2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (3) Philadelphia

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Make your prediction!

Celtics in 4 (lulz)
10%
Celtics in 5
No votes
Celtics in 6
10%
Celtics in 7
No votes
76ers in 4
10%
76ers in 5
20%
76ers in 6
30%
76ers in 7
No votes
Where is Lamrock? I hate NovU making thread. It's stupid, but I'm an idiot.
10%
Sauru/Jao/Dee cry their best players are hurt and claim this series don't count.
10%

Total votes : 10

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (3) Philadelphia

Postby shadowgrin on Fri May 11, 2018 12:07 am

Knew the Sixers on the defensive end were fucked every time Embiid was more than 15 feet away from the basket because of how the Celtics spread the floor and targeted the weakest defender in cutting to the basket.

Sixers on offense were too much reliant on isos. I don't even blame Embiid for failing to win it, that last play with him was all reliant on him with no plan B in case the Celtics defense crowded him, which they did.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Dee4Three on Fri May 11, 2018 12:15 am

shadowgrin wrote:Knew the Sixers on the defensive end were fucked every time Embiid was more than 15 feet away from the basket because of how the Celtics spread the floor and targeted the weakest defender in cutting to the basket.

Sixers on offense were too much reliant on isos. I don't even blame Embiid for failing to win it, that last play with him was all reliant on him with no plan B in case the Celtics defense crowded him, which they did.

Baynes played great straight up defense, but he didn't necessarily stop Embiid. Embiid got right under the hoop and missed a bunny. His only defender on that play was Baynes, so I think the 76ers would take the same attempt 10 times out of 10 times.

The 76ers looked gassed or caught up in the moment. When Tatum missed that finger roll, not one 76er (Including Embiid who was right in the area) put a body on anybody, which allowed Marcus Smart to fly in uncontested for the tip in. No attempt to boxout Marcus Smart occurred.

They were also confusing the 76ers with screening, and like you said, attacking the weakest defender. Numerous times the Celtics would SHOW a screen for Tatum, and instead of using it he would dive to the hoop. The 76ers looked to be anticipating the use of that screen and others, but the Celtics didn't always use them. C's players off the ball just kept changing directions (Mostly Tatum from what I saw), and it created havoc. They made keeping Embiid away from the basket look easy, and he looked exhausted at the end of the game.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Sun May 13, 2018 8:28 am

Dee4Three wrote:Baynes played great straight up defense, but he didn't necessarily stop Embiid. Embiid got right under the hoop and missed a bunny. His only defender on that play was Baynes, so I think the 76ers would take the same attempt 10 times out of 10 times.

sometimes you dont have to stop a player to have played good defense. if you make them work harder than normal for the majority of their points by the end they wont have anything left in the tank. you know you cant stop some players so you wear them out instead
Sauru

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 15, 2018 7:10 am

Sauru wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:Baynes played great straight up defense, but he didn't necessarily stop Embiid. Embiid got right under the hoop and missed a bunny. His only defender on that play was Baynes, so I think the 76ers would take the same attempt 10 times out of 10 times.

sometimes you dont have to stop a player to have played good defense. if you make them work harder than normal for the majority of their points by the end they wont have anything left in the tank. you know you cant stop some players so you wear them out instead

Totally agree.

I still say they would take that shot 10 out of 10 times given the chance. Baynes absolutely tired him out, throughout the game and on that possession. That's the value in a guy like Baynes, and at the guard level a guy like Smart. Smart's hustle and constant motor tires out opposing players, even if it doesn't show in his stats. This is why stats can be completely overrated sometimes, and not tell the whole story. It's why watching games is way more beneficial than looking at a box score, you get way more out of it.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Wed May 16, 2018 6:24 am

playoff basketball. if the refs allow defenders like smart to hold, grab, etc perimeter players like Reddick (similar to what cleveland did to injured Curry 2016), that's a huge advantage to defense/ stifling to a perimeter hungry team like the sixers
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Wed May 16, 2018 6:32 am

Perimeter hungry with your first or second best player unable to shoot. Simmons needs to work on his shot big time, that way teams can't lay off of him and take advantage of that huge weakness.

Plenty of holding by both teams in this series, there were a couple games where Philly was getting away with murder in the paint. One of those games was game 4. Particularly the second quarter.

It was a physical series. Clearly Boston would have won regardless, and Embiid certainly wasn't held on that last attempt. He just missed it.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Wed May 16, 2018 9:17 am

air gordon wrote:playoff basketball. if the refs allow defenders like smart to hold, grab, etc perimeter players like Reddick (similar to what cleveland did to injured Curry 2016), that's a huge advantage to defense/ stifling to a perimeter hungry team like the sixers

and this is exactly why the guards of today all have inflated stats and people over rate them on the all time list.
Sauru

Postby shadowgrin on Wed May 16, 2018 12:18 pm

and this is exactly why the guards of today all have inflated stats and people over rate them on the all time list

phpBB [video]
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby air gordon on Wed May 16, 2018 12:42 pm

Hey show some respect lol. As long as the refs show consistency on calling/not calling fouls on the perimeter defense it's all good to me
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball