Dirk re-signs with Mavs, takes huge pay cut

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Dirk re-signs with Mavs, takes huge pay cut

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:27 am

Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks Agree to 2-Year, $10 Million Contract

Dirk Nowitzki will return to the Dallas Mavericks for a 20th season, as the sides have agreed to a two-year contract, according to the team.

ESPN's Tim MacMahon first reported the deal was close.

MacMahon noted the length and added the deal is worth a total of $10 million, and it includes a team option as part of the second year.

The Mavericks declined Nowitzki's option for the 2017-18 season, but few expected the 13-time All-Star to leave Dallas this summer. ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported in June the team preferred to re-sign Nowitzki, with a source telling Stein the Mavs wanted to do "what Dirk wants."

Similarly, Nowitzki expressed a desire to remain with the Mavericks despite their 33-49 record, their fewest wins over an 82-game regular season since 1997-98.

"At the end of the day, I just can't imagine myself in a different uniform," he said in April, per the Associated Press' Schuyler Dixon (via NBA.com). "If we're rebuilding, then I'm the face of that."

He'll become the second player to play twenty seasons for the same team, with Kobe Bryant of course being the first. If he comes back for the second year of that deal, he'll obviously set a new record in that regard.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Dirk re-signs with Mavs, takes huge pay cut

Postby NovU on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Another reason to feel old. I remember vividly Dirk's team winning 50+ games every season for several straight years. Now he's part of the rebuilding process and on verge of retirement.

His unseen game signaled evolution of league, all teams went looking for stretch 4.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Jackal on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:16 pm

Dirk is the Mavs. Speaking of feeling old; that Michael Finley, Dirk & Nash team was something.

Dirk is going to get such a sweet front office job when he decides to hang them up, as a basketball fan I'm glad it's just not yet. He's no where close to what he used to be..but it feels good knowing he's still in the league with other legends such as Duncan, Kobe and Garnett gone.

Props to old man VC for hanging around too. I think he's a fucker for quitting on Toronto but gotta give him props for being serviceable for such a long stretch.
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:25 pm

Dirk has aged fairly gracefully, and his skillset has allowed him to remain effective in a smaller role. Can't say he hasn't been a team player.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Bruce on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:25 pm

Sometimes it feels like Dirk can legit hang around long enough for a second run at winning a ring with Dallas. lol
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Return to NBA & Basketball