Boston Celtics Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Boston Celtics Thread

Postby JaoSming on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:14 am

Sauru wrote:i would be satisfied to say the least if the celtics could land a top 3 pick 2 years in a row

So, with the deadline this week, try to "win now" by giving up one or both picks, or wait it out and hope IT & friends are somewhat still together and playing well in 2-5 years.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Sauru on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:31 am

JaoSming wrote:
Sauru wrote:i would be satisfied to say the least if the celtics could land a top 3 pick 2 years in a row

So, with the deadline this week, try to "win now" by giving up one or both picks, or wait it out and hope IT & friends are somewhat still together and playing well in 2-5 years.

there is no win it now situation for the celtics. we could add any player in the league and still dont win. i am also not sold on thomas being a long term superstar. the celtics entered rebuilding mode and are well ahead of the game. why throw it away just to maybe beat the cavs and earn the right to lose in the finals? thats a big maybe by the way. i think adding butler we still dont make the finals
Last edited by Sauru on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sauru

Postby big-shot-ROB on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:41 pm

Sauru wrote:
JaoSming wrote:

there is no win it now situation for the celtics. we could add any player in the league and still dont win. i am also not sold on thomas being a long term superstar. the celtics entered rebuilding mode and are well ahead of the game. why throw it away just to maybe beat the cavs and earn the right to lose in the finals? thats a big maybe by the way. i think adding butler we will dont make the finals

+1.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:45 pm

See, you're assuming they'd have to give up those Brooklyn picks for Butler. This is GarPax we're talking about; at most, the Celtics would have to give up a second rounder, a first rounder with so much protection they won't end up actually having to give it to the Bulls, and the worst contract they've got.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:10 am

Sauru wrote:
JaoSming wrote:

there is no win it now situation for the celtics. we could add any player in the league and still dont win. i am also not sold on thomas being a long term superstar. the celtics entered rebuilding mode and are well ahead of the game. why throw it away just to maybe beat the cavs and earn the right to lose in the finals? thats a big maybe by the way. i think adding butler we will dont make the finals

Some good points here. A few things to consider-
What to do with IT if you don't think he's a superstar?? He's due for a big payday after next and will be turning 29.
How long will Horford stay productive? Will he still be at a starter level player when the celts are ready to contend?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:40 am

I'm glad we didn't make a move for Boogie. He hasn't had a 30 win season in 5 years, an overall win % of .353 since 2011, and I do think he had some talent around him at times. They went through numerous coaches, and he was still uncoachable. I personally think he's a cancer to a team, and I don't think he would fit in well with Boston. I personally just don't think he's a winner. Christ, I think I read that if he gets one more T he is suspended for a playoff game, a contender can't have that.

I do think Butler fits in better, and if we could swing Butler and a player like Noel, I do think we can possibly get to the finals (but gsw would still be a tall order).

Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if we just finish with what we have and see what happens next year. I think Ainge did the right thing by not pushing for a Cousins deal.

We need backup for IT in scoring, I agree. The end of the Bulls game bothered me, because he got blocked right underneath the hoop and chucked up an air ball, all because the attention was exclusively on him and he was trying to do everything.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:25 am

Andrew wrote:See, you're assuming they'd have to give up those Brooklyn picks for Butler. This is GarPax we're talking about; at most, the Celtics would have to give up a second rounder, a first rounder with so much protection they won't end up actually having to give it to the Bulls, and the worst contract they've got.

ok if we are adding butler without losing the picks then we can talk. personally i would not mind moving thomas for butler (to answeer gordon) since we will probably be getting either fultz or ball in the draft. also i agree, i am happy we did not bring cousins in
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:13 am

A few bags of popcorn and a couple of leftover Celtic Pride DVDs. That'll probably get the Butler deal done, knowing GarPax.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:42 am

i dont think the negotiations will get serious until Ainge is willing to put at least one of the picks in the deal. no sense in doing the deal for the bulls.

IT is great but i don't see the it happening for both sides with him in the deal.

honestly dont think anythings happening until the offseason. bulls brass wants to make the playoffs and its a wiser move to make a deal for the pick when you know which pick it is
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby NovU on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:50 am

Brooklyn's pick would be awesome. But I would want more than that for Jimmy Butler. Hopely Garpax can squeeze out little more if the deal goes through. IT + Brookly's pick would make my day. Let's go.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby air gordon on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:57 am

be great for the bulls but i don't see how that betters the Celts for a title run if they are including IT in a deal

i'm curious to see how this goes down. how patient does Ainge remain and how will negotiations go with a team that's not run by Mchale?? what we need is atlanta or toronto to make another trade to put some pressure on Ainge to make a deal
Jump.
air gordon

Postby NovU on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Yeah, it's a wishful thinking.

I think Jaylen Brown + couple picks + filler(Amir?) for Jimmy would work. That would be win for the Celtics as they have a legit shot this year. But that also would mean Bulls entering rebuilding mode. It would be nice to watch Jaylen leading the rebuilding Bulls team. I would like Wade to be traded to a playoffs team tho if anything like that happens.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby air gordon on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:39 pm

sorry i don't think anyone's trading for wade's salary if he opts in. i know its a clownhouse in chicago but would he really walk away from 20+ million?

don't know much about brown. enlighten me lol
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Sauru on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:48 pm

i would be pissed if the celtics made any of these deals being mentioned here. i only hope ainge is smart enough to see that there is 0% chance of the celtics winning it all this season so he decides to play the long game. we are in this spot because brooklyn went for it, i dont want to see the celtics make the same mistake
Sauru

Postby air gordon on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Do you honestly think Boston will get Butler without trading the 2017 pick and 1 or 2 of smart, brown, Crowder?

Sorry this isn't Brooklyn or McHale you're dealing with.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby NovU on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Fair point. gordie

CHI management seems to be in tough position because doing anything drastic would mean admitting to a failure.

Sauru wrote:play the long game.

What exactly is this long game?
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Sauru on Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:20 pm

air gordon wrote:Do you honestly think Boston will get Butler without trading the 2017 pick and 1 or 2 of smart, brown, Crowder?

Sorry this isn't Brooklyn or McHale you're dealing with.

not at all which is why i dont want to make the deal at all. i prefer to move thomas while his value is high and avoid another rondo situation.
Sauru

Postby Sauru on Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:22 pm

NovU wrote:

building a team that can compete for championships for several years. 3-4 years from now when this years rookies will really start to come into their own is when lebron will be past his prime and the warriors will have broken up. it will be the perfect time for the celtics to step in and start winning some more rings. trying to win this year at the expense of the future is stupid as shit unless you are the warriors/cavs
Sauru

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:17 am

Sauru wrote:
NovU wrote:

building a team that can compete for championships for several years. 3-4 years from now when this years rookies will really start to come into their own is when lebron will be past his prime and the warriors will have broken up. it will be the perfect time for the celtics to step in and start winning some more rings. trying to win this year at the expense of the future is stupid as shit unless you are the warriors/cavs

With all due respect, I think you are being dramatic. You stated above that we have a 0% chance to win this year no matter who we get, and I completely disagree with that. I think that's a major exaggeration. Cleveland in January was a huge flop (7-8), they were playing bad basketball, and Lebron had a fit. It takes getting Cleveland frustrated, and they could certainly drop a series. It also could take an injury (For example, Love being out or not at 100%) for a series to turn. So, I think the Celtics are in a possible "We can pull this off this year" mode, and I see where they are coming from if that's the thought process. Also, the Warriors don't look as good to me this year watching them, Green/Durant chemistry isn't good (numerous times screaming at eachother during timeouts and on the floor), and Steph isn't back to his old self yet. And remember, Steph was hurt in last years finals, and all's it takes is someone to be banged up.

I am not throwing the towel in on this season, I want to make a serious run, and I think the Celtics front office has that in mind. This doesn't mean we have to destroy our future. If we decide to make a move, it could involve one pick and a young player sure, but we will still be young and have the ability to grow. The 0% chance comment is not accurate.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:34 am

I can see where Sauru is coming from. It sucks to put together a really good squad, only to have them peak at a time when another team is ruling the roost, as opposed to coming into their own when the field seems more wide open. Of course, there's no guarantee that patience will result in the latter, and you have to take opportunities when they fall into your lap.

As much as I don't want to see the Bulls trade Butler, and at the same time want them to get as much as possible for him if they are indeed hell bent on doing so, from the Celtics perspective, if they can get him without sacrificing all their picks and a vital player, it'd be foolish not to seriously entertain such a deal.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:18 pm

Fair point Sauru, mostly because superstars come with hefty price tag in this league. The Celtics are going to have to give up a lot to land one, unless get lucky with a desperate team with unhappy superstar.

But I gotta add playing card of Celtics' stockpile of pick drafting is still a low probability game. Every team knows you can't win a championship without at least one superstar on the team. Drafting is just one way to get them. Keeping/Developing them adds to the story too. Also what guarantee is there, there won't be no dominant team after LBJ or Curry era and you timely have the superstars ready to go by then.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:54 am

With the Pistons shopping Andre Drummond, and me realizing that he's only 23, I am actually intrigued. That's the age of some rookies who spent 4 years in college, and this is now his 5th year in the league. Hes averaging his highest RPG per 36 minutes (16.4), and he can put the ball in the basket. While his FT shooting is woeful, I think his upside is really high. Do we really see anybody in next years draft turning into Andre Drummond in the form of a dominant rebounding big? He's also been free of injuries, and has not had any reputation issues.

If I were Danny, and could swing Drummond and a scorer, I would have to strongly consider those moves. At first I balked at the idea of Drummond, but getting Drummond doesn't set us back at all, hes freakin 23 years old and averaging 14.6 PPG, 13.8 RPG, 1.7 SPG and 1.2 BPG and shooting over 52% from the floor this season. He also gives Horford the ability to comfortably play on that high post. I would rather have a big like Drummond who can gobble up offensive boards than one who is hanging out at the perimeter as a stretch big.

Thoughts?

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:39 am

I agree with Dee. Celts have a chance. Why are teams so scared of the cavs and or warriors?

Celts playing with house $. As novu said it's hard to get a superstar. Thomas contract being up next year and big al still useful, why not go for it (and then get bogut)

Drummond is an interesting acquisition. They def need the rebounding and rim protection
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Sauru on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:29 pm

i dont think its a matter of being scared of those two teams its a matter of reality. if KD would have signed with boston i would be here saying send every pick we got away and lets win it this season but since it didnt go that way i am saying i rather them be patient. we are still a head of schedule on the rebuild
Sauru

Postby NovU on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:49 pm

LoL. Drummond after all these years still can't make 1/2 the free throws. Where is benji now?
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball