Olympic Basketball Tournament

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Olympic Basketball Tournament

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:40 am

koberulz wrote:Is there a sport that's been dominated this much by one country, though? There are countries that are weak in various sports, but the US was 133-5 or something like that in Olympic history before this tournament.

By the numbers, not quite to the same extent. A quick Wikipedia search reveals that the Soviet Union still holds the record for gold and total medals in artistic gymnastics, despite having fallen over two decades ago and not competing since 1988. Japan has dominated judo, Hungary and Sweden are way out in front in the modern pentathlon; Hungary also leads in water polo. France has a significant lead in cycling, South Korea in Taekwondo, Russia in rhythmic gymnastics and synchronised swimming. It should also be noted that the USA has, by and large, dominated the athletics events: 335 gold medals, and 799 in total. Great Britain is second with 201 total, while the Soviet Union is still in third place with 193. After that, it's Finland with 114. As a nation, the US has ended up on top in most of the Olympic Games so far.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:48 am

Andrew wrote:the Soviet Union still holds the record for gold and total medals in artistic gymnastics
I said sport.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:26 am

Fair enough, shots fired. :lol:
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:14 am

International ice hockey is pretty much dominated by Canada, Russia, Czech republic, Finland, Sweden and USA.

There are no talks to make it more competitive for teams like Spain, United Arab Emirates, North Korea or Australia.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby koberulz on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:54 am

That's six countries. That's a lot.

How many times has the US failed to win gold? Three? One of those was an absolute screwjob, and only one has occurred in the professional era. I don't think there are any other sports with that level of domination by a single country over that long a period of time. 17 gold, one silver, two bronze in 20 Olympic tournaments.
koberulz

Postby [Q] on Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:22 am

It would be like if they made American Football an Olympic sport. We would dominate because no one else really plays the game
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby koberulz on Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:18 am

Plenty of other countries play basketball, I'm not sure that's quite a fair statement.

But I doubt there's any event where one country has won gold 85% of the time since the mid-30s.
koberulz

Postby koberulz on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:47 pm

Anyone happen to know who did the commentary for the France-Serbia game on USA?
koberulz

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball