A look back at David Robinson's 71 point game

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

A look back at David Robinson's 71 point game

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:18 pm

The night the Spurs’ David Robinson took the 1994 scoring title from Shaq

All is fair in love and war, and since battle terminology is often the metaphor used in sports, for better or worse, let’s discuss the day the San Antonio Spurs and David Robinson successfully staged a coup to overtake the Orlando Magic’s Shaquille O’Neal for the 1993-94 scoring title.

The Admiral’s battle plan was simple: Stay in the game for as long as he could and take every opportunity to score.

Definitely an interesting read, especially in light of Devin Booker's 70 point game this season, and some of the criticism of it being manufactured.

Spurs coach John Lucas had the team feed Robinson the ball even when he was double- and triple-teamed for much of the 44 minutes he played to help Robinson score 71 points against the Los Angeles Clippers on April 24, 1994.

The Spurs’ method proved infuriating for purists: Robinson’s teammates began fouling Clippers players to get back on offense quicker, even though the Spurs were blowing out Los Angeles.

Said Magic coach Brian Hill to the Chicago Tribune: “We certainly wanted Shaquille to win the title. But we didn’t make a mockery of the game like they did in Los Angeles.”

“Those were a legit 71 points. He played 44 minutes when he should have played 48,” Lucas told the Los Angeles Times.

“It would have been nice, but 50 wins was more important to me than the scoring title,” O’Neal told reporters.

“I heard they ran every play to [Robinson]. If that would have happened down here, I would have 70 points, too. I didn’t care,” the San Antonio Express-News quoted O’Neal as telling the Associated Press.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: A look back at David Robinson's 71 point game

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:17 am

This game has some mystery to it. I've always tried to find the actual broadcast footage, local broadcast (because it wasn't a nationally televised game) and nothing. I can only find highlights of it from a funky camera angle on youtube.

Was this game not part of the local broadcast? It had to have been for atleast one or both of the teams. Why is there no broadcast footage?

My take on him "going for it" is... well.. eh. The Spurs were a playoff team no matter what, and that game wouldn't have impacted seeding. So in the last game of the season, you have the Admiral going all out on the court, attacking double and triple teams, risking an injury for a scoring title? I'm not saying they should have rested him, but forcing shots against multiple defenders in order to achieve a record that means squat in comparison to a title (which clearly, they did not win), just makes me feel a little shitty about the accomplishment.

Don't get me wrong, I love Robinson, he's a legend. But, it makes me wonder if that situation sparked Shaqs dislike for him later on, Shaq has even gone on record to say that he believes Robinson is soft.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: A look back at David Robinson's 71 point game

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:26 am

Heres the footage. It also sounds like a radio broadcast:

phpBB [video]

And, Shaq may have lied about David Robinson just to gain an edge.

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Return to NBA & Basketball