How do you get to enable D3D as video-driver???

Talk about NBA Live 95-2002 here.

How do you get to enable D3D as video-driver???

Postby Blacknek on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:49 am

HI there,

installed my favourit NBA Live (besides 95). Works without CTD on my Windows XP.
As long as I use Software-Renderer. Now there are some tips on this forum how to evade CTD and crashes while playing with 3D-card enabled.

Yet I can't even chose anything else than software-renderer.

I tried the trick with the 2001 demo and the direct-X-files. No good.

How do you get to enable the hardware-3d-support?
(I don't think you're using voodoo-cards, as far as I remembet the game was written for the glide-software, right?)

Please help, I would enjoy this great game so much more with adequate looks...

BTW: I have a Radeon AIW 800 XT on the newest Omega-Drivers. Using the original ATI-drivers is no difference though.

Greets
Blacknek

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:57 pm

It should be just a matter of using the NBA Live 2000 3D Setup (found in the Program Group in the Start Menu) and selecting your card rather than the Software Renderer.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby zmyoo on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:16 am

i recently tried to play live2000 to my laptop and i also have problem seeing any other choices under 3D Setup. Software Renderer is my only choice.

Live2000, in my opinion, is the best of all the Live series. i have been coming to this site long time but i just signed up for an account. good to know there are others who still love this game as much as i do.
zmyoo

Found working solution

Postby st_patriick on Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:36 pm

I've finally found a working solution. I cannot guarantee it will work for everybody, but I've managed to enable the D3D mode on my Radeon 9800 and got the game to work without errors or crashes.

What you will need:
NBA Live 2001 demo - just Google it. There are still some sites where you can download it.

Install the 2001 demo and go to the installation folder (default: c:\Program Files\EA SPORTS\NBA Live 2001 Demo).

Step 1:
Next copy 3DSetup.exe and 3DSetup.dll (NOT the ini file) to the setup folder of your NBA Live 2000 installation (default: c:\Program Files\EA SPORTS\NBA Live 2000\setup)

Rationale: The newer 3DSetup from Live 2001 should be able to detect your newer graphics hardware. You must leave the 3dsetup.ini file intact, because it tells the 3DSetup where to write the configuration in the windows registry.

Step 2:
Run the 3DSetup from the Live 2000 start menu. Now you should be able to select the appropriate option describing your graphics card.

If you still see only the software renderer, you either did something wrong in Step 1 or even the Live 2001 3DSetup cannot detect your 3D card. In this case you still have the option to edit the configuration in the registry yourself. If you've never used regedit before, I strongly recommend you to get assistance from someone who has good knowledge of the Windows Registry.

Optional step 2A (Proceed only at your own risk):
Run regedit.exe and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA SPORTS\NBA Live 2000
Change the "Hardware Acceleration" value to 1
Change the "Thrash Driver" value to dx

Again, you won't have to do this if Step 2 worked fine.

Step 3:
Try running the game. If it works fine, you're lucky. More likely you will get an error message reporting some "Unhandled exception" and the game will crash.

In that case copy the dx7z.dll file from the Live 2001 Demo installation folder to 3rash folder in Live 2000 (default: c:\Program Files\EA SPORTS\NBA Live 2000\3rash).
Rename dx7z.dll to dx6z.dll and confirm that you want to overwrite the original file.

The procedure in Step 3 is not my original idea and it was reported in this forum some time ago.

If you followed the described steps correctly, your NBA Live 2000 should now work in D3D mode without major problems.
st_patriick

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:10 am

Nice.
I'm not going to or even have the chance to try it but your detailed explanation may be able to help community members that need it. (Y)
Detailed help is hard to come by these days.
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Return to NBA Live Vintage