Jordan at 38-40 guarding the best players

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Jordan at 38-40 guarding the best players

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:39 am

Jackal wrote:You're not really dealing out sarcasm or remarks though, you're just coming off as someone who likes the smell of their own farts so much they have to thank others for farting around him but subtly try to remind them that yours ultimately smells better.

But I don't care enough to be bothered so carry on.

My statement to Air Gordon absolutely was sarcasm.

And no, I am making points that people don't agree with, and I am sticking by my points.

1. I stated LeBron is the ultimate stat padder, even his own teammates have accused him of trying to make the assist pass instead of the right pass.
2. I stated LeBron was even accused of stat padding by the commentators in the finals when the game was already decided.
3. I made the remark that LeBron is covering the worst player on the opposing team most every night (At age 33), and that it was impressive that Jordan did the opposite on most nights at ages 38-40.
4. I showed numerous videos of LeBron being lazy on defense, or getting torched (With the Heat and the Cavs), to counteract the comment about me showing or talking about "One Play".
5. I stated that Jordan covered Payton for 3 of the 6 finals games in the finals in 1996, because a claim was made that he only guarded Payton in the 4th quarter, or ends of quarters, or when he was tired out. I also backed this up with a video.
6. I stated LeBron yelled at his teammates about defense, even though the possession before the time out he just let the offensive player waltz into the lane. I backed this up with a video.

I stand by what I said. LeBron is overrated, and pads his stats (Does a damn good job of it). He doesn't take pride on the defensive end in my opinion.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:44 am

Well, here's the problem. If not LeBron then who? If overrated, what's his proper rating?

He's lapped the field in the regular season over the last decade, including the playoffs makes it even more of a one-sided laugher. Eight NBA Finals including seven straight. That's absurd. And it's not implausible he does eight straight. In the extended modern playoff era too.

I'm also still not clear on how you can stat-pad your defense while playing so many minutes, especially far more than anyone else in the league does. Or how someone with a usage rate as high as LeBron's while maintaining the incredibly high efficiency is somehow stat-padding by killing possessions as if he were Anthony Mason. It's really quite disgusting how he goes out of his way to...make his team better on both ends?

Something he's probably copying from Foolish Jordon anyway if true!
benji

Postby benji on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:45 am

But seriously, check out this hot footage, Foolish Jordon am cry:
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
benji

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:51 am

Marcus Fizer doesn't look impressive at all, his highlights are as bad as watching Walter McCarty highlights.

Clearly you are posting that to mock the videos I posted, but mine actually have to do with the context of this conversation, as it was centered around defense (and him overrated specifically). So posting that video to mock me, is actually quite silly.

My videos posted of Payton/Jordan were relevant to Shadowgrins claim, and the Miller/Jordan video was relevant to Air Gordons claim.

It's not just playing random videos. However, I appreciate a good role player highlight video from time to time, I fired up some Adrian Griffin highlights the other day, it was awesome.

And ahh yes, David Robinson (a Center) stealing and going coast to coast for a jam, with Jordan trying to reach in and disrupt his progress. Would you like him to tackle David Robinson in the open floor? He tried his best to catch him, Robinsons speed in that straight line was insane. He does what everybody does in that situation, go for the steal/disruption attempt.

And how impressive was Robinson in the open floor? look at that speed. What a gem.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:03 am

air gordon wrote:
shadowgrin wrote:My favorite Jordan defensive work was when he let Ron Harper guard and tire out Gary Payton in the 96 Finals and Jordan just switched on Payton late in games or end of quarters. Amazing hustle and smarts from Jordan that LeBron could only dream of.

don't you dare discredit, Jordan. i don't care if some bum named labradford smith dropped 37 on him either. i.. want... to.. be.. like.. Mike

Why do you want to be like that fraud? He only managed to dominate the league because the Pistons got old and injured, Bird hurt his back and wasn't the same again, and Magic got HIV. That's not the mark of a true champion, that's an opportunist, a scam artist that's the best in his craft.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby air gordon on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:41 am

Ok fine but gosh darn. I just got his retro Jersey for xmas. F it. I'll bleach it then burn it
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:30 am

Air Gordon wrote:
Postby air gordon on Wed May 24, 2017 10:37 am

Dee,
Thanks for your opinion. That's a high standard there. Ljames not the closest thing in this generation to mj? Didn't say he was better :) I will agree to disagree. Haven't had a wilt vs mj vs James debate for some time so I guess the forum is due. Have at it, novu

Be careful ShadowGrin, Air Gordon is just agreeing with you/siding with you because he thinks its the cool thing to do. As stated above, he has said LBJ is the closest thing to MJ, but not better. So, I can guarantee that Air Gordon doesn't agree with your fraud comments about Jordan. But, agreeing and continuing the joke is certainly the cool thing to do in his eyes, so thats the direction he went.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:24 pm

benji wrote:I'm also still not clear on how you can stat-pad your defense while playing so many minutes, especially far more than anyone else in the league does.

You can't. It's stupid and impossible.

But I suspect kid you are arguing against probably think 'defense stats' entirely as in blocks and steals. You can't win an argument against someone with entirely zero knowledge on what really is being discussed. It's stupid and impossible.

benji wrote:But seriously, check out this hot footage, Foolish Jordon am cry:
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Great proof. Concrete proof, end it all argument - the youtube vids.

There are hundred more, might as well post them each time you are confronted, the most logical way to reason. Nice. :applaud:
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:35 pm

It wouldn't be a bandwagon without NovU, glad you came back.

And no, you can't find a bunch videos of Jordan being exploited on defense, because it rarely ever happened. So that's you just being ignorant.

The fact that you applauded that choice of video where Jordan actually doesn't get exploited, or play bad defense, shows your desperate attempt to look cool and jump on the bandwagon. The fact that you also made a comment about showing videos when confronted, like it's a bad thing to show video evidence, shows the same thing. And the fact that you disregard the fact that there isn't a slew of videos out there of Jordan playing bad defense, or being exploited, and you won't admit that because you are also trying to be cool and jump on the bandwagon, is actually quite sad. In reality, without the trying to be cool, you would look at that video and go "That wasn't bad defense at all", and you would watch LeBron's lazy defense and exploited defense, and go "well I can't argue that, he's just standing there letting people go by". And you would watch games and the videos i posted, and say "well he absolutley is guarding the worst player every night this year, he should be taking on more of a challenge". But, the attempt to be hip with your buds and jump on the bandwagon is such a cooler and safe option. You are actually pathetic.

There is plenty of footage out there of Jordan, but his defense was elite.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:27 pm

Son, I know you're stupid but come on, reading your comments in this thread was enormously cancerous. At least be honest to yourself and admit when you are in the obvious wrong. What your purpose in this thread is nothing less of what I expected anyways. You practically attempt to depict LBJ in negative lights while going overboard to praise Jordan.

It's not wrong to say Jordan was a great defender but with a caveat: great as a perimeter defender. Because he was a bad post defender. Magic lit him up and 4s enjoyed him playing against Jordan there. That is where Pippen came in super handy. Not only his job was to guard opposing team's best player but he was great inside as well, allowing Jordan to conserve energy and only requiring him to seldom show up on defensive end. Wade and Kobe did about the same later in their career because it's just smart to do so due to their excellency on offense.

phpBB [video]

From the vid it's very evident, he is a great interchangeable defender who covers A LOT OF GROUND. Not only he's constantly going in and out of paint but also takes on duty of guarding someone who is much bigger and stronger(though not successful all the time, this defensive skillset is extremely useful in today's positionless bball where switching happens all the time). Now you see how he differentiates himself from other greats. He has quickness to guard speedy guys, strength to muscle bigs, quick hands to steal and block, overall defense awareness is great. You see why it's not really a myth that his teams always showed up to be an excellent defensive team throughout his career, supported by stats(#fact, not YT vid some stupid made with bias so other stupids can buy it as an entire story). His overall defensive presence alone is remarkable and impacts the game, anyone that knows the game should be able to see it.

I will foe list you again after this thread. Have fun, son. :wink:
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:35 pm

I've seen that video, and it's a good one. And he does show good defense in that video.

It doesn't change the amount of times he's been exploited, or his lazy defense, or his getting on his teammates about defense when he clearly wasn't playing any, or him taking the worst player in the lineup every game at the age of 33.

I even said he was a better defender before, but I still think he is overrated as a defender. And now, he's just a ghost on defense a lot of the time, and doesn't take on the challenge of guarding even the second or third bests on teams.

Jordan is smaller, but he also covered a lot of ground. He has more single season blocks than LeBron by a lot (Jordan had 131), and blows him away with best single season total steals. His post defense was good for his 6'6" frame. Everybody got killed by Magic it seemed in the post, that's like getting on a player for getting blown by by Westbrook. Nobody stays in front of Westbrook.

LeBron used to be a better defender, the last few years he's been not so good. And again, overrated. I wouldn't call him a dominant overall player the last three years if you are talking about both sides of the ball.

Nice touch with the video, I'm proud of you.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:44 pm

LbJ made to the finals 8 straight seasons. Cut him some slack ofc there are games he been exploited especially as focal defense guy most of times in his career. Overrated by your standard, ok, but MJ should be overrated by all standard even to go by your logic. He slept on D as LbJ, Kobe, Wade all did. Mj had practically great defenders surrouding him at all positions, not needing him much most of nights.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:10 pm

I will say, that at the height of social media the spotlight shines a lot brighter on players in regards to community made videos. I am concious of that.

With that being said, I have watched a ton of Jordan in my time, and I have never questioned him defensively, and can't remember him letting people just run by him.

LeBron said THIS SEASON that it's the best he felt in his career. That was this season. He feels his best, but can't take on better players? That's my concern.

In regards to being exploited, that is something that has absolutely happened. And it's shown in some of those videos. Yes. 8 finals, and yes he used to be a better defender. But he is overrated in that aspect in my opinion based on the amount of times he's been exploited, and certainly what he's being doing this season. And, I stand by all of my stat padding comments.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:24 pm

You're pinning down team's defense deficiency entirely on one player. This is where your shortcoming is. Too often, it's just frustrating to listen to your whining, avoid the cheap hating ffs. There are things called reasons which you refuse to look at.

Cavs' collapse on this season's defense is not entirely because LBJ is getting exploited due to his defensive deficiency. Examine this:

Minutes played by high -> low
1) LBJ: 2073
2) JR: 1636
3) Jae: 1346
4) Love: 1342
5) Green: 1253
6) Korver: 1190
7) Wade: 1069
8) Thompson: 760
9) Calderon: 610

For most of season, this team played without PG/C.

This team is solely surviving because of LBJ's excellency. Jordan could do better with this squad with this minute allocation? Perhaps, but not by large margin.

I think the Cavs or LBJ gave up on defense for the cause in offense. 5th in offensive rating, 29th in defense. Smart, just survive till PO, and kick up the rev as in past. LBJ even at his utmost effort, how much do you think the team could have been better defensively with above minute allocation and health issues? Yeah, LBJ's overrated, good thanks bye now.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:39 pm

You were doing okay until the "okay thanks bye now"

Minutes allocation means nothing in this case, they are 29th in defense and he is playing the most minutes. I'm not even sure why you are bringing that up. Not only are they 29th in defense, but he is covering the worst player on the floor on any given night, and showing plays with little to no effort. So yes, his defense isn't good this year, and is not reliable. You can tell easily by watching the games, and videos. And yes, he has been a big part of the defensive problem.

He said he has felt great this season, but doesn't show the effort and ability for that matter to help his team out defensively.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:21 pm

This is why it is so frustrating to deal with you. You are too stupid to figure out anything yourself.

Found any capable defensive player who logged significant minutes and healthy one at that? Jordan couldn't save this team defensively, if you truly believe so, you are truly an idiot.

LBJ at age of 33 with so much mileage more than MJ ever did, is still logging most minutes and games, produces near triple double, and no help on D, only idiots would expect this team to excel defensively.

You will probably repeat saying "oh he still doesnt play good d so he is overrated." while going onto lick jordan's nutsack by praising Jordan's D when he had his teammates doing the a lot of work, and same for kobe. In truth, neither was big part nor did as much as LBJ. Simply never had to so never did. By your logic, they should also be overrated because they didn't play much D nor put effort. Talk about double standard and stupidity. One standard for LBJ, another for your favorites. You see where Im going with this. Everyone realizes this except you. Everyone sees through your retardness now tho. Your purpose to serve your hero Jordan at cost of LBJ, this is becoming a common theme here. Quit it, troll. :shake:

they are 29th in defense

LoL, now metrics/stats count? Even though you have absolutely zero idea what it is? lolz, everyone else here recognizes what it is, except you been crying stats don't matter even tho we desperately tried to get you to look at it. You are just a scumbag playing any card to your advantage, proven now. Thanks.

Seriously, I mean seriously, your two digit IQ is truly worrisome. I am back to foe listing you right away. Your arguments are way too primitive and beyond stupid. Not worth time. k thanks bye for real.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby hova- on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:43 pm

By the way, I was watching the last two games of the Cavs (as I wanted to see how they gel with their new lineup) and LBJ was defending his position for the whole match - i.e. Melo vs the Thunder and started with Morris vs the Celtics and changed to whoever played at the four for the Cs.

So it did not seem like he was guarding the "weakest" player on the other team.

Although I think this might be a different topic, but I certainly agree to the fact that people use to forget that MJ had one of the best wing defenders ever (!) playing next to him for his entire prime (92-98 - at least success-wise his prime, although I would say 92-93 was his prime playing wise as well, not statistically though).

MJ was rarely guarding the opponents "best" player, Scottie did that and he was doing this so that MJ could save up energy on the other end. While Scottie certainly had some holes in his offensive game (not that good of a shooter as often proclaimed), this is also a reason why he did not put up gaudy numbers offensively. He was covering MJs back on D, stepping back on offense.

It's hard for me to really measure defense, and I feel that especially a lot of so called superstars are really not giving 100% on defense, but calling someone like LBJ a bad defender, whereas he clearly has one of most athletic basketball body ever and has been successful during his whole career ... I dont know.

Another point: often it seems like 'highlights' don't count, as they often resemble one situation and you should not generalize after watching highlights. But the amount of wicked blocks LeBron has had in his career ... he is one of the most gifted chase down blockers this league has ever seen. And yes - chasedown blocks are fancier than their true value - but that should not mean you just ignore them as a defensive stop. It's one facette of his defense that he is one of the best in recovering after getting beaten by a defender because of his big strides, long arms and silly vertical. These blocks might add to him being overrated because they are 'highlights'? Maybe, but they are great defensive stops as well.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby diamenz on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:43 am

lbj is a very good defender when he wants to be, but mj is light years ahead in every aspect of it except size.
diamenz

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:02 am

NovU, Jordan is not my "hero". I just think he is the greatest basketball player of all time. I've even said that if he hadn't retired through 93-94 and part of 94-95, that I think Hakeem would still have one or both titles. I don't think the Bulls had an answer for him. And yes, LeBron is a big part of that 29th in defense, and I never said that numbers don't matter, I said it was possible to stat pad your defense. I'll say again, it's clear to see LeBron's agenda when he is playing, it's play as lazy as possible on defense while sneaking in for a stat here or there, while stat padding his offense while holding the ball and looking for the assist pass, or plowing when the game is out of hand for a few extra points. It doesn't take a 3 digit IQ to see or understand that, so you have me worried. And dude, seriously? LeBron says that he feels the best in his career this season, but you are going to mention his minutes as an excuse compared to a 38-40 year old Jordan? He is still 5-7 years YOUNGER.

Hova, the game I watched I saw him start out on Roberson, and proceed to cover him when he was on the floor. If you saw different and he started off on Melo, or covered him a lot of the game, I take back that comment on that specific game. But I saw him on Roberson, just like Mbah a Moute, Henson/Liggins. However, the Cavs vs Thunder game I watched was before the trades happened, so you might be right in that regard. Maybe after the trades he has started taking better players on the other end.

In regards to his effort, I've never seen a player who is considered one of the best or the best take so many plays off. Or just not take pride on the defensive end. I've also never seen so much obvious stat padding in my life. Again, I'm not the only one, his teammates were rumored to be pissed about his defense rant because he was also not playing defense (In fact, that previous posession before the rant he just stands there), and the stat padding is obvious and has been called out. So what are you guys really arguing?

He stat pads, obvious. He takes a ton of plays off, obvious. He's been exploited, obvious. He's covering weak offensive players on the other teams (sometimes the worst), obvious from the games I've watched.

All the reasons why I consider him overrated.

And NovU, you can absolutley be considered biased towards LeBron, or in your words "Licking his balls", as you disregard the negative and only stand up for what you consider the positive. Also, it's quite obvious that you are biased towards the other forum members that are your "favorites", as you will never call them out, or make negative comments, or do a contest of anything they say even if you disagree with it, because that wouldn't be the cool thing to do. Shut your pointless mouth, fucking christ. If someone strongly favors a player to another player, and gives his stance on why, he is "Licking his balls", no dumbass, it's called a strong conviction on one player compared to another. Are you 8 years old? Those comments are reserved for 8 year olds, the licking balls comments. Grow up.

And Diamenz, I agree. It's not even close defensively, LeBron has one thing ahead of Jordan and that is size. I also think that way on offense, Jordan is light years ahead of James offensively, it's not even close. In pure basketball skill, Jordan beats him by a mile. Even Olajuwon said that you couldn't compare the two because it's not close (after working out with James).

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:08 pm

i cant get behind the opinion that lebron is overrated. the only way i would agree that he is overrated is when people say he is better than jordan was but i feel that more of a younger crowd underrating jordan than overrating lebron.
Sauru

Postby hova- on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:59 pm

Sauru wrote:i cant get behind the opinion that lebron is overrated. the only way i would agree that he is overrated is when people say he is better than jordan was but i feel that more of a younger crowd underrating jordan than overrating lebron.

That's it. I don't know about how much adversity and criticism Jordan had to face during his younger days when they got beaten by the Pistons, but LeBron definitely faced so many criticism that I never felt like he was overrated by the public. I watched every match when they lost in the Finals 2011 and basically everyone said it was his fault.

When the Heat lost to the Spurs LeBron haters came out again.

It's just his last three finals where he was really playing so well, that you had to give him the 'best player' status. But overrated? I don't know.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:24 pm

Jordan's overrated by nostalgia, he can't even get past a defensive sieve like Larry Bird.

Just look at the video.

You can also see Jordan padding his stats.
Dave Corzine had a mismatch with Dennis Johnson in the post, instead of passing it to Corzine and taking advantage of the mismatch for an easy bucket for the Bulls, Jordan chose to ignore his teammate with the big mismatch and shot the ball himself to pad his stats.

phpBB [video]
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:07 pm

shadowgrin wrote:Jordan's overrated by nostalgia, he can't even get past a defensive sieve like Larry Bird.

Jordan is underrated if you mention Lebron in the same sentence :mrgreen:

Stats can be a good starting point for comparing players, but there's also intangible.
LBJ stats in 2011 finals are ok, but he choked. Fact.
In 2014, Boris Diaw's stats are average, but he owned LBJ on many possessions.

Today LBJ has played more games than MJ. He has only 3 rings. Fact again.
Dont also forget that the rules have changed. Handchecking and no easy layup rule, i would love to see LBJ at the end of the 80's and begining of the 90's.

So nostalgia has nothing to do with skills, fundamentals and winning.
BTW, Larry was a solid defender, and it's MJ biggest game in playoffs.
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:41 am

Shawdowgrin, you sound like an idiot who is trying way to hard.

No, Jordan is on fire in this game. And he is unstoppable, he knows it. The two videos you have shown are laughable as attempts, anybody who is not blindly siding with you knows that.

And sticky is right on, first off: Bird is a good defender, and a great team defender. But even he said that if he had covered Jordan that whole game that Jordan would have even scored more.

The other thing he is right about, in any comparison with LeBron James, Jordan is vastly underrated. The mere thought that someone could watch both players and compare them skill wise is laughable. Jordan skill wise blows LeBron away by a mile.

And Hova, he did not play really well in last year's finals. He was exploited on defense, and he shot under 40% in the second half for the whole series. And like Sticky said, he did not play well in 2011 finals, or 2014, and he has been exploited numerous times in his career in the playoffs.

And, anybody without being biased can easily see that. The "haters" comments piss me off as well, because if you have a negative view of a player, or think that a comparison to another player is a joke, you are suddenly a "hater", which makes it sound like you are just saying negative things about him, or critiquing him, for the purpose of hating. It's an immature stance on it. So no, it's not "hating" or being a "hater".

And using the nostalgia argument is ridiculous. It's another cop-out in an attempt to discredit someone's obviously strong opinion. It's saying that the person's critiques have less meaning because he favors memories from his youth, instead of giving credit to the human minds ability to discern the two. Get that crap out of here. I have admitted numerous times that so many players in todays game would have success in the 80s, 90s, early 2000s. I have stated that the ball handling is better in todays NBA as well. Not every person who thinks a certain player is better from the past NBA is living in nostalgia, so let's drop that.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:04 am

The ball handling is better theses days, but the rule about "carrying the ball" (?) is also more permissive.
sticky-fingers

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball