Westbrook averages a triple-double for the second consecutive year

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Westbrook averages a triple-double for the second consecutive year

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:55 am

Russell Westbrook secures triple-double average for second straight season

Once Russell Westbrook let it be known he was not pleased with critics accusing him of stat-stuffing, his teammate Carmelo Anthony among them, there was no way the Oklahoma City Thunder guard was not going to get 16 rebounds on Wednesday night.

That’s the tally he needed to secure his second straight season with an average of a triple double. It doesn’t take more than a glance at his halftime box score to see how singularly focused he was. Westbrook tallied 11 rebounds, 12 assists and one point on two field goal attempts.

He secured his 16th rebound at the 9:18 mark of the third quarter. Entering the game, he was averaging 25.6 points, 10.1 assists and 9.9 rebounds.

It happened a bit quietly this time. I guess with him doing it last year, it didn't garner the same attention or excitement this time around. Of course, Westbrook himself takes it seriously, to the point he's not happy about teammates ribbing him about stat-padding.

“A lot people make jokes about, you know, stat padding or going to get rebounds,” Westbrook told reporters. “If people could get 20 rebounds every night, they would. If people could get 15 rebounds, they would. People that’s talking or saying whatever they need to say, they should try doing it and see how hard it is.”

He then appeared to hone in directly on Anthony’s comments about stealing rebounds.

“Everybody wants to be talking, I’m tired of hearing the same old rebound this, stealing rebounds, all this [expletive],” Westbrook said. “I take pride in what I do. I come out and play, and I get the ball faster than somebody else gets to it. That’s what it is. If you don’t want it, I’m gonna get it. Simple as that.”

You can't put a price on that chemistry.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Westbrook averages a triple-double for the second consecutive year

Postby Jackie Kong on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Stp does it again!
Jackie Kong

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:33 pm

Nice work Brodie.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:11 pm

Congrats to him! It's refreshing to see a player honest about winning not being his top priority
Lamrock

Postby Kevin on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:14 pm

6/19/20 statline tonight. I like how he gets shit done on the floor whenever he wants and make it look effortless.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Phil89 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:23 pm

An amazing achievement, again.

I really don't get why people hate on him. OKC win over 80% of the time when he gets a triple-double, so how is he hurting them by playing so hard?
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Kevin on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Phil89 wrote:An amazing achievement, again.

I really don't get why people hate on him. OKC win over 80% of the time when he gets a triple-double, so how is he hurting them by playing so hard?
HE'S STATPADDING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

But seriously, if anyone can do what he does, 100% they'll do the same thing.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:25 pm

Perhaps it could be best summed up by saying stats are objective, but the people using and discussing them are not.

After all, when LeBron James gets a triple-double, it's a sign of greatness. When Nikola Jokic has more triple doubles than LeBron James did at the same point in his career, it's a sign of the game wonderfully evolving. When Russell Westbrook averages a triple-double in two consecutive seasons, he's shamefully stat padding and only interested in personal glory. Now, maybe Westbrook is more interested in personal glory than championships, but an accomplishment is an accomplishment, regardless of intent.

I do feel like triple-doubles are becoming an overrated stat, but all the same, what Westbrook has done is still an impressive feat.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:28 pm

Good for Westbrook for not tolerating Melo's passive-aggressive shit. About time someone put Carmelo in line.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby NovU on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:11 am

Carmelo knows a thing or two about stat padding. He's jealous Westy does it much better.

This achievement by Westy is amazing. I didn't think it'd be possible in modern era basketball. Still, Westy isn't KD neither Harden's level of player.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:20 am

It reminds me of the Wizards color guy during Blatche's quest for a triple-double: "I like stats, but I hate player playing for stats"

Even LeBron playing for his 10 points/82nd game was lame.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:42 am

cavs4872 wrote:Even LeBron playing for his 10 points/82nd game was lame.

I wondered what was up with him only playing those ten minutes, then realised that's what was going on.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:09 pm

To be fair LeBron would've gotten it had he played the whole game anyways
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:27 am

Good take on the celebration of LeBron (finally) playing in all 82 games: LeBron James: Playing in all 82 games not that big of a deal

LeBron James will play in his 82nd game tonight, marking the first time the three-time NBA champion has played in every game during a regular season.

Jason Lloyd as as good as they come when it comes to beat writers, but even The Athletic’s Editor-in-Chief treated this fete as some kind of religious experience.

And I just don’t get it.

Michael Jordan played all 82 eight times during his career, including in that season we’d all love to forget with the Washington Wizards. In Jordan’s final three seasons with the Bulls, which consisted his age 32, 33 and 34 seasons, he played in all 82, and then followed each regular season up with a Larry O’Brien Trophy.

Around the G.O.A.T. block, Magic Johnson never played in 82. Larry Bird did it three times in his 13 year career. Kobe Bryant did it four times, with his last time coming in his age 32 season.

Dr. J probably thinks everyone’s nuts for making a big deal about LBJ. Erving played in 84 games in four of his first five years during those crazy ABA days.

Actually it was nine times for MJ, but close enough. It's noteworthy in its own right, but aside from several players doing it multiple times, Jordan and Karl Malone both did it in their fifteenth seasons as well, playing a similar amount of minutes and at an older age. Hats off to LeBron for finally doing it, but let's not put some arbitrary importance on it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby dwayne2005 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:44 am

Not stealing rebounds, last year at least. At least as far as I can see. I put the numbers through my program and observed the next two leading rebounders on his team were getting the same or slightly more rebounds corresponding to him increasing his rebound count, not less. His rebounds go up when team rebounds go up, not quite 1:1 but mostly.

You can control how many rebounds you get, to a degree. He did get the necessary rebound count on the last day of the season because he or the team upped the tempo of the game, creating more shots for both teams, therefore more opportunities for rebounds and a 137 to 123 regulation time scoreline. The numbers are not as good as Oscar Robertson's triple double season, but when you consider the games were more up tempo in the early '60s I think they compete if not are surpassed by Westbrook's accomplishments.

He actually finished the season with just 25 triple doubles! (42 the year before.)
dwayne2005

Postby Jackie Kong on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:53 pm

Tue 3/13 @ ATL - 12 rebounds
Mon 12/18 vs DEN - 9 rebounds
Sat 12/16 @ NY - 7 rebounds
Wed 11/15 vs CHI - 5 rebounds
Sun 11/12 vs DAL - 6 rebounds
Fri 11/10 vs LAC - 3 rebounds
--------------------------------------------
7 rebounds per game without Adams.
Jackie Kong

Postby dwayne2005 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:23 am

3 less on average over a 6 game survey... He was 10 rebounds per game in the 2 contests in 2017-18. If you take the outlier of 3 rebounds out of the equation and encompass those 2 games as well, that alone halves the difference and it would still only be a 7 game sample. It also doesn't mean he is stealing rebounds. Even if it were true, it is not necessarily rebounds Steven Adams would collect in his absence, but may just be part of the team dynamic that has helped make him into this triple double machine evidently to the tune of 1.5 to 3 rebounds per game.
dwayne2005

Postby NovU on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:54 am

There should not be any denials that his teammates helped him getting the rebounds throughout the season imho. Steven Adams is a nice teammate to have in that regard. Melo also played to a team culture.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/4/12/ ... c-playoffs

Not sure if this is a healthy thing for the Thunder though. Westy might be playing out of position sometimes.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Jackie Kong on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:47 am

https://stats.nba.com/players/reboundin ... =REB&dir=1
Out of the top 15 in rpg, he is by far the one with the lowest contested %. He has almost 8 uncontested rpg out of 10,1.
He also has the lowest contested % among the top guards in rpg.

NovU wrote:https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/4/12/17227588/russell-westbrook-triple-double-okc-playoffs

Those clips are exactly what it is, lol.
“If you don’t want it, I’m gonna get it. Simple as that.” - Yes. Right. Melo doesn't want free rebounds.
"He just says he plays harder than anyone else." - And yet others have to box out for him.
Jackie Kong

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:05 am

I don’t see anything wrong with teammates boxing out for Westbrook.
Even Bill Russell asked his teammates, including the guards, to box out for him. No one has accused Bill Russell of stat padding his rebounds or questioned his work and effort on the floor.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:15 am

As long as players are boxing out and someone's coming up with the rebound, they're doing it right.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:29 pm

So would you guys say he is the best rebounding point guard of all time? or 2nd only behind Oscar?
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:56 pm

I guess he's entered the conversation. It's probably worth noting that it wasn't until the last few years that his rebounding numbers were extraordinary for a point guard, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:50 pm

That I believe is why I think his numbers are bit inflated and criticisms are valid. Just by the numbers, he is a greater rebounder than LBJ, or MJ ever was. What if other superstars chased the rebounds as Westy did with help of others. Situation in OKC became so unique on KD's departure and it worked wonders for him.

As Melo noted, he gets a lot of help and isn't really the one that fights to create team rebound but is a beneficiary most of times by design.

But I'd also agree he belongs to the discussion as one of the best rebounding point guards.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby dwayne2005 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:32 am

All basketball records need to be looked at with skepticism, including many we hold iconic.
dwayne2005

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball