Do you spend more time watching basketball or reading about it?

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Do you spend more time watching basketball or reading about it?

Postby Lamrock on Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 am

As someone who works nights and weekends, I don't get to watch as much basketball as I used to. Back in my halcyon days, I'd catch most of the playoff and TNT/ESPN games but now, even with reddit streams being so good, I definitely spend more time following the NBA than watching it. Basketball dominates my social media feeds, and I have an obsessive habit of checking for related headlines, but Blazers/Rockets is the only game I've watched from start to finish since the all-star break.

Is anyone else the same way?

Forgive me if this thread has been done before (recently). Also for the long thread title. And for the small font. Remember when people used to do that all the time? Anyway, this is getting off topic. Speaking of which, last night I dreamed that I worked for Saturday Night Live. We were doing a sketch that took place in a pizzeria or something. Anyway, I kept trying to shoehorn the pun "pasta point of no return", which was not impressing Bobby Moynihan. When I remembered that Moynihan was no longer part of the cast, I work up.
Lamrock

Re: Do you spend more time watching basketball or reading about it?

Postby [Q] on Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:57 am

I've actually watched more basketball this year than in the last few years combined. Was really excited for all this young talent for the Lakers this year and summer league got me hooked on these guys. Then kuzma proceeded to dominate in preseason and I just had to watch every game to see how he would do. I'd say I watched a good 60-70% of Lakers games this year (damn those east coast games)
Hell,I even watched some of the all star game this year which I hadn't done in like a decade.
Hadn't really been watching much before this season. Feels like when I wasn't watching and Linsanity got me excited to watch basketball again. Kuzma and also randles progress has had me on the edge of my seat this year.

I do read some stuff, I like to keep up on the latest news and the factual stuff. I don't like reading opinions because people will just say about anything. Just ask Stephen a Smith or skip bayless
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:09 am

For reasons I've gone into in other topics (so won't repeat here as to avoid harping on them), my interest in watching has dwindled a bit in recent years. However, with the Playoffs looming, I'm feeling my interest being piqued again.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:22 pm

Well, I only watch the Cavs games but try to keep up with all the latest headlines all around the NBA. TheScore is the best place for all important and relevant news and is my go-to place. Reddit is shitty and stale.

So, I guess to answer your question: yes.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Lamrock on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:58 am

SoF'nAwesome wrote:Reddit is shitty and stale.

NEPHEW.
Lamrock

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:13 am

Being a student with a job, time is not on my side to watch full games too often. Also, the fact that I have to watch a recording of the game a few hours after instead of seeing it on live TV takes away from my enthusiasm.

I do watch the 3 minute NBA Fast Break daily, and sometimes I watch the starters to catch up with everything. Other than that, I try to watch at least one game/week (during the weekends). With the Playoffs being almost here, I will probably ditch Netflix and Dota 2 for some NBA action.
I Hate Mondays

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:21 am

What has been clutch for the Lakers games I miss are full 9 minute highlights on YouTube. Gives you a bit more than standard highlight packages, so it still feels like I kinda watched the game, especially if I haven't seen the final score yet
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Living in Canada, most of my friends and even fam are hockey fans mildly but not into bball much. As I got older, I kinda started following their passion as socializing is more fun than sitting alone to watch bball. So now I definitely read more than watching.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:44 pm

NovU wrote:Living in Canada, most of my friends and even fam are hockey fans mildly but not into bball much. As I got older, I kinda started following their passion as socializing is more fun than sitting alone to watch bball. So now I definitely read more than watching.

Even with DWade back in Heat homie?
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby [Hyperize] on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:29 am

About equal halves as I watch a lot of old-school highlights on YouTube, but with the first round looming (my favorite time of season) that's about to change; I love the prospect of an 8 seed who has no business being there having the chance to pull off an upset.
[Hyperize]

Postby NovU on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:54 pm

SoF'nAwesome wrote:
NovU wrote:Living in Canada, most of my friends and even fam are hockey fans mildly but not into bball much. As I got older, I kinda started following their passion as socializing is more fun than sitting alone to watch bball. So now I definitely read more than watching.

Even with DWade back in Heat homie?

I might be a hardcore Wade fan but I have to admit it's tough watching him these days. The guy's a wash, it's about time I admit this and move on. I might just become a best Lakers fan ever if Lonzo pans out to be a stud. lolz
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:38 am

NovU wrote:I might be a hardcore Wade fan but I have to admit it's tough watching him these days. The guy's a wash, it's about time I admit this and move on. I might just become a best Lakers fan ever if Lonzo pans out to be a stud. lolz

If you have to move on, why not Raptors? :lol:
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:41 am

I spend more time reading, I think all of us do because it's not feasible to watch a ton of basketball, we all (or most) have full time jobs and lives outside of it. I have league pass, but still can't catch a lot of the games.

I'd say for me it's probably 70-30 or 80-20 watching compared to reading.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:01 am

I honestly find myself looking at box scores more than watching games; that Warriors starting five is hot (Iggy-Klay-Durant-Dray-McGee) - that's some shit I'd do in 2K.
[Hyperize]

Return to NBA & Basketball