RELEASED UBR addons FIRST UP: "WHAT IF?" roster V1

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K14 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

RELEASED UBR addons FIRST UP: "WHAT IF?" roster V1

Postby ChrisBrodbeck on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:14 pm

"WHAT IF?"

Ultimate Base Roster Addon

DOWNLOAD

IMPORTANT: For this little Addon to work you obviously need to have the latest version of UBR for 2K14 installed

Disclaimer: I'm aware that Andrew is planning a very simular project. I pm'ed Hawk just 2 days with the same idea before the last podcast episode was released and had allready begone working on this roster. I did check in with Andrew before release to make sure that I did not steal his idea and that he is fine with me releasing this roster. With that said, back to the project. :wink:

I was sitting around with a friend of mine and we thought about the biggest "what if's" in NBA history we could come up with and how much fun it would be to just have them playable in videogame form. Rather then making trades within the necessary rosters, I decided to compile them into one roster. In the end, I compiled 30 of these "what if's" in this rosterfile. Now all these "What if's" were close or even very close of becomming a reality. Here are the teams:

01. 1970-71 Los Angeles Lakers

"What if": The Lakers could convince Russell to come out of retirement in 1970?
source

STARTING 5: Chamberlain, Russell, Erickson, Goodrich, West

02. 1971-72 New York Nets (ABA, projected team in 1971)

"What if": Kareem went to the ABA instead of the NBA in 1969?
source

STARTING 5: Abdul-Jabbar, Paultz, Barry, Taylor, Melchionni

03. 1972-73 Milwaukee Bucks

"What if": Julius Erving went to the NBA and started his career with Abdul-Jabbar and the Big O?
source

STARTING 5: Abdul Jabar, Perry, Erving, Dandridge, Robertson

04. 1972-73 Atlanta Hawks

"What if": Julius Erving was allowed to join the Atlanta Hawks in 1972?
source

STARTING 5: Bellamy, Washington, Erving, Hudson, Maravich

05. 1976-77 Portland Trailblazers

"What if": The Blazers didn't trade the rights to Moses before the 1976 NBA season?
source

STARTING 5: Walton, Malone, Gross, Davis, Hollins

06. 1982-83 Los Angeles Lakers

"What if": Instead of drafting James Worthy, the Lakers choose Dominique Wilkins?
source

STARTING 5: Abdul-Jabar, Rambis, Wilkins, Nixon, Johnson, with Cooper and McAdoo off the bench

07. 1984-85 New Jersey Nets

"What if": Oscar Schmidt joined the Nets after the 1984 NBA Draft?
source

STARTING 5: Gminski, Williams, Schmidt, Birdong, Richardson with Dawkins off the bench

08. 1984-85 Portland Trailblazers (THE BIG ONE)

"What if": the Trailblazers selected Michael Jordan instead of Sam Bowie?
source

STARTING 5: Thompson, Vandeweghe, Drexler, Jordan, Valentine

09. 1986-87 Portland Trailblazers

"What if": Sabonis came over to America in his prime and joined the Trailblazers?
source

STARTING 5: Sabonis, Vandeweghe, Kersey, Drexler, Porter

10. 1986-87 Boston Celtics (THE OTHER BIG ONE)

"What if": Len Bias didn't die and joined the Celtics?
source

STARTING 5: Parish, McHale, Bird, Ainge, Johnson with Bias off the bench

11. 1987-88 Seattle Supersonics

"What if": The Seattle SuperSonics didn't trade Scottie Pippen after the '87 Draft?
source

STARTING 5: Chambers, McDaniel, Pippen, Ellis, McMillan

12. 1993-94 Orlando Magic

"What if": Webber wasn't traded to Golden State after the 1993 Draft?
source

STARTING 5: O'Neal, Webber, Scott, Anderson, Skiles

13. 1994-95 Seattle Supersonics

"What if": Clyde Drexler was traded to the Seattle SuperSonics in 1995?
source

STARTING 5:STARTING 5:

14. 1996-97 Charlotte Hornets

"What if": The Charlotte Hornets didn't trade Kobe for Vlade Divac after the 1996 Draft?
source

STARTING 5: Geiger, Mason, Rice, Bryant, Bogues

15. 1997-98 Philadelphia 76ers

"What if": The 76ers selected Tracy McGrady instead of Keith Van Horn in the 1997 Draft? Now I know, there also was a trade rumor about McGrady going to Philly for Larry Hughes either 99 or 2000, maybe I'll switch to that version later.
source

STARTING 5: Ratliff, Coleman, McGrady, Iverson, Snow

16. 1999-00 Milwaukee Bucks
(projected team for 1999)

"What if": The Bucks didn't trade Nowitzki after the 1998 NBA Draft?
source

STARTING 5: Johnson, Nowitzki, Robinson, Allen, Cassell

17. 1999-00 Vancouver Grizzlies

"What if": Steve Francis didn't force his way out of Canada?
source

STARTING 5:Reeves, Abdur-Rahim, Scott, Francis, Bibby

18. 2000-01 Orlando Magic

"What if": Tim Duncan joined Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady in Orlando?
source

STARTING 5:
Duncan, Outlaw, Hill, McGrady, Armstrong

19. 2003-04 Detroit Pistons

"What if": The Pistons selected Carmelo Anthony instead of Darko Milicic?
source

STARTING 5: B.Wallace, R.Wallace, Anthony, Hamilton, Billups with Prince off the bench

20. 2003-04 San Antonio Spurs

"What if": Jason Kidd signed with the Spurs in 2003?
source

STARTING 5: Nesterovic, Duncan, Bowen, Ginobili, Kidd with Parker off the bench

21. 2004-05 Los Angeles Clippers

"What if": Kobe Bryant had signed with the Clippers instead of the Lakers in 2004?
source

STARTING 5: Kaman, Brand, Maggette, Bryant, Jaric

22. 2005-06 Atlanta Hawks

"What if": Atlanta Hawks selected Chris Paul instead of Marvin Williams in 2005?
source

STARTING 5: Pachulia, Harrington, Smith, Johnson, Paul

23. 2005-06 Dallas Mavericks

"What if": The Dallas Mavericks resigned soon to be MVP Steve Nash in 2006?
source

STARTING 5: Dampier, Nowitzki, Howard, Terry, Nash

24. 2007-08 Portland Trailblazers

"What if": The Blazers selected Kevin Durant instead of Greg Oden in 2007?
source

STARTING 5: Przybilla, Aldridge, Durant, Roy, Blake

25. 2009-10 Cleveland Cavaliers

"What if": Amare was traded to the Cavs in 2010?
source

STARTING 5: O'Neal, Stoudemire, James, Parker, Williams

26. 2009-10 Oklahoma City Thunder (projected team for 09/10)

"What if": The Tyson Chandler to OKC trade didn't get vetoed in 2009?
source

STARTING 5: Chandler, Ibaka, Durant, Sefolosha, Westbrook with Harden and Green off the bench

27. 2009-10 Portland Trailblazers (projected team for 09/10)

"What if": Oden and Roy stayed healthy and developed together in Portland?
source

STARTING 5: Oden, Aldridge, Batum, Roy, Miller

28. 2010-11 New York Knicks (mix of 09/10 and 10/11 team with King James)

"What if": LeBron James took his talents to the Big Apple instead of South Beach in 2010?
source

STARTING 5: Stoudemire, Gallinari, James, Chandler, Billups

29. 2010-11 Minnesota Timberwolves (projected team for 10/11)

"What if": The T'Wolves selected Curry instead of Jonny Flynn in 2009?
source

STARTING 5: Pekovic, Love, Beasley, Curry, Rubio

30. 2011-12 Los Angeles Lakers

"What if": The Chris Paul trade didn't get vetoed in 2011?
source

STARTING 5: Bynum, Murphy, World Peace, Bryant, Paul

There you have it. If you find any bugs, have ideas for more "What if's", see any errors for ages/numbers/ratings etc., just post a reply. (Y)

Included in the pack are 3 art files that need to be added to your main NBA 2K14 folder. Don't worry, this won't effect UBR or any other mod at all. 2 files will fix the 1971 New York Nets jerseys, while the 3rd file adds a tattoo-less version of Len Bias.

DOWNLOAD
Last edited by ChrisBrodbeck on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisBrodbeck

Re: UBR addons FIRST UP: "WHAT IF?" roster V1

Postby Reddwarf33 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:05 am

Some nice scenarios, Chris.

If #8 Jordan to Portland happened then #9 would have been Sabonis, Vandeweghe, Drexler, Jordan and Porter - with Sabonis in 86 -87 being the best big man on the planet. Given that Vandeweghe really played like a small forward and Sabonis's love of the 3 there may not have been a lot of inside work happening.

All they really needed was Ralph Sampson before he hurt his back at GS in 87 and there wouldn't have been enough ball to go around or space outside the key :lol:
Reddwarf33

Postby ChrisBrodbeck on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:55 am

Talking about Sampson, another scenario that's actually not too far off: prior to the '84 Draft Houston offered Sampson for Drexler and the No.3 pick to Portland. See were this is going?
ChrisBrodbeck

Postby Reddwarf33 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:38 am

Was that the number 3 pick or Portland's #2 pick - the Sam Bowie pick?

So Houston would have had Drexler and drafted Hakeem and Jordan 1 and 2 and because Portland had Sampson they wouldn't have picked poor Sam Bowie (it wasn't his fault he was drafted in front of Jordan or that he had leg issues almost as bad as Walton's). Bowie may have gone to Hawk's Bulls at #3 to replace Corzine and Oldham.
Reddwarf33

Postby ChrisBrodbeck on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:47 am

Yeah, I had my facts wrong right there. Houston offered Sampson for Drexler and the No.2 pick.

If that would have happened, Houston could have ended up with Hakeem, Drexler and Jordan in 1984. Now that's a dynasty. Possibly beating out Boston, L.A. and Detroit during the rest of the 80s and carrying to the 90s.
ChrisBrodbeck

Postby vnardella5 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:06 am

what if the lakers persuaded melo and leborn this year?
vnardella5

Postby Maximus89 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:57 am

Yep i came to mention the biggest what if would be Houston trading Sampson for Drexler and the #2 pick to get Jordan.
They had McRay and Reid at SF, so they could have ran Drexler at the 2 and Jordan at the 1.
Maximus89

Postby Reddwarf33 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:40 pm

I think they would have played McCray at PF rather than having MJ play PG, especially as a rookie. McCray could rebound and play D and would have been adequate at PF which is all they would have needed at the time.
Reddwarf33

Postby radas1979 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:54 pm

What if 1980 Celtics instead of Maravich would have signed one of the greatest European players, Nick Galis?(1987 euro,13.000 points in Greece etc) Starting Five :Archibald,Galis,Bird,Maxwell,Cowens
Another good big if is 1994 draft Kidd and Hill(NCAA champion and better college statistics could landed 1st or 2nd draft choice)
radas1979

Postby stockalone1232 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:11 pm

Great idea (Y)

that's German ingeneering :lol: :applaud:

do you think of adding some teams later?
NBA & Fútbol-Freak from Germany.
Check out for Retro Sweet FX, NBC Mod and other stuff: viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96175
stockalone1232

Postby radas1979 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:56 pm

practically there are countless what if:
in 1956 if Celtics wouldn't give Mcaulley to Hawks Starting Five :Martin,McMahon,Naulls,Pettit,Russell
in 1960 draft if lakers and royals made the opposites choices(west as royal and big O as laker)
in 1962 draft if Hondo drafted before eg Hawks
etc
radas1979

Postby radas1979 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:24 am

Tal Brody(famous Maccabi player)could have been in 1965 Baltimore Bullets
Dave Bing could have been played for the knicks instead of Frazer
if that happended Earl Monroe or Walt Frazier could have been Piston the next year
and they wouldn't trade debusschere next year 1969 pistons Starting 5:Monroe of Frazier,Miles,Dischinger,Debusschere,Bellamy
radas1979

Postby Maximus89 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:28 am

What if T-Mac never leaves VCarter and Toronto

What if TMac plays with Duncan AND healthy Hill In Orlando

What If TMAC never demands trade to Rockets and stays to play with young Dwight.

What if TMAC and YAO are healthy and play every season together. They might still be teammates today.
Maximus89

Postby ChrisBrodbeck on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:04 am

stockalone1232 wrote:Great idea (Y)

that's German ingeneering :lol: :applaud:

do you think of adding some teams later?

Haha, thanks! :mrgreen: I'm glad you like it!

YES! I'm absolutly willing to add more, but....

radas1979 wrote:What if 1980 Celtics instead of Maravich would have signed one of the greatest European players, Nick Galis?(1987 euro,13.000 points in Greece etc) Starting Five :Archibald,Galis,Bird,Maxwell,Cowens
Another good big if is 1994 draft Kidd and Hill(NCAA champion and better college statistics could landed 1st or 2nd draft choice)

radas1979 wrote:practically there are countless what if:
in 1956 if Celtics wouldn't give Mcaulley to Hawks Starting Five :Martin,McMahon,Naulls,Pettit,Russell
in 1960 draft if lakers and royals made the opposites choices(west as royal and big O as laker)
in 1962 draft if Hondo drafted before eg Hawks
etc

radas1979 wrote:Tal Brody(famous Maccabi player)could have been in 1965 Baltimore Bullets
Dave Bing could have been played for the knicks instead of Frazer
if that happended Earl Monroe or Walt Frazier could have been Piston the next year
and they wouldn't trade debusschere next year 1969 pistons Starting 5:Monroe of Frazier,Miles,Dischinger,Debusschere,Bellamy

Maximus89 wrote:What if T-Mac never leaves VCarter and Toronto

What if TMac plays with Duncan AND healthy Hill In Orlando

What If TMAC never demands trade to Rockets and stays to play with young Dwight.

What if TMAC and YAO are healthy and play every season together. They might still be teammates today.

here's the thing: During my research I ONLY included scenarios that were actually very close of happening. If I'd approach this mod with the mindset of "what if player 'X' went to team 'Y' and then player 'Z' came there too?" well, then there are millions of scenarios. And to be honest, I'm not interested in that. IF you guys can provide sources that a certain scenario almost happend, THEN I'm gladly adding requested teams to the roster. At the end of the day, that's what it's all about, right? Having fun with this, but it has to stay based on reality.

With that said, I'll certainly add the MJ/Hakeem/Glide '84 Rockets. Please continue to post your teams you'd like to see and play, but with sources please. :wink:
ChrisBrodbeck

Re: RELEASED UBR addons FIRST UP: "WHAT IF?" roster V1

Postby radas1979 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:14 am

for the 1980 Celtics this is the source http://www.celticslife.com/2011/10/top- ... -nick.html
in 1957 celtics is in any Russell biography because Hawks drafted him (its the same as kobe)
radas1979

Postby radas1979 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:17 am

radas1979

Postby aaron91 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:26 pm

The '11 Knicks isnt a possible team. Billups was received from Denver in the Melo trade so if its Bron and Amare with no Melo than there is no Billups. A better early '10s Knicks team I think to include would be what if Chris Paul actually formed the Big 3 with Melo and Amare that they had planned?

Source: http://nypost.com/2010/07/12/paul-toast ... e-anthony/

Potential lineup:

PG: Paul SG: JR Smith SF: Carmelo Anthony PF: Amare Stoudemire C: Tyson Chandler

Another Knicks related lineup I'd love to see the What If of Bernard and Ewing teaming up in NY. After Bernard's injury in the mid-80's Knicks management shipped him out to build around Patrick. Howeer in hindsight it is clear that the one thing Patrick always needed but never got was a prominent wing scorer. After Bernard getting cut by the Knicks he was able to get hinself back into all-star form in the '90 season. Had this happened a potential lineup could be:

PG: Mark Jackson SG: Gerald Wilkins SF: Bernard King PF: Charles Oakley C: Patrick Ewing

I agree with the above poster that a Celtics team featuring international star Galis would be really fun to play as. He is like a throwback Tony Parker.

Two Dr. J related What If teams include both Dr J staying with the Nets and pairing with Tiny Archibald (the best PG in the league at the time) or Dr J's contract being traded to the Knicks as compensation for their merger fines. He would be paired with Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe and ABA superstar Spencer Haywood. Source: http://prohoopshistory.com/2013/09/17/n ... entennial/

Also one more idea I had was an expansion on a team you already have. It was said that Len Bias could have elongated Bird and McHales careers but it is also said that 2 time Celtic All-star Reggie Lewis could have done the same thing. Reggie Lewis was an established star who often went toe to toe with Jordan. Reggie died in the middle of the '93 season. Had he and Bias both been alive they could have definitely elongated the Celtics Dynasty. Bird/McHale/Parish/Bias/Lewis
aaron91

Postby ChrisBrodbeck on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:56 pm

Very nice! I actually thought about Reggie Lewis and Bias together in the early 90s this morning, so let me see:

00. Change 10/11 LeBron Knicks - Yes I totally forgot about the fact that Billups came over from Denver, good catch

01. Hawks with Russell and Pettit

02. Nick Galis Celtics - Definitly in the next version

03. 84 Rockets, done

04. CP3/STAT/Melo Knicks will be included also

05. Reggie Lewis/Bias Celtics will be added

06. Dr. J Knicks will be added

07. Dr. J NBA Nets will be added

08. King/Ewing Knicks will be added

09. SUPER DUPER SECRET SPECIAL FANTASY TEAM OF MINE WHICH IS NOT BASED ON REALITY AT ALL, BUT I HOPE WILL BE VERY FUN TO PLAY

10. ?!?!

So lets get in one more for now, lets make it 10 and I'll start working on the update! (Y)
ChrisBrodbeck

Postby radas1979 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:32 pm

Also Moses Malone could be playing for 1977 New Orleans Jazz(Maravich,Malone) http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=jZ ... 35,6050566
radas1979

Postby Lackers31 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:48 am

How about Boston getting Duncan in 97 Draft? 2 Lottery picks in Billups and Mercer, but Pitino just missed out on a new Celtic dynasty.

I know it's a different what if, but could be an interesting team. (Walker, Billups?, Duncan)
Lackers31

Postby Murat on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:44 am

Actually, there is a problem with 2003-04 Pistons.

By the time when Milicic was drafted instead of Carmelo, Rasheed was still playing at Blazers. The trade of Wallace wouldn't even be done too.
Murat
I wanted you so bad, dear custom title
Contributor

Postby SC1211 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:25 am

http://www.texnews.com/1998/texsports/rockets0122.html

This is an interesting trade that got called off at the very last minute. Could have given Houston's late 90s big 3 one more push:

Stoudamire/Drexler/Williams/Barkley/Olajuwon
SC1211

Postby wikisaiyan on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:13 am

Wow, this idea and your execution is just awesome. :mrgreen:

I cant wait to see how many amazing scenarios you can come up with and add in the future :!:
wikisaiyan

Postby dwadeflash03 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:33 am

Hey man one possibility can be Miami's 2014 Final's roster with the addition of Carmelo Anthony which would make the roster - Bosh/Melo/James/Wade/Chalmers
And thats would make a really fun team to play with (Y) (Y)
dwadeflash03

Postby Maximus89 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:51 am

1994: Pippen for Kemp
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1102 ... ame/page/6

1997: Pippen for rookie Tracy McGrady
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1102 ... ame/page/8

1992: Charles Barkley for James Worthy
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1102 ... ame/page/8

1987: Michael Jordan to the Clippers which would net the Bulls Rick Smits and Mitch Richmond
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1102 ... me/page/10

2007: Kobe to the Bulls
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1102 ... me/page/11

2000: Iverson to Pistons in 3 team trade:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1102 ... ame/page/5

Speaking of the 84 Rockets, theres just as much chance the Rockets would have passed on Jordan with Drexler already at the 2 and drafted Barkley instead making their old late 90s 3some play their whole careers from the start which sounds cooler to me than just throwing Jordan on the Rockets.
Maximus89

Next

Return to NBA 2K14 Modding