Contested Shot Logic

Talk about NBA Live 15 here.

Contested Shot Logic

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:08 pm

This is something that I hope is fixed up in NBA Live 16: logic on contested shots. The game is pretty generous towards the defense, to the point where players who do have pretty wide open looks at the basket but have a defender somewhere in the vicinity (though not in their face) are considered to have had their shot guarded or contested according to the shot feedback. A quick example:

phpBB [video]

Annoyingly, it seems to favour CPU opponents a little more, and I feel it's become more of an issue following the patches. I believe they've tuned the logic a bit, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as jumpshots were a little too easy out of the box. However, I think it's gone a little bit too far the other way.

If nothing else, I feel it's a good example of how sliders could really help the game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Contested Shot Logic

Postby Arcane on Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:19 pm

Yep hate that it needs to be improved for Live 16 I am finding it harder to play a mid range game compared to 2K15 so I hope that's fix as well
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:45 am

Yeah I find myself going for layups on every possession since its so hard to hit a jumper. Once I started getting better players in UT, I began shooting more 3s, but no midrange
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:49 am

Qballer wrote:Yeah I find myself going for layups on every possession since its so hard to hit a jumper. Once I started getting better players in UT, I began shooting more 3s, but no midrange

Exactly, which feels cheesy, but it's the most reliable strategy. Granted, getting to the basket and looking for high percentage shots is the thing to do in real life when you really need to score, but an open midrange jumpshot is generally a pretty good option too. It feels like we're being screwed out of what really are wide open looks.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:34 am

This is why sliders are so important for nba live 16.

Jumpshots are out of the question in live 15 unless your call for a screen to run off in which case it's money but this takes away from the assist game and forces a lot of shots to come from driving to the basket.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:44 am

Absolutely agree. Fortunately, they're in the roadmap for NBA Live 16...hopefully, that hasn't changed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:03 am

If they have lost site of that then they, imo have lost the war vs 2k.

I have said this over and over but nba live and 2k in the past made a great game module but it's US the buyers who take there game to to the communities and make it better through sliders edits and roster creating.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:44 am

Customisation is key, both in getting the product we want (slider tweaks) and longevity (the creativity of custom rosters). I really hope nothing's gotten in the way of it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:13 pm

I think and agree like you and Ben stated in the Podcast that the cpu logic was that there a man stood 2 feet away from you regardless of which team they were on so therefore there logic is that you are contested.

It really needs to be addressed for Live 16.

I have played a lot of Live 15 of late and have had to lower the difficulty level down from superstar to allstar just so I have a more controlled pace and have a chance to hit a few jumpers and 3's because that just isn't happening on superstar while the drives at will and makes it rain all day.

Again EA.... Sliders...
mp3

Postby cdj on Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:33 pm

Couldn't agree more with everyone here.

It seemed like an update in December (IIRC) was where things took a major turn for the worst. Not to beat a dead horse, but since then going for lay-ups is the only bona fide offensive strategy in the game and threes if you can get wide open off screens or get the defender lost in transition.

I respect the idea of what EA was trying to do (though I think there's possibly a bug/issue at play as well) with making it difficult to hit shots when guarded, but right now it's very slim odds to hit a contested or guarded shot, if not nil. The pendulum went way too far in wrong direction.
cdj

Postby Cpt(K) on Sat May 30, 2015 1:49 pm

I'm a bit late, but what I find most effective up to this point when jumpshooting is coming off a screen, but if you're a PG and want assists you must call a play specifically designed for a route-shoot where an off-ball player runs around and gets open (usually by ways of screens), and I've seen success by passing just before they reach the between-area of the arc and the paint. Usually their defender gets stuck on two men on the block, which leaves him open for a few seconds.

Excuse the rough/lazy drawing.
Cpt(K)

Postby Andrew on Sat May 30, 2015 1:56 pm

Good tips. In some of the recent games I've played, I've definitely had some more success knocking down shots that were wide, wide open, or coming off screens. I still think it was over-tweaked in one of the patches, and we definitely need sliders for these things, but it's definitely felt a bit better in the recent games I've played. As far as I'm aware, no major content updates have been pushed through as of late, so perhaps I've adjusted a bit.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 15