4 Key Gameplay Upgrades in NBA Live 16

Talk about NBA Live 16 here.

4 Key Gameplay Upgrades in NBA Live 16

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:35 am

Article: http://livetoplay.ea.com/article/4-key- ... ba-live-16

Some overlap with the previous article detailing gameplay improvements, but some key points of interest:

Fans will notice many small changes to gameplay in NBA LIVE 16 that improve ball handling – including dribble handoffs. “It’s a huge part of the NBA and it’s a new mechanic that’s going to open up so many different opportunities on the court,” says producer Connor Dougan.

There are also new driving animations with a smoother and more responsive dribble system in NBA LIVE 16. “We’ve been building tech for over two years now that serves as the foundation for what we will deliver in NBA LIVE 16,” says executive producer Sean O’Brien.

Swing the ball around the perimeter and find the open man for a corner-three with Touch Passing. “You’ll have the ability to square up on the catch for a catch-and-shot with no delay, and smooth animation,” says Dougan.

Animations have also been polished across the board. “We’ve run more mo-cap shoots this year than any other basketball game I’ve ever worked on,” says senior designer Ryan Santos.

However it’s not just more mo-cap that matters, but the type of mo-cap. “We’re playing a lot of 5-on-5 and just letting the talent play hoops. We then grab the motion we need from that to get a much more natural look.”

The focus on improving animations in NBA LIVE 16 went well beyond sharper passing.

“We’ve added thousands of new animations with LIVE Motion,” says Dougan. In total, there are over 8,000 new animations in NBA LIVE 16, which add up to make off-ball movement more realistic.

“Players are physical and aware of each other,” adds Dougan. “You can bump cutters, swim around players and deny the ball. There’s a lot more physicality.”

“This team listens to player feedback religiously,” says O’Brien. “We pride ourselves on it.”

Everything starts with what fans tell the team about their game, and the group at Tiburon is focused on delivering the most realistic basketball experience to those who love NBA LIVE.

“This game isn’t being built for us,” says O’Brien. “It’s being built for our fans.”
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: 4 Key Gameplay Upgrades in NBA Live 16

Postby JBulls on Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:20 am

I wish that they would state without any doubt or ambiguity that they're replacing their old legacy animations with ones from their new system.
JBulls

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:41 am

I imagine they're being phased out.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JBulls on Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:07 pm

Key word being "imagine."
JBulls

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:24 pm

Touche.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:29 am

I stopped playing both games months ago and have no urge to continue anymore, I've come to terms with the fact both 2K and Live have no plans in the near future to do anything different and just continue taking baby steps.
What I'm talking about is I've been a vocal critic on this forum for a long time of both 2K and Live continuing to use their early 2000 era game engines to THIS DAY... and just continually spit shining the same turd over and over again (they call it "polishing" and "additions")

Anyway what they're saying about Live 16 here basically confirms sure there will be welcome changes, but "for the most part" it still is the same game underneath it all where it matters most @ the core of the game in the physics system that everything is based on

I don't expect any studio to build a new engine in the middle of the Xbox1 and PS4 console cycle, but in a short few years when Xbox2 and PS5 come out.... which one of you is going to let this crap fly once again into 2020, I mean can you even imagine playing whats basically a modified 2003 game in 2020 ??
ChrisCP3Paul

Return to NBA Live 16