2018 NBA All-Star Weekend

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: 2018 NBA All-Star Weekend

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Andrew wrote:They're a combined 7/31 from three in the first quarter. Players tossing up bricks and airballs from 40 feet out. A shame. It started out promising, but I think I'm out.

The all star game has become an embarrassment. It's turned into a joke really. I don't know how they can put incentive on it, but they need to find a way.

The problem is: Millions of dollars are at stake, so players won't risk getting injured, meaning effort will just be complete crap.

It's not worth watching.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:26 pm

I got my hopes up, but only a few players are really trying, and it's still the same impromptu three-point shootout. I've given it a fair chance over the past few years, but it's obviously changed from what I enjoyed, so best not to punish myself. I've switched it off; I'll leave it for the people who still enjoy it, and just call it a weekend at the conclusion of the dunk contest from here on out.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:37 pm

I just saw a full court trap in this game
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:41 pm

Andrew wrote:I got my hopes up, but only a few players are really trying, and it's still the same impromptu three-point shootout. I've given it a fair chance over the past few years, but it's obviously changed from what I enjoyed, so best not to punish myself. I've switched it off; I'll leave it for the people who still enjoy it, and just call it a weekend at the conclusion of the dunk contest from here on out.

Watch back it's interesting again, at least by All-Star standards.
Nothing you can do with Reggie Miller and Webber still commentating the game unfortunately.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Refs reviewing a call and getting it wrong in an ASG.
Sums up the officiating this season in the league.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:15 pm

Tuned back in for the final minute or so when I saw the score. Man, I don't know what Curry was thinking on that last play. At least it ended up being competitive, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:19 pm

Curry showing why he's never the Finals MVP, a glorified sidekick.

Captain LeBron a true leader leading his team to a clutch victory, a true legend of the game and all of sports.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Being a Sixers fan I love Embiid but he shouldn't have engaged some trash talk with LeBron, made the GOAT mad and lead his team to a victory on the way to an ASG MVP.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:32 pm

A great game. That last stop by LeBron-Durant on Curry might just be the greatest thing I ever saw. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed an All-Star game this much, maybe the 2012 Orlando All-Star one.

Also, I fucking hate Embiid. I didn't like the social media antics and his personality before but now after this weekend I just hate him. shadowgrin, how can you root for this punk even if he is reppin your city nigga?
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:38 pm

SoF'nAwesome wrote:shadowgrin, how can you root for this punk

Loyalty. Hustle. Respect. Word. Life.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby bowdown on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:39 pm

Lillard got to stunt on these hoe ass niggas with his 21 points at least.
bowdown

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Yeah he made great shots in the 4th, should have stayed for crunch time, D'Antoni with the questionable subs like removing his best defender Embiid (who made that crucial block) for a short time in the 4th when the game was close.
Not surprisingly the basket by LeBron in the paint to put his team ahead happened without Embiid.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby air gordon on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Good game, Super Friends. All hail the King

Lmao@ at the TV guys clowning Lowry during the 3pt contest
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:53 pm

bowdown wrote:Lillard got to stunt on these hoe ass niggas with his 21 points at least.

Yes, even though they lost, this was one good thing that came out of this.

This was the first all star game I watched in over 10 years and it did not disappoint. Sure, they're not going to play defense for 48 minutes, but this was as much defense as you could hope for in a meaningless game. You could see guys get competitive and Webber was correct in that playing a bit of defense actually creates more exciting plays as the degree of difficulty goes up as opposed to a glorified dunk contest/layup line

Internet is talking about that Fergie national anthem and how it was "cringeworthy". I actually skipped it but rewatched it once they were talking about it and I thought it was a perfectly fine performance if you knew what they were going for. It was an obvious nod to Marvin Gaye's 83 performance in LA and she sang the song in a different style (not sure what it's called but a like vintage jazz style)
She's no Marvin as he was able to sing the song his way and get people to clap along during the song but to me I appreciated that she sang it differently instead of the same way that everybody does.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackie Kong on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:06 pm

lol at Butler resting.
Jackie Kong

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:24 pm

Marco20 wrote:lol at Butler resting.

such a bitch move. if he wasn't going to play, he should have given his spot to somebody else. why just waste 1 spot when being an all-star is a big thing among the nba players

[Q] wrote:Internet is talking about that Fergie national anthem and how it was "cringeworthy". I actually skipped it but rewatched it once they were talking about it and I thought it was a perfectly fine performance if you knew what they were going for. It was an obvious nod to Marvin Gaye's 83 performance in LA and she sang the song in a different style (not sure what it's called but a like vintage jazz style)
She's no Marvin as he was able to sing the song his way and get people to clap along during the song but to me I appreciated that she sang it differently instead of the same way that everybody does.

the internet(specially reddit) just likes to bitch. nothing about that. one of the top comments was "she sexualized the national anthem", like HOW BRO? what was sexual about that performance? i liked the performance because it was a different take than the usual boring ones we get every game. also the constant shitting on marv albert. yes, he makes mistakes sometimes but overall he is a great commentator.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby NovU on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:43 pm

At least great fun ending.

SoF'nAwesome wrote:such a bitch move. if he wasn't going to play, he should have given his spot to somebody else. why just waste 1 spot when being an all-star is a big thing among the nba players

Kinda agree. If he wanted to rest, perhaps someone else should have been given a shot like Wade.

Perhaps though this rest was good for the Wolves as he leads the league in minutes per game.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:57 pm

I remember Karl Malone did that once (back in 2002, I believe), pulled out at the last minute so a replacement couldn't be named.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Apparently Butler was hungover. He was seen in an Instagram story taking shots(the getting drunk kind) at 4:00 in the morning
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Fine incoming, I imagine.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby big-shot-ROB on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:42 pm

Going watch the entire game some day this week. 10-minute recap seemed fine although quarters 2 and 3 appeared quite "skippable". I was expecting more flashy plays though.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:07 pm

lol Butler is weak, should never be an all-star again if he can't handle the partying.
The all-star weekends are days of partying for players, that's why we sometimes see players whom aren't participating in any all-star event or connection to the host city be in the crowd watching the events instead of getting their midseason rest.

Notable examples would be involving Iverson who supposedly partied for 3 days straight and played the 2001 ASG with minimal or no sleep.
Also the 2002 all-star weekend in Philly where he hosted 4 parties a day for 2 days straight. It showed in the ASG where no one played more than 25 minutes except for the boring Tim Duncan who probably drank milk before going to bed early, and Kobe who's not known to socialize even with his own teammates.

Even retired players still throw all-star parties like Kenny Smith every year.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby big-shot-ROB on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:14 pm

shadowgrin wrote:lol Butler is weak, should never be an all-star again if he can't handle the partying.
It showed in the ASG where no one played more than 25 minutes except for the boring Tim Duncan who probably drank milk before going to bed early, and Kobe who's not known to socialize even with his own teammates.

Good line, really intellectually and well-thought. Didnt expect that one based on your usual contributions.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby Murat on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 pm

shadowgrin wrote:
SoF'nAwesome wrote:shadowgrin, how can you root for this punk

Loyalty. Hustle. Respect. Word. Life.

THUGANOMIC STYLE
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jackal on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:53 am

A much better game than previous years, there were some moments some players resorted to the 3's but overall the starters really played a good game.

If they play like this in the coming years I'll definitely enjoy it more than the no defense trash of previous years. Really enjoyed the game this year.
Jackal

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball