How I rediscovered the NBA Live series

Talk about NBA Live 16 here.

How I rediscovered the NBA Live series

Postby cricnewbye on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:52 pm

I'm always been a PC gamer and I bought several NBA Live games between 2003 and 2008 though I was not a big Basketball fan, and preferred Hockey and NFL to Basketball in those days. Then the series disappeared from PC and until NBA 2k11 I didn't buy any Basketball game. With NBA 2k11 I got interested in this genre once more and enjoyed many awesome Mods between 2k11 and 2k14. Last summer I bought a Playstation 4 and a whole new gaming world opened for me, but I still bought 2k16 for the PC. Right after the summer, I decided that my Desktop PC should be dedicated to seriious work only and so actually stopped playing any games on the PC and moved completely to the PS4 for this purpose. Pity that my NBA 2k16 is still on Steam.... anyway I decided to buy NBA LIVE 16 for the PS4 , just becasue it costed much less than the PS4 version of NBA 2k16, and surprisingly I'm really enjoying it!! Even more than NBA 2k16! I just like that to me this game is more immediate.... and yes easier.... I just enjoyed the games more even if I reckon that 2k16 is more complete.
So this is how from a choice of moving to consoles only, I started playing a game that is made only for consoles and actually enjoyed it a lot even if it's clear that it is inferior to his opponent...
Just to share this silly personal experience, have a nice Superbowl Sunday all.
cricnewbye

Re: How I rediscovered the NBA Live series

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:12 am

There's a lot of good in this game, people are just scared to give it a try. I've been playing 2K for two months straight, and it's such a mental grind for no reason. I made the playoffs and had to take a break from myCareer, and I've never done that before. But with Live, I just pick it up and play Tip off or Pro-Am and I just have fun with it. The online commentary and trash talk in Pro Am is also entertaining and it shows that people actually love playing the game regardless of outside influence
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:59 am

NBA Live has some solid tech in place that's been improving over the past couple of years, but overall the games need more polish and depth. There is definitely room for improvement, and a lot of improvement is still needed in some cases, but a lot of the basics are there. I've always preferred NBA Live's approach to controls, and while they also need to be a bit deeper, they are very accessible, lending themselves better to "pick up and play" than NBA 2K does at times.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:47 am

2k's biggest problem is that when it is first released it is pretty darn good. But as the updates keep coming along they are constantly altering the game, taking things out, adjusting and readjusting things, etc to the point that it becomes unplayable. However, imo, 2k16 has been hurt the most by all the changes. I couldn't get thru 1 qtr anymore by the time I deleted it completely. Many people kept saying to just get better, but how is that possible when every time you turn the game on a new update adjusts the game play.

2k will not be getting any more of my money in the future.

It took me a while to adjust to Live but now I love it and can't wait to get back to it. I don't feel like the developers are dictating to me how I must play. I also don't need to use all 10 fingers and toes to perform various moves. I don't cuss out the game. In fact, I kinda relax while playing. I play Rising Star only. I never got into the online thing with any game.

I agree Live has things to improve upon but to me it is still a good game.
Last edited by StyxTx on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:17 pm

It's steadily improving, though NBA Live 17 does need to make some big leaps.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:35 am

StyxTx wrote:2k's biggest problem is that when it is first released it is pretty darn good. But as the updates keep coming along they are constantly altering the game, taking things out, adjusting and readjusting things, etc to the point that it becomes unplayable. However, imo, 2k16 has been hurt the most by all the changes. I couldn't get thru 1 qtr anymore by the time I deleted it completely. Many people kept saying to just get better, but how is that possible when every time you turn the game on a new update adjusts the game play.

2k will not be getting any more of my money in the future.

It took me a while to adjust to Live but now I love it and can't wait to get back to it. I don't feel like the developers are dictating to me how I must play. I also don't need to use all 10 fingers and toes to perform various moves. I don't cuss out the game. In fact, I kinda relax while playing. I play Rising Star only. I never got into the online thing with any game.

I agree Live has things to improve upon but to me it is still a good game.

2K's substitution method for 2K16 is the dumbest thing known to man, not sure who came up with that idea. They don't have any ideas on how to improve their game play that's why they try to sell Spike Lee and whoever to endorse the soundtrack.

I really hope EA gets creative with their features next year, and expand on Live Run
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:56 am

I think they've really got to flesh out Dynasty Mode and Rising Star, too. It's overdue. Also, roster customisation is essential. It can't all happen within one production cycle, but there are a few basic features that definitely can't be "next year" goals.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:24 am

Andrew wrote:I think they've really got to flesh out Dynasty Mode and Rising Star, too. It's overdue. Also, roster customisation is essential. It can't all happen within one production cycle, but there are a few basic features that definitely can't be "next year" goals.

I hope they have found an identity for Dynasty, they really need to figure out how to make it appealing. Even I wouldn't mind doing a season of that
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:28 am

Step one is bringing back some basic functionality, such as the transactions listing, and the ability to manually edit jersey numbers.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:28 am

Andrew wrote:Step one is bringing back some basic functionality, such as the transactions listing, and the ability to manually edit jersey numbers.

Maybe start the wishlist thread for 17? Not being negative but I wonder if it makes a difference. Do you think they really take our suggestions seriously? I'm most offended by how they ignored me during Live 15 when I kept bringing up the manual bounce, lob, and lead pass and then they clearly ignored the free throw line freeze issue because it's still happening in 16. I still have people commenting on the vid I made about the freeze glitch from 15 and they're saying it's happening to them in 16.
Izzy Snow

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:22 pm

Yeah, it's definitely time to create our "official" Wishlist threads, so I need to get onto that. Based on my conversations with the development team last year, they're definitely aware of the feedback and a lot of the stuff that people want. It's been more a case of other priorities getting in the way, not having enough time within one development cycle, and so forth. But like Ben and I said on a recent Podcast, for some of these things, it can't be a case of "next year"; some of it has to be "this year" stuff.

I guess bottom line, it doesn't cost us anything to throw these ideas out there and submit them to the team. Never any harm in trying.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby 22cedric on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:37 am

Here are some great things I would like to see in NBA Live 17 via The Gaming Tailgate

NBA LIVE 17 needs a big year to help pacify and meet the lofty expectations and demands of the basketball community.

Community Involvement & Interaction; Marketing: There is a passionate group of NBA LIVE fans who tweet, livestream, post videos featuring game ideas and feedback, and genuinely desire to see the franchise succeed. Some of these same fans have felt their feedback and ideas are not being heard as there is an understandable lack of response - it would be impossible for all videos and comments to be noticed and/or receive a reply. While the idea behind their public game feedback and ideas are genuine and well-intentioned, the franchise needs more public videos of bugs and issues like the proverbial hole in the head. After all, isn't that part of the reason the franchise is in the position it finds itself in?

There are ways to channel this feedback into a productive manner, such as establishing a public e-mail account for feedback to be sent to or perhaps copy what NCAA Football and Madden NFL have done in the past with crowd-sourcing information. If the feedback is truly welcome, this could help ensure as many details as possible are included and properly represented in the game as well as fostering and growing the community.

Community members who share feedback want to know they are being heard or feel that they are helping in some small way with the title. As the franchise keeps improving, the community payoff in waiting to see if feedback has been heard or utilized cannot come only once a year - it needs to be an on-going practice. Currently, the inability to develop consistent feedback and interaction with the community is only alienating fans and perpetuating doubts that the franchise is not long for this world.

Perhaps most importantly, the company needs to market the game. With the lack of mainstream marketing efforts for the title at launch, some fans take it as a vote of 'no confidence' by the studio while leaving casual fans in the dark about the mere existence of the title.

The Fundamentals

- More Accurate Rosters, Editing & Sharing: Perhaps the most basic starting point for any sports game, rosters have been a sore point for the franchise since its return with NBA LIVE 14. While the goal seemingly began to utilize Synergy for updated daily rosters, it currently takes weekly updates for roster changes to be implemented and reflected in-game. d Each year it has taken weeks for rookies and new players (acquired or traded) mid-season to finally be reflected in-game. Players/rookies who have yet to play are bad enough, but when key contributors are missing, one of the lowest base expectations of the game (correct rosters) has not been met. In addition, there have been weeks in which no roster update was issued - with no communication from the studio/dev team. These issues have existed for three years under three different designers in charge of rosters which indicates a larger issue with the roster technology and methodology, especially when the competing basketball title can push out daily roster updates.

This issue could have been somewhat alleviated if the game included roster editing, player creation, and roster sharing similar to that found in the Madden NFL franchise

Gameplay

- Improved/Revamped Post Game: For as much as the perimeter game in NBA LIVE has improved in the last three years, the post game has received little to no help or focus. Signature moves, more variation of moves and outcomes, and more animations would go a long ways here. Worth noting is that the franchise has been solid in terms of making top shot blockers and rebounders stand out. Rebounding animations and logic have been cleaned up in 16, but there's still work to be done.

- Improved Defense (Help Defense, Lane Denial, etc.): Perhaps the biggest complaint regarding NBA LIVE's gameplay is that it's just too easy to get to the basket. Players under the basket are slow to come over and contest drives in their role as the last line of defense and are just not effective enough when they do.

- In-Game Injuries: Perhaps the one gameplay feature that has the biggest ripple effect. Aside from the obvious realism, in-game injuries would help (force?) users to manage a roster in Dynasty Mode, think twice about always driving the lane during gameplay, and utilize a range of players in Ultimate Team.

- Increased User Control & Strategy Controls/Elements: One of the most-repeated lines regarding the direction and goal of gameplay within franchise the last three years has been in providing the utmost control to the user, typically in the form of quick responsiveness. However, that same amount of control does not exist or has been removed in other game areas, such as the ability to select the screener on pick & roll and a manual control options for bounce passes and floaters.

Furthermore and more importantly, some strategy settings do not appear to work or are bugged (legacy issues, at that) - making both the interface and implementation so discouraging that the game is virtually forcing users away from using strategy elements. These non-working or bugged strategy options may be one of the reasons team play styles do not match their real-life counterparts, another big ticket gameplay item that needs addressed.

- Authentic Team Styles, CPU/Player AI, etc.: While NBA LIVE 16 helped make top players stand out and become offensive threats (as compared to being excessively PG-centric in the past), there is little to no differentiation in team playing styles. As mentioned above, this issue may be due in part to some strategy settings/options not working, such as Tempo & Crash Boards. Working plus additional settings, options, and plays (team-specific, offensive, and defensive) may help address this issue.

AI has been an issue for the franchise, namely as it relates to situational and late-game moments. Making the CPU appear more realistic, engaged, and intelligent throughout the course of the game would help each team and game feel unique, as well.

- Improved Animations, Player Movement & Transitions, etc.: A given in terms of natural progression and development for the game, but still worth mentioning. Improved animations have greatly aided the game both visually and in terms of gameplay the last few years. However, there are still plenty of old or disjointed animations that stand out, almost jarring the user's ability to be immersed in a game that is very sharp visually in many areas.

Features

- All-Star Weekend: One of the most-requested features, NBA LIVE fans have been asking for All-Star Weekend (ASW) to return for years. Currently, the game only has the All-Star Game. Fans have been hoping for other festivities to be included which could include the Rising Stars Challenge, All-Star Celebrity Game, Shooting Stars, Skills Challenge, Three-Point Contest, and Slam Dunk competition. The Slam Dunk competition would be the most difficult considering it would require its own set of mechanics.

All-Star Weekend has its own feel and is when many casual sports fans begin to pay close attention to the NBA. Incorporating ASW would add a mid-season break (and fun) to Dynasty and Rising Star modes. Including an online element to the festivities would add depth to this inclusion, while using licensed legends as part of the Shooting Stars event would ring nostalgic for many. As you can tell, there are many opportunities and possibilities for how All-Star Weekend could be incorporated into multiple facets of the game.
22cedric

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:44 am

Fantastic breakdown by The Gaming Tailgate there. Once again though, I'd also throw in beefing up Dynasty Mode with some basic functionality, and some extra bells and whistles, to get it back on track.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 16