Jerry West joining Clippers as a consultant

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Jerry West joining Clippers as a consultant

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:00 am

Jerry West leaving Warriors to join the Clippers

After six years as a special consultant, Jerry West is leaving the Golden State Warriors to take a similar job with the Los Angeles Clippers, SI.com has learned. West, who turned 79 as the NBA Finals began, made his decision over the last couple of weeks.

Known as the architect of two Laker championship teams as a general manager (Showtime in the decade of the 80s and the Kobe-Shaq threepeaters at the beginning of the century), West was not in a decision-making capacity with the Warriors. But he was a respected voice on personnel matters as Golden State turned from a laughingstock to a model franchise.

Certainly can't hurt, when you look at his track record. Of course, if CP3 walks, it's obviously going to be a long hike uphill, even with his sage advice.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Jerry West joining Clippers as a consultant

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:31 am

I am really curious about what the Clippers will do in the offseason.

I also think that Doc Rivers is one of the most overrated coaches of all time....
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:25 am

As overrated as Rivers is, it's still a huge upgrade over del Negro who was absolutely clueless..

Don't think West will help much. The clipper curse is too much to overcome
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:27 am

[Q] wrote:As overrated as Rivers is, it's still a huge upgrade over del Negro who was absolutely clueless..

Don't think West will help much. The clipper curse is too much to overcome

These are coaches I would take Doc Rivers over:

Vinny Del Negro (Totally agree with you)
Fred Hoiberg
Alvin Gentry

And even though he's not coaching anymore, I have to drop Byron Scott's name in here. I would take Doc over Scott....

But as a Celtics fan, nothing beats ML Carr and Rick Pitino. I hope a few years down the road the Clippers hire Rick Pitino somehow, and have a horrible season, so he can rant "Folks, Blake Griffin is not walking through that door, Chris Paul is not walking through that door, if they did, they would be grey and old!"
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:37 am

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:18 am

Agreed on all the overrated coaches mentioned, I would also add Avery Johnson to that list.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:25 am

shadowgrin wrote:Agreed on all the overrated coaches mentioned, I would also add Avery Johnson to that list.

He also wins for the most annoying voice. Can you imagine taking orders/advice from that guy? It would be like scratching a chalk board.

What's funny is, Mike D'Antoni was being called super overrated and a one hit wonder... before this recent success with the Rockets. Funny what one good year can do to someone's reputation.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jeffx on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:15 am

Everything West touches turns to gold.

HE'S the dude we need in NY.
Jeffx

Postby air gordon on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:28 am

Nah only butt hurt lakers fans hate d'antoni

Anyone that knows basketball thinks otherwise :lol:
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:07 am

Sad to see Jeffx like this, wanting nice things for his Knicks that will never happen anyway.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:33 am

I'll take Jud Buechler over Fred Hoiberg. More years spent playing with the Bulls you see, which as we know is crucial. ;)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:58 pm

steve kerr is an over rated coach right? i mean my 7 year old daughter could coach the warriors to a championship
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:08 pm

They were undefeated in the postseason with Mike Brown standing in, and had that huge run to start the 2016 season with Luke Walton handling things in his absence, so...maybe? It comes back to that old question of among the team's coach and best players, how much credit and blame does everyone deserve?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:32 pm

Sauru wrote:steve kerr is an over rated coach right? i mean my 7 year old daughter could coach the warriors to a championship

Kerr is a great coach. He achieved the ideal apex of what a coach/teacher should be, to coach/teach the players so well that they don't need a coach with the knowledge they learned.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Jackal on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:55 am

air gordon wrote:Nah only butt hurt lakers fans hate d'antoni

Anyone benching Gasol to start Earl Clark is a fucking moron and can only coach a certain type of team. Pop can modify his strategy to the players he has. Pringles can't do that. D'Antoni needs a ball dominant PG who can run the pick & roll, needs big men that can roll and shoot three's.

Give him post players and he's fucking clueless. It's why Houston didn't and won't get anywhere in the playoffs. Take out Harden and you've taken out the Rockets. He couldn't make it work with the Lakers nor the Knicks. When he had Lin running the pick & roll he was fine but take that out and the team wasn't very successful.

I don't define that as a good coach. A good coach adapts to the players he has and plays to their strengths.

Also...Earl fuckin Clark? Come on.
Jackal

Postby Stress Fracture on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:16 am

Jackal wrote:Give him post players and he's fucking clueless. It's why Houston didn't and won't get anywhere in the playoffs. Take out Harden and you've taken out the Rockets. He couldn't make it work with the Lakers nor the Knicks. When he had Lin running the pick & roll he was fine but take that out and the team wasn't very successful.

Didn't seem to be clueless with Nené and Capela out there.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby air gordon on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:23 am

Jackal wrote:
air gordon wrote:Nah only butt hurt lakers fans hate d'antoni

Anyone benching Gasol to start Earl Clark is a fucking moron and can only coach a certain type of team. Pop can modify his strategy to the players he has. Pringles can't do that. D'Antoni needs a ball dominant PG who can run the pick & roll, needs big men that can roll and shoot three's.

Give him post players and he's fucking clueless. It's why Houston didn't and won't get anywhere in the playoffs. Take out Harden and you've taken out the Rockets. He couldn't make it work with the Lakers nor the Knicks. When he had Lin running the pick & roll he was fine but take that out and the team wasn't very successful.

I don't define that as a good coach. A good coach adapts to the players he has and plays to their strengths.

Also...Earl fuckin Clark? Come on.

Yes let it out! Feels good huh? Bringing gasol off the bench turned out to be a good move though as Pop did it.

Is Phil Jackson a bad coach? He's a system coach.

Houston's problem isn't d'antoni. I'm sure stress can lay it out for you
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:54 am

air gordon wrote:Yes let it out! Feels good huh? Bringing gasol off the bench turned out to be a good move though as Pop did it.

That's way later in his career though. Gasol was still playing well enough to be a starter on pretty much every other team in the league at that time. He started alongside Aldridge at the start of this season for the most part.

Jackson could be considered a bad coach given how things are going in NY at the moment. He doesn't adapt to the players he has as well and forces his system on players. He also made some questionable moves such as trying to get Vujacic to play SG on the Knicks because he knew the triangle. Jackson is a good ego manager/motivator, X's and O's not so much. I think Tex was more X's and O's in that aspect.

Houston ain't winning shit with the way they play ball.

You can try to make my opinions sound petty and that's cool, but it won't change the fact the Lakers sucked with Mike & he wasn't able to replicate success anywhere else without a star PG. Dude is a great offensive mind but unable to deal with players who need to be convinced of his style and can't adapt to changes. That makes him a bad coach in my book. Awesome offensive coordinator? Sure. Changed the way the game is played today? Sure. A good overall coach? Not to me.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. Opinions differ...to each their own.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:15 am

Jackal wrote:
air gordon wrote:Yes let it out! Feels good huh? Bringing gasol off the bench turned out to be a good move though as Pop did it.

That's way later in his career though. Gasol was still playing well enough to be a starter on pretty much every other team in the league at that time. He started alongside Aldridge at the start of this season for the most part.

Jackson could be considered a bad coach given how things are going in NY at the moment. He doesn't adapt to the players he has as well and forces his system on players. He also made some questionable moves such as trying to get Vujacic to play SG on the Knicks because he knew the triangle. Jackson is a good ego manager/motivator, X's and O's not so much. I think Tex was more X's and O's in that aspect.

Houston ain't winning shit with the way they play ball.

You can try to make my opinions sound petty and that's cool, but it won't change the fact the Lakers sucked with Mike & he wasn't able to replicate success anywhere else without a star PG. Dude is a great offensive mind but unable to deal with players who need to be convinced of his style and can't adapt to changes. That makes him a bad coach in my book. Awesome offensive coordinator? Sure. Changed the way the game is played today? Sure. A good overall coach? Not to me.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. Opinions differ...to each their own.

Im not being sarcastic here. I acknowledge your issues. I'd feel bitter if I was in the same spot

As great as he was, Gasoline's was heading past his prime. It wasnt a good fit with Howard anyway. and I don't know how Pop got Pau to buy in on a bench role. He's quite a prideful guy but it's been a long time coming

The other side to your argu ment of bad coach "overall"-
There aren't many coaches that do well without a star pg or whichever position to run their system

A lot of "good" coaches lean on their assistants:
Phil Jackson had Tex winter as the architect of the offense AND Johnny Bach who ran the doberman defense

Rivers had thibs as his defensive guru. Ron Adams the same for Steve kerr

I meant stress.. As in stress fracture
Glad "Pringles" is back in the league
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Stress Fracture on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:39 am

How can you consider a coach to be "bad" when he doesn't have players fit in his system? Oh wait, the Lakers could've run pick and rolls back then all day, but Gasol didn't buy it, and Howard was just a pussy back then.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Jackal on Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Revisionist history at its best.

"Gasol didn't buy it." Gasol and Bryant ran a ton of pick & roll (or pop in Gasol's case). D'Antoni catered to Howard (who refused to run the pick & roll with motherfucking Steve Nash) and wanted post touches. Had Gasol camping at the three point for outlet passes and half way through the season abandoned all forms of an offense and said..move the ball and take a shot. Let's not forget Dwight couldn't seem to catch a pass to the extent that people thought he was using some type of adhesive down in Orlando to help him grip the ball.

I can consider a coach bad when you've got three legit all stars and you bench one of them for Earl fuckin Clark. I can call him a bad coach when you've got three pretty much locked for first ballot HoF'ers and can't devise an offensive scheme that will work given the talents they have and not what you need to run a 7 seconds or less offense.

But good riddance. Glad he's successful again down in Houston but it won't change the fact I think he's not a good coach. Like I said...to each their own.
Jackal

Postby Sauru on Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:22 pm

if i remember the howard days in LA it was something like this "i am the best fucking player in the nba so give me the ball whenever the fuck i want it" - howard "lol no you aint" -everyone else
Sauru

Postby air gordon on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:36 pm

So who do you hate more- d'antoni or Howard?
Jump.
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:58 am

I would say Dwight Coward. He was the one that wanted to leave Orlando. He wanted to go to Brooklyn but that didn't work out so he settled for LA and gave up quick, checked out mentally when he realized he wasn't going to be the man. He needed another team like Orlando where he was the star.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:20 am

air gordon wrote:So who do you hate more- d'antoni or Howard?

I don't dislike Mike, he is what he is and you can't expect every coach to be Pop. It annoys me he couldn't adapt as a coach but I wish him well wherever he goes.

Dwight Howard can go sit on a pineapple though. Like Q said, that dude quit. Watching years of Kobe you get used to the never say die attitude and Howard just quitting annoys the shit out of me. It's the same with Gasol in the Mavericks series the last Jackson year. He had some shit going on with his fiance or something with rumors of Brown hooking up with her and he had just mentally checked out, I think.

If Steve Nash, who is one of the best passers and workers of all time, don't have a good thing to say about you...I'm pretty sure you're a shitty team-mate.

Sauru wrote:if i remember the howard days in LA it was something like this "i am the best fucking player in the nba so give me the ball whenever the fuck i want it" - howard "lol no you aint" -everyone else

You really gotta stop making me like you. I get tingles in my balls when I see your name.

Seriously though, that's basically it. Nash went on record to say he really, really didn't want to run the PnR and was looking to be a more back to the basket player a la Shaq in LA.
Jackal

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball