LaVar Ball reckons he'd destroy MJ one-on-one

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

LaVar Ball reckons he'd destroy MJ one-on-one

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:05 am

Because, you know, a guy who averaged 2 ppg in college would certainly destroy His Airness.

"Back in my heyday, I would kill Michael Jordan one-on-one," Ball said Monday, per Josh Peter of USA Today.

The father of UCLA star Lonzo Ball and Chino Hills High School players LiAngelo and LaMelo Ball believes he would have used his size at 6'6", 270 pounds to his advantage.

"I would just back (Jordan) in and lift him off the ground and call a foul every time he fouls me when I do a jump hook to the right or the left," Ball said. "He cannot stop me one-on-one. He better make every shot ’cause he can't go around me. He's not fast enough. And he can only make so many shots outside before I make every bucket under the rim."

phpBB [video]

Yeah, he's promoting his sons and looking for attention. I get it. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be called out for his stupidity and tiresome bragging, though. I have to admit, part of me hopes all his kids are massive busts, just to see what kind of verbal and mental gymnastics he'd perform to try and save face.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: LaVar Ball reckons he'd destroy MJ one-on-one

Postby Sauru on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:12 am

at some point people are going to need to start questioning this mans mental state
Sauru

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:23 am

You have to be kidding me...
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Of course, he gets attention doing this, so I guess the joke's on us. Mind you, I've seen people elsewhere point out his interesting choice of words:

"A billion dollars, it has to be there," Ball said. "That's our number, a billion, straight out of the gate. And you don't even have to give it to me all up front. Give us $100 mil over 10 years."

Not "you don't even have to give it to them all up front"; "you don't even have to give it to me all up front".

Talk about living through your kids, and using them to cash in on a fortune. Pretty scummy.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:33 pm

i find it funny how people were calling him a good father because his sons can play basketball when to me he seems more like joe jackson
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:45 pm

I wonder if he'll end up scaring teams away from his sons. After all, they've got to know that they won't just be dealing with the kids, they'll be dealing with him, too. That might be more of a headache than teams care to tolerate.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:13 pm

this is why i really hope the celtics get the first pick and not the second
Sauru

Postby Bruce on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:53 pm

What a trashy attitude from the dad. I hope the kids are nothing like him. The press should just stop talking to him.

I don't even know if Lonzo is worth the #2 pick overall. Lonzo looks more like Kevin Martin than Steph Curry. And Lonzo's skinny frame looks as if he would get abused in the big leagues in his rookie season.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Bruce wrote:What a trashy attitude from the dad. I hope the kids are nothing like him. The press should just stop talking to him.

I don't even know if Lonzo is worth the #2 pick overall. Lonzo looks more like Kevin Martin than Steph Curry. And Lonzo's skinny frame looks as if he would get abused in the big leagues in his rookie season.

I made the same comparison last week (To Kevin Martin), and the two guys I was talking to looked at me like I had three heads. Lonzo Ball, with his game as it is right now, not only shoots like Kevin Martin, but he actually moves a lot like Kevin Martin. He might be a better passer (But we havn't seen him at the next level yet, so who knows).

The way the father acts is actually concerning, I don't think it's funny, It poses a lot of questions for me. I mean, it's easy to think "These kids have it made", but can you imagine the way he talks to them in private? Can you see how what he's doing can be totally destructive mentally to his 3 boys? He also reminds me of a young actor or actresses Father, who absolutely will do whatever he can to live through his child and make bank while he does it.

The whole thing stinks.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Dee4Three wrote:The way the father acts is actually concerning, I don't think it's funny, It poses a lot of questions for me. I mean, it's easy to think "These kids have it made", but can you imagine the way he talks to them in private? Can you see how what he's doing can be totally destructive mentally to his 3 boys? He also reminds me of a young actor or actresses Father, who absolutely will do whatever he can to live through his child and make bank while he does it.

The whole thing stinks.

Spot on. The comparison to a stage parent is an apt one, too. Either that, or the obnoxious Little League parent taken to the max, given his kids have made it through to a higher level.

Even if he isn't being openly nasty or cruel to them in private, there are some potentially very damaging lessons being taught. They're certainly not being taught humility, though there's a lot of entitlement being instilled in them. What happens if they don't succeed at the NBA level, or if success doesn't come straight away? Will they put in the hard work to improve and earn their place in the league, or will they pout and blame everyone else for supposedly holding them back*? Will they be able to deal with disappointments and setbacks; can they cope with failure? Will he be supportive, or will he wash his hands of them for being "losers" (as if he's a big success himself)?

* I can absolutely see this being the excuse LaVar trots out.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:28 pm

Bruce wrote:What a trashy attitude from the dad. I hope the kids are nothing like him. The press should just stop talking to him.

the press wont stop talking to him for the same reason new outlets constantly bombard us with stories of racism. the angrier people are about something the more they tune in. if he was acting normal no one would know or care about him at all
Sauru

Postby Sauru on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:31 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
The way the father acts is actually concerning, I don't think it's funny, It poses a lot of questions for me. I mean, it's easy to think "These kids have it made", but can you imagine the way he talks to them in private? Can you see how what he's doing can be totally destructive mentally to his 3 boys? He also reminds me of a young actor or actresses Father, who absolutely will do whatever he can to live through his child and make bank while he does it.

The whole thing stinks.

this is why i said he reminds me of joe jackson. i have no doubts that these kids have been the subject to some serious verbal abuse
Sauru

Postby Stress Fracture on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:08 pm

Damn, now I hope Lonzo turns into a bust and his brothers get schooled in high school. That's just plain arrogance
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Sauru wrote:the press wont stop talking to him for the same reason new outlets constantly bombard us with stories of racism. the angrier people are about something the more they tune in. if he was acting normal no one would know or care about him at all

Very true, sadly. And it worked. Here we are, talking about him. We're scoffing at him, but we're talking about him all the same. It's been proven that articles and other content that cause outrage or are otherwise provocative get shared more and receive more responses than ones that are more even-handed or have a positive slant (unless of course a positive point of view is an unpopular opinion, in which case there is outrage).

Of course, by the same token, it's been demonstrated that "any publicity is good publicity" has its limits. Not everyone is coated in Teflon; one big mistake, one scandal, one time pushing the envelope too far can be someone's downfall. Controversy and brashness sells, until everyone grows tired of the act because it's no longer fresh (not that it ever really was, of course).

Gilbert Arenas is a good example of that. In the beginning, his chip-on-the-shoulder and candid personality were admittedly entertaining, and part of a feel-good story. He was a guy who was heavily doubted, used it as motivation to prove his doubters wrong and establish himself as a star, and created a bit of a persona along the way. Fast forward a few years, and the act was tired, his attitude gratingly bitter and jaded ("Seriously, you're still going on about that?"). His career fizzled, and he became the guy who didn't reach his full potential as a star, with a penchant for spouting ignorant and ridiculous things on social media just to remain relevant.

It's hard to hold back talent, but talent can certainly hold itself back.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:38 pm

i gotta say that so far at least the attitude seems to stop with dad but we will see. sure lemelo is cocky as hell but what high school kid is not? sadly no matter how nice these kids may or may not be they will be targeted because of their father
Sauru

Postby Bruce on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:13 pm

These people could become the Kardashians of basketball.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Jackal on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:55 pm

Sauru wrote:this is why i really hope the celtics get the first pick and not the second

This is why I'm hoping a package of the pick + Julius/Clarkson might fetch PG13. :| If they do keep the pick that is. Image
Jackal

Postby mp3 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:03 am

The guy also wants a billion dollar contract shoe deal for his 3 sons combined, think that is more realistic than the Jordan thing
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:24 am

The way he worded it though, it's obvious he's angling for a big slice of said shoe deal.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:05 am

zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Jeffx on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:45 pm

Richard Williams was wacky at times, but Venus & Serena turned out to be the real deal.

It'll be interesting to see how these young cats turn out.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:41 am

Says his size would help him destroy MJ. Goes on to say Barkley, another Hall of Famer who has achieved way more than desperately trying to live through his kids, is too big.

I mean, Chuck says some silly things at times, but at least the guy's an all-time great in the sport. It doesn't automatically make him right (incidentally, that goes for you too, Shaq), but he's earned the right to talk a little trash. LaVar Ball has not.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:56 am

its really sad that this mans kids are going to be the most hated players in the league (if more than 1 can even make it) simply because he cannot shut his mouth
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:25 am

Even if they don't end up being hated, he's setting the bar really, really high. Obnoxiously, unrealistically high.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:20 pm

Jackal

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball