such a move. That's just the reality of the situation.

The "Inexperience" argument could have some truth to it in peoples minds, but I am not buying it as the ultimate excuse. Especially considering her background in professional basketball, and her 4 years under coach Pop.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed May 09, 2018 10:52 am

I agree. It feels like people are grasping at straws to paint her as unqualified and unsuitable, when we've previously seen individuals with seemingly less experience and credentials not only get opportunities, but succeed. Given the main difference between her and those other individuals, the motivations for doing so are a little suspect to say the least.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Wed May 09, 2018 4:21 pm

If she's qualified, why not? This shouldn't be an issue in the first place.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Return to NBA & Basketball