Your 2017-18 Award Picks

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Your 2017-18 Award Picks

Postby Lamrock on Thu May 03, 2018 11:58 am

One of my favorite things about the post-season was the steady announcement of award winners. Unfortunately, they're giving the dumb awards show thing another shot. Now, I don't think the awards show is a terrible idea, but holding it a week after the NBA Finals concludes is. Either way, the next best thing are to get the NLSC's NBA experts to make their picks. I'll start...

MVP:
My Pick: James Harden | My prediction: James Harden
In hindsight, Harden probably should have won this last season, but narrative is the most important factor when it comes to the MVP award these days. But this season, his Rockets had the best record in the league, and his numbers are as good as anybody's. The two-time runner-up will almost certainly win this award, and I think it's well-deserved. Harden might be the best offensive player in the game, and while not a plus defender, has found a niche guarding larger players. He's a polarizing one, but Harden is one of the greats, even if he gets swept in the conference finals this year.

RotY:
My Pick: Ben Simmons | My prediction: Ben Simmons/Donovan Mitchell (co-winners)
After 3-and-D role player Malcolm Brogdon won rookie of the year in one of the worst RotY races in recent memory (but was he really worse than MCW or Wiggins?), now we have two all-star caliber players up for the award. Both players are wonderful, but in my view Ben SImmons did more for his team, that 16 game winning streak to end the season sealing the deal. I think most people agree, with the case for Mitchell being that Simmons isn't a "real" rookie. I'm honestly fine with that logic, as long as Blake Griffin gives his RotY trophy to Landry Fields. But I think that the NBA colludes with the voters to ensure that we get our first co-winners like, 20 years. Just a hunch.

6MotY
My pick: Lou Williams | My prediction: Lou Williams
He averaged over 20 points per game, was in the all-star discussion, and nearly led a Clippers team that is in selling mode to the playoffs. The only thing that will keep him from winning unanimously is the handful of old guys who assumed he was a starter

MIP:
My pick: Victor Oladipo | My prediction: Victor Oladipo
People used to complain about this award a lot, complaining that second year players have an unfair advantage as they are "supposed" to improve. I think it would be funny to pick Ben SImmons for this award, but they probably wouldn't count it. Anyway, a second year player hasn't won it since Monta in 2007, and to be honest, he had it all back then. But Dipo has a "pure" case for the award. He's a fifth year player, playing similar minutes as last year but in a bigger role. However, his efficiency actually improved as he made the jump from a Wiggins-caliber player to a legit all-star. He and the Pacers should be a tough out in the first round for years to come. Unanimous.

DPotY:
My pick: Anthony Davis | My prediction: Rudy Gobert
Rudy Gobert is the league's best defensive player in my opinion. But he missed nearly a third of the season. I don't think his defensive impact was 50% greater than that of Davis, who anchored a competent Pelicans defense constantly shuffling players in and out. I think AD is going to end up like Duncan, retiring without a DPotY despite consistently being one of the league's best defensive players. Embiid was the favorite before missing the last few games of the season, and so he doesn't have the games played argument in his favor. But I'd go with Davis.

CotY:
My pick: Brad Stevens | My prediction: Dwane Casey
If the Raptors lose to Cleveland, this will be one of the more awkward award presentations.. Casey has the narrative, taking more or less the same team as last year, and improving them by changing up the offense and utilizing the bench. And he deserves a ton of credit for that, regardless of how the post-season goes. But Stevens.. holy shit. He has to be the best coach in the league at this point. With the unending series of injuries, the fourth best record in the league is an incredible accomplishment.

EotY:
My pick: Daryl Morey | My prediction: Daryl Morey
The Chris Paul trade worked out.

All-NBA Teams:
1st: Harden, Lillard, James, Antetokounmpo, Davis
2nd: Paul, Westbrook, Durant, Aldridge, Towns
3rd: Oladipo, DeRozan, George, Horford, Drummond

All-Defensive Teams:
1st: Oladipo, Jaylen Brown, George, Davis, Gobert
2nd: Simmons, Roberson, Draymond Green, Antetokounmpo, Embiid

All-Rookie Teams:
1st: Simmons, Mitchell, Tatum, Markkanen, Kuzma
2nd: Bogdanovic, John Collins, Adebayo, Josh Jackson, Dennis Smith
Lamrock

Re: Your 2017-18 Award Picks

Postby Jackie Kong on Thu May 03, 2018 12:57 pm

I really hope Stevens wins Coach of the year.
Some people fail to acknowledge how much luck Casey had with injuries or the lack of the them during regular season.

Irving missed 22 season games.
Top 4 Raptors players in minutes combined for only 17 missed games.
Top 8 missed only 45 games.

Top 3 Celtics players in minutes missed 44 games. Not to mention Hayward, Smart and Morris.

Plus, Lowry went from missing 22 games last season to only 4. DeRozan went from 8 to 2.

And it wasn't really that hard for Raptors to improve their offense from what they had before with the same coach. Over Raptors realgm board, they still seem to think that he sucks. :facepalm2:
Jackie Kong

Postby NovU on Thu May 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Good read, Lamerock. I could agree to your thoughts mostly off the top of my head.

I'd still go for Casey. He's found a great success with a specific 2nd unit line up and rolled with it greatly. Hence the best record in East which deserves huge credits. Ofc Stevens has done nice too but being a Celtics sheds a few points off of him from my perspective.

Ben Simmons over Mitchell. In fact I might roll with Jayson Tatum over Mitchell as well (only if he wasn't Celtics but you get the point)

Daryl Morey's moneyball has gradually improved the Rockets to a contender status. A winner of last year's free agency market, also the winner of Executive award. Nice.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby air gordon on Fri May 04, 2018 12:25 am

i agree mostly with the original list. with KD, Curry, Embiid, and some other notable players missing games, it's tough to place them on an all nba team. i think Butler and embiid are all nba & defense but i wont lose sleep over it if they don't

may as well put beverly on there if roberson is all nba defense
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Fri May 04, 2018 5:04 am

MVP:
My Pick: James Harden | My prediction: James Harden

This actually wasn't an easy choice, as I think Anthony Davis has a case as well. Anthony Davis is the best two-way player in the game right now (my opinion), take him off that Pelicans team (After Cousins went down) and that team is absolutely dreadful. He carries them on offense AND defense, he brings it every night.

RotY:
My Pick: Ben Simmons/Donovan Mitchell (co-winners)| My prediction: Ben Simmons/Donovan Mitchell (co-winners)

I love Tatum, but he obviously hasn't put up the same numbers. Granted, it's because not as much has been asked of him (In the regular season), but still. Simmons put up all around numbers all season without the ability to shoot, and was the main reason (Along with Embiid) for the 76ers rise. Mitchell is just silly, and far better than I thought he would be in his rookie year. His contributions have directly lead to the Jazz fan base saying "Hayward who?". Not sure I can remember a time where a team bounced back so quickly from a player who plays the same or a similar position, an all-star. Didn't even take a season to find a great replacement.

6MotY
My pick: Lou Williams | My prediction: Lou Williams

Same, but honorable mention to Terry Rozier. Both players had to step up and play big minutes because of injuries, and even step into the starting lineup. Lou was just a freak for a good stretch in the middle of the season, felt like he could score whenever he wanted. Lou started 19 games, but 60 of his games came off the bench and he averaged over 20 ppg, and over 5 apg, that's impressive. Granted, he played starter minutes. Roziers case has some merit also because of the Celtics record, and he was also a big part of what the Celtics were doing all season (Played about 26mpg).

MIP:
My pick: Victor Oladipo | My prediction: Victor Oladipo

Have to agree with Oladipo. Many have said that the Brodie stunted his growth last year, but I disagree. Oladipo himself said he learned a ton from Westbrook, and I think he took that Westbrook mentality into this season. It paid off, he was a phenomenal two way player.

DPotY:
My pick: Anthony Davis | My prediction: Rudy Gobert

Again, I agree with Lamrock here. I stated that I liked Davis for DPOY in another thread. Davis's defense often gets overshadowed/overlooked because of his offense. But Davis was a monster defensively all season, not only blocking shots, but getting his hands in the passing lanes and just get steals in general. Davis's workload inside increased when Cousins went down, and the Pelicans didn't miss a beat. Granted, they picked up Okafor, but he didn't log big minutes. I think Gobert will win it, but Davis is my pick.

CotY:
My pick: Brad Stevens | My prediction: Dwane Casey

Not just from the perspective a Celtics fan, but a basketball fan, I can't believe the production that Stevens has gotten out of this team with all the injuries. He has players like Semi Ojeleye, Jabari Bird, etc stepping up and helping them win basketball games. He has made Marcus Smart's horrendous shooting somehow look like a positive, he has fans clamouring for more Marcus Smart. He continues to win in the playoffs with lineups that you might consider a lottery team lineup if you were a fairweather fan. A win against Philly in the 2nd round of the playoffs with a starting lineup of Rozier, Smart, Tatum, Baynes and Horford? He just knows how to get the most out of his guys, and he has been doing this since his first year in the NBA. I don't think Casey could get the same job done with the roster Stevens has, I give the easy nod to Stevens.

EotY:
My pick: Daryl Morey | My prediction: Daryl Morey

Agreed with Lamrock. Hard to argue this one.

All-NBA Teams:
1st: Harden, Westbrook, James, Antetokounmpo, Davis
2nd: Oladipo, Lillard, Durant, Aldridge, Towns
3rd: Paul, DeRozan, George, Horford, Drummond

Agreed with Lamrock on the players, but I changed the order a tad.

All-Defensive Teams:
1st: Oladipo, Jaylen Brown, George, Davis, Gobert
2nd: Simmons, Roberson, Draymond Green, Antetokounmpo, Drummond

Mostly agree, but I changed out Embiid for Drummond. Not only did Drummond protect the paint, his hands were everywhere and contributed in the steals department as well. He also averaged 16 RPG, which is part of the defense equation. He averaged 10.9 DEF rebounds per game.

All-Rookie Teams:
1st: Simmons, Mitchell, Tatum, Markkanen, Kuzma
2nd: Fox, John Collins, Adebayo, Josh Jackson, Lonzo Ball

- Mostly agree, but I subbed in Fox for Bogs (Which was tough). Numbers comparable, but I think the amount of responsibility put on Fox to run that Kings team was... a lot. I thought not only did he handle himself well, he had a few really solid stretches during the season. I think he hit a bit of a rookie wall at one point, but I liked his season overall. I do like Bogs, I think he will be a fine NBA player for some time. I also subbed Ball in for Dennis Smith Jr. The Lakers looked like a completely different team when Ball was on the floor, and I am not even a fan of him. Even if his shot wasn't falling (Which was especially the case earlier in the season), he was contributing in most other areas and controlling the pace of the game. Smith had some dreadful shooting nights, and shot under 40% for the season. Ball also did, but Smith wasn't contributing as much in the other areas, in fact sometimes he just flat out disappeared (Despite being the primary ball handler in numerous lineups).
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri May 04, 2018 7:18 am

Simmons isn't a rookie but I think with all of the controversy of is he/isn't he they will do co-winners especially since he would have won easily last year and you can't penalize Mitchell for the sixers decision to sit Simmons. Or fuck it and make them and Kuz the three co-ROY
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Fri May 04, 2018 9:44 am

I have no idea what I'm doing with the all defensive teams. Just haven't watched enough
Lamrock

Postby Jackie Kong on Fri May 04, 2018 11:54 am

It seems like Dejounte Murray might make it to the at least one of the all-defensive teams.
Jackie Kong

Postby shadowgrin on Fri May 04, 2018 12:25 pm

What's the big deal with Simmons 'not being a rookie', it wasn't a big issue when Blake Griffin won ROY.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby NovU on Fri May 04, 2018 3:29 pm

Not a big deal. Saying Simmons isn't a rookie is same thing as Simmons 'won'. He is the best rookie since CP3.

But tonight he was just ugh... 1 pts 5 reb 7 ast on 0%fg and 5to. Rookie panic attack? McConnell if played the full minutes in 4th, I honestly believe the 76ers could have won.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Fri May 04, 2018 6:35 pm

Griffin didn't have a Donovan Mitchell
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Andrew on Fri May 04, 2018 10:25 pm

That's the thing. It's trying to settle the Simmons vs. Mitchell debate on a technicality, a technicality that involves rewriting definitions and nomenclature to boot.

I remember a protest vote against Blake Griffin back in 2011 for similar reasons. The bottom line is that until a player has played in their first NBA regular season game, their NBA career hasn't technically started. It does so when they play their first game, and that season is thus considered their rookie year. That's how it's always been.

When Arvydas Sabonis finally came to the NBA at age 31, after years playing professionally in Europe, he was considered an NBA rookie, and he had a lot more experience than Ben Simmons did sitting out a year while rehabbing an injury. When Jeff Ruland elected to go to Europe for what should've been his rookie season, he was a rookie upon making his debut in the NBA the following year. As NovU said, resorting to the "Simmons isn't a rookie" argument - when by all established precedents and definitions, he absolutely is - is basically saying there's no better argument for Mitchell than the other guy in the race should be disqualified on a technicality; a technicality that doesn't exist, at that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Sat May 05, 2018 3:41 pm

Prigioni was a rookie at 34. I really don't get it why people are saying Simmons isn't a rookie.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby benji on Sat May 05, 2018 4:37 pm

Blake Griffin actually was unanimous ROY.

David Robinson came to the NBA a whole two years after his draft and still was unanimous!

SoF'nAwesome wrote:Griffin didn't have a Donovan Mitchell

Though he did have John Wall (16/5/8), Cousins (14/8), and Landry Fields (10/6/2) getting the non first-place votes.
benji

Postby Andrew on Sat May 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Weird. I could've sworn there was one sportswriter who protested Griffin; maybe whoever it was kicked up a stink about it, but ultimately voted for him anyway. In any event, the debate obviously came up back then as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackie Kong on Sun May 06, 2018 6:25 am

Personally, I think being an NBA rookie is more about adjusting to the NBA as a whole than adjusting to pro basketball so age is a non factor to me. About Simmons being a rookie or not, I would say he is a semi-rookie based on what I just said so while I would consider him for ROY I would still rather pick a typical rookie with same stats.
Simmons had the best season I think but Mitchell was not far behind so I would give a co-ROY to make everyone happy.
Jackie Kong

Postby [Q] on Sun May 06, 2018 9:38 am

Stress Fracture wrote:Prigioni was a rookie at 34. I really don't get it why people are saying Simmons isn't a rookie.

It's not the age as most people acknowledge that players that come later in their careers are still rookies technically with no NBA experience. The issue is sitting on the bench and on the roster of an NBA team for a season before playing

I get the argument for both sides, but I remember last year getting the feeling that Simmons could have made a return during the season
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun May 06, 2018 12:12 pm

But again, it all comes down to a technicality that doesn't exist. This is the first year Simmons has played - in other words, his rookie season - so he's a rookie.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:53 pm

In the end, it wasn't even a close contest.

My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:09 pm

As it should be.

Sixers had a good winning run when Embiid was out for a while and Simmons running the team.

Jazz only started to consistently pick up wins when Gobert came back.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Return to NBA & Basketball