How to score by shooting in NBA Live 15?

Talk about NBA Live 15 here.

How to score by shooting in NBA Live 15?

Postby romraptor on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:03 am

I bought the game recently for PS4 and have no problem winning against the CPU on Pro level. However, in order for me to win I have to rely on:
fastbreak dunks
eurostep
passing a big man close to the basket e.g. by holding L2 until he slips

Could someone please tell me how to score by shooting i.e. creating enough free space?
If an opponent is even remotely close I hit 1/10 at best.

L2 doesn't seem to help that much or I'm doing it wrong?
Neither does L1 (I'm not even sure I know what it does).
Lastly, the stepback move (triangle) doesn't seem to create enough space either.
romraptor

Re: How to score by shooting in NBA Live 15?

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:32 am

Pick and roll should help. There is a window between your defender getting screened and the help defender coming over, but you still need space from your defender.

Also, people have been complaining about that for a while. It seems contested shots towards the perimeter are still high percentage, while contested shots at the rim are not low percentage. So the majority of people are finding success by pounding it inside.

When the game first came out, it was too easy. EA made it a little too hard after the update in their attempt to compensate, but something weird has gone on since then. There have been reports of the game receiving a daily synergy update over the course of the year that would cause the low percentage, and then all of a sudden the user plays another game expecting the low percentage but was hitting everything, and then another game it would revert back to poor shooting. It's hard to speculate on what is going on, but the game may be tracking the shooting percentages and adjusting on the fly for each game, but waiting too long and over adjusting instead of finding a good balance. Nobody has really figured it out, but there are plenty of people who have success shooting, and they say you really need to be open, and shooting with your good shooters, which is a given.

With that said, the way I always did it was to get the ball in the paint while focusing on the help defense and which of my teammates on the perimeter they are leaving instead of forcing it up in traffic, and then kicking it to the open player.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:14 am

To me, contested shots inside are impossible to make. If the game registers your shot as a layup, then it doesn't take the defender into account.

once I got better players in ultimate team, I started expanding and experimenting with mid range jumpers off the screen
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby romraptor on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:55 am

I'm going to try passing the ball out from the paint. However, after watching some playoff games just now I find it very unrealistic that players need to be like 7 to 10 feet away from the opponent to hit a shot.
romraptor

Postby [Q] on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:19 am

Yes, but you will obviously be more successful at hitting contested jumpers with players who have high ratings. Kobe won't need as much room as Ronnie price
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:30 am

As I mentioned in another thread, it definitely feels like something has gone awry with the open/contested/guarded shot logic following some of the patches, as shooters who are definitely open register as having their shots guarded/contested, because a defender was somewhere in the vicinity (but not actively getting a hand in their face). There also appears to be the possibility that having a teammate in the vicinity of the shooter also causes a shot to register as guarded or contested.

It's frustrating, but effective use of picks and size-ups can combat it to some extent. It's a sign of how the game really needs sliders to tweak and adjust aspects of the gameplay like this.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 15